Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now that you mention it, I am also curious whether letters to the editor are regarded as publications. I had one published in the NEJM in response to a big cardiology trial, but did not include in my application. I did not regard these as research experience and I feared inclusion would be perceived as "padding" my application.

pad away...my app is 30-40% padding. worked like a charm.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question. NEJM, Circ or JACC generally never publish case reports. NEJM does it only as a case records from Massachusetts general hospital, which almost is exclusive for Harvard authors. I am not sure what you mean by case reports in these journals. Circ and JACC may publish conference proceedings as abstracts from AHA and ACC conferences and these do not get indexed. By case reports do you mean letters to editors?

Case reports could be published in these journals by any of the above mentioned methods: Letters, Images in Cardiology or various other images sections etc., JACC imaging publishes case reports, Circulation publishes case reports (Joshua Beckman is the Editor for that section).

For NEJM, you are partially correct: They publish case reports from other institutions as well. I don't know if you follow those closely, but they have published cases from UCSF, Hopkins etc. And moreover you cant rule out the possibility of that I am "Harvard" author :)

Now that you mention it, I am also curious whether letters to the editor are regarded as publications. I had one published in the NEJM in response to a big cardiology trial, but did not include in my application. I did not regard these as research experience and I feared inclusion would be perceived as "padding" my application.

For sure! I have seen CVs of some of my mentors and they have included it in their list of publications. Its NEJM, how could you ignore this?

Members don't see this ad :)
For sure! I have seen CVs of some of my mentors and they have included it in their list of publications. Its NEJM, how could you ignore this?

A glamorous journal won't be ignored. Yet a letter to the editor won't typically have as much weight. Kinda splitting hairs here, though, in the grand scheme. It's the application, in its entirety, that matters.

Last edited:

well, water under the bridge at this point. i don't think emailing every program to disclose this omission will add much value, unless PC recommends it. this info may help future applicants and i can only hope this wont cost me. thanks

well, water under the bridge at this point. i don't think emailing every program to disclose this omission will add much value, unless PC recommends it. this info may help future applicants and i can only hope this wont cost me. thanks

Don't sweat it.

If a program retrieved all my info on 7/15 and 7/18 and re-retrieved all infro today 7/31 ( i had everything and was retrieved before) does it mean they are interested. No other program has done this. Found it strange. The program requires a supplemental and I wonder if they used this to screen. Any comments. I am hopeful as this prog is on my top five.

If a program retrieved all my info on 7/15 and 7/18 and re-retrieved all infro today 7/31 ( i had everything and was retrieved before) does it mean they are interested. No other program has done this. Found it strange. The program requires a supplemental and I wonder if they used this to screen. Any comments. I am hopeful as this prog is on my top five.

The re-retrieval is an ERAS "feature." Do not read anything into it as the program had nothing to do with it. It just happened on the ERAS side.

No seriously...don't.

Stop it...now you just look sad.

The re-retrieval is an ERAS "feature." Do not read anything into it as the program had nothing to do with it. It just happened on the ERAS side.

No seriously...don't.

Stop it...now you just look sad.

LOL. thanks. hoping to interview being on ERAS side :naughty:

Don't sweat it.

Hi PC,

For GI, how many interviews should we plan to go to in order to match. I am starting to run into to interview date conflicts so I have to choose one interview over the other program with not much flexibility. It seems as though GI interviews are all late sept and oct. How do we manage this? Thanks.

Hi PC,

I was wondering how quick a response time is expected on interview offers before they get offered to someone else? I will be intermittently unavailable during the season and ERAS does not have an out-of-office reply option. Is it expected within a few hours or is a next-day response acceptable? Thank you!

Hi PC,

For GI, how many interviews should we plan to go to in order to match. I am starting to run into to interview date conflicts so I have to choose one interview over the other program with not much flexibility. It seems as though GI interviews are all late sept and oct. How do we manage this? Thanks.

I'm not terribly in-the-know on GI, so take my input with a grain of salt. Looking at the NRMP-AAMC stats released earlier this year, there are fewer GI positions offered than CVD and 1.7 applications per position (versus 1.5 for CVD). My feeling is that it would be good to hit 6-10 interviews if possible. In the past I think the average on the CVD boards has been ~10, but I haven't clicked around to confirm.

It is fair for you to contact PC's in order to try juggling your already-scheduled dates, but don't be surprised if programs don't have the wiggle room to work with you. They're honestly not trying to ruin your life if they can't move you. If their interview slots have already been filled they can't do anything. If they use an online self-scheduling platform like Interview Broker then you'll be able to attempt to handle it independently.

Hi PC,

I was wondering how quick a response time is expected on interview offers before they get offered to someone else? I will be intermittently unavailable during the season and ERAS does not have an out-of-office reply option. Is it expected within a few hours or is a next-day response acceptable? Thank you!

24 hour turnaround should suffice.

NOTE TO ALL: Should you receive an invite and you need more time, PLEASE at least reply within a day and let them know that you're working out your schedule in order to accommodate the interview and will be back in touch within X number of days. Sitting on an invitation without response is bad form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh never realized they wanted a response so soon

24 hour turnaround should suffice.

NOTE TO ALL: Should you receive an invite and you need more time, PLEASE at least reply within a day and let them know that you're working out your schedule in order to accommodate the interview and will be back in touch within X number of days. Sitting on an invitation without response is bad form.

Hi PC

Thanks for this thread it's really helpful. Does this apply to emails that specifically say that reply by so and so date (usually a week later)?

Also just out of curiosity , how much attention is paid to the PS ?

Hi PC

Thanks for this thread it's really helpful. Does this apply to emails that specifically say that reply by so and so date (usually a week later)?

Also just out of curiosity , how much attention is paid to the PS ?

If they give you a specific deadline, then go with that.

It gets hairy when we extend the invitations (especially if it's a specific date or sets of dates) and then we have candidates not responding, asking to switch, and/or have others to invite, but have to wait to see what's open. Services like Interview Broker are helpful in these instances, but the flip side is that we can't offer a personalized panel of interviewers doing it that way. Some programs attempt to pull together interviewers based on candidates' stated sub-sub interests if at all possible.

In general, candidates' personal statements are more closely considered after the apps clear the filters. Of course we look at things like whether candidates can express themselves well and don't have typos, but it's also an intro to your personalities, interests, and ambitions. Will it make or break whether an invitation will be extended? Rarely. How it can kill the possibility of an invitation is if it's clear that a candidate doesn't have a strong grasp of how to write in English.

Hi PC, quick question about the PS. Could personalizing my PS to the program I'm interested in the most help me get the PC or PD attention and perhaps an invite?

Hi PC, quick question about the PS. Could personalizing my PS to the program I'm interested in the most help me get the PC or PD attention and perhaps an invite?

It's appreciated, but don't make yourself crazy by trying to do it for every program. Limit it to your top 1-3 if you want to do it. Probably not worth it at this point if you've already submitted.

If they give you a specific deadline, then go with that.

It gets hairy when we extend the invitations (especially if it's a specific date or sets of dates) and then we have candidates not responding, asking to switch, and/or have others to invite, but have to wait to see what's open. Services like Interview Broker are helpful in these instances, but the flip side is that we can't offer a personalized panel of interviewers doing it that way. Some programs attempt to pull together interviewers based on candidates' stated sub-sub interests if at all possible.

In general, candidates' personal statements are more closely considered after the apps clear the filters. Of course we look at things like whether candidates can express themselves well and don't have typos, but it's also an intro to your personalities, interests, and ambitions. Will it make or break whether an invitation will be extended? Rarely. How it can kill the possibility of an invitation is if it's clear that a candidate doesn't have a strong grasp of how to write in English.

In general. What are the filters most programs use? Also is Frieda pretty accurate in that most usmle step minimums range from 200-220? Does this mean that these are used to filter or are all apps reviewed?

Dear PC and Gutonc - thanks for all your help. Quick question - for programs you are most interested in, any thoughts on what part of interview season to schedule the interview (ie. early, middle, late)? Does it matter from the program's perspective? Thanks.

Dear PC and Gutonc - thanks for all your help. Quick question - for programs you are most interested in, any thoughts on what part of interview season to schedule the interview (ie. early, middle, late)? Does it matter from the program's perspective? Thanks.

Doesn't really matter. Choose a date that works best with your schedule. Send a thank you email to at least the PD after you interview. Send an I love you email to your top 2-3 during ranking. Don't lie to anyone.

Thanks PC. Also, one of my submitted publications just got accepted - should i write a short update email to coordinators or just save it to discuss in interview? Not sure if a manuscript going from submitted to accepted is going to make the difference b/w getting offered an interview. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks PC. Also, one of my submitted publications just got accepted - should i write a short update email to coordinators or just save it to discuss in interview? Not sure if a manuscript going from submitted to accepted is going to make the difference b/w getting offered an interview. Thanks for your advice.

It's fair to send a brief email to PC's in order to update the status. Then bring a copy of your updated CV to each of your interview dates, as well. And congrats on the pub!

In general. What are the filters most programs use? Also is Frieda pretty accurate in that most usmle step minimums range from 200-220? Does this mean that these are used to filter or are all apps reviewed?

USMLE filters seem to be generally used. Other than those, it's hard to say since we can build specialized filters, too. Visa filters may be common. Number of years out of IM training. We can filter based on residency program, medical school, city, Program Director...let your imagination run wild. Filters can be used to either shake apps out or gather them together based on a common facet. Beyond filters we can deactivate applications after evaluating so as to eliminate them from further filtering/review. Deactivation is reversible and, even when deactivated, we can still access them if need be.

Since submission review is pretty program-specific, I can't tell you with any certainty whether or not most programs will give filtered applications any individualized attention. Whether they be filtered out based on USMLE or otherwise.

I think FREIDA is relatively on point given that the programs review and update their info at least annually.

Do the NRMP fellowship match results report unfilled positions that were available before or after soap/scramble? If after, on average, how many positions are available for scramble and why would programs leave slots unfilled? I noticed one program only filled 4/8 slots which I imagine would really strain their call schedule. Thank you.

Do the NRMP fellowship match results report unfilled positions that were available before or after soap/scramble? If after, on average, how many positions are available for scramble and why would programs leave slots unfilled? I noticed one program only filled 4/8 slots which I imagine would really strain their call schedule. Thank you.

The full report is available here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2013.pdf. In it you'll find dedicated SOAP info.

Positions may remain open if there weren't enough interested candidates to fill or if the candidates available aren't deemed good fits for the program. Sometimes spots may be filled post-SOAP. Yes, unfilled spots can create challenges.

Thank you PC.
Unfortunately, the report only displays SOAP info with regards to residency, not fellowship. The fellowship match report on NRMP does display number of unfilled slots for each specialty/program, but does not specify whether they are pre or post scramble.

One thing I've learned from the army is to always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. :)

Thank you PC.
Unfortunately, the report only displays SOAP info with regards to residency, not fellowship. The fellowship match report on NRMP does display number of unfilled slots for each specialty/program, but does not specify whether they are pre or post scramble.

One thing I've learned from the army is to always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. :)

Ah, the danger of trying to read/collect info via mobile devices -- at least in my case -- it's like searching via key hole. Sorry about that. I'll read through my stuff in the office tomorrow and let you know whether I find anything pertinent to your question.

Okay...the report I'd intended to link to is here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomessms2011.pdf. It was released last May. Solely focused on IM specialty fellowships.

Although the report makes no reference to SOAP or "scramble", it seems to me a safe assumption that their matched stats include those who matched via that route.

Okay...the report I'd intended to link to is here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomessms2011.pdf. It was released last May. Solely focused on IM specialty fellowships.

Although the report makes no reference to SOAP or "scramble", it seems to me a safe assumption that their matched stats include those who matched via that route.

Thank you PC. The report is very informative. There are a couple of interesting observations worth noting.

There is wide variability in USMLE scores among matched applicants; high step scores do not guarantee acceptance and applicants with low scores need not worry about being immediately filtered out from every program. 65 applicants matched in 2011 with a step I score ranging btw 181-200.

Second, majority of matched applicants in 2011 had no research projects/experience (429) with little to no abstracts/presentations/pubs. Despite the focus on research/abstracts/pubs, many have still managed to match without any which is a surprising revelation.

caveat: these generalizations appear more representative of the U.S allopathic graduate applicant pool.

Thank you PC. The report is very informative. There are a couple of interesting observations worth noting.

There is wide variability in USMLE scores among matched applicants; high step scores do not guarantee acceptance and applicants with low scores need not worry about being immediately filtered out from every program. 65 applicants matched in 2011 with a step I score ranging btw 181-200.

Second, majority of matched applicants in 2011 had no research projects/experience (429) with little to no abstracts/presentations/pubs. Despite the focus on research/abstracts/pubs, many have still managed to match without any which is a surprising revelation.

caveat: these generalizations appear more representative of the U.S allopathic graduate applicant pool.

All true. There's a broad scope of programs and my perspective is skewed toward highly competitive academic institutions.

honestly, dude...we'll all be fine. The guys that have to sweat our the FML's. Unfair? Maybe...but true.

Dear PC, if somebody interested in specific program but didn't receive any invitation so far, do you think it will help to send a short email requesting status?

Thanks.

So to summarize from gutonc, and ProgCoordinator

It is not appropriate to contact programs now about status of application. Mid to end of september is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan12 View Post
It's fair to send a brief email to PC's in order to update the status. Then bring a copy of your updated CV to each of your interview dates, as well. And congrats on the pub!

However based on Prog Coordinators post as above, it is appropriate to send updates about the CV, if an article has been accepted/published, abstract received at national conference etc.

Is that the general feeling?

So to summarize from gutonc, and ProgCoordinator

It is not appropriate to contact programs now about status of application. Mid to end of september is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan12 View Post

However based on Prog Coordinators post as above, it is appropriate to send updates about the CV, if an article has been accepted/published, abstract received at national conference etc.

Is that the general feeling?

Yup!

Hi PC and Gutonc,

I know similar questions have been asked before but this is a specific situation. I did an away rotation last year a program I am really interested in (it's pretty competitive too!). I don't see so far at least that it has sent out any interviews. I do have a letter from an influential person (probably is on fellowship committee) from that program - although of course I don't know how that letter is. Is there any point emailing the PD with intention of showing interest?

:confused:

Thanks.

Why do programs send out those "we are reviewing you application and we'll be sending out invitations shortly" emails? They are such a tease! Plus afterwards if they do not send you an invite then what was the point?

Just curious?...

Why do programs send out those "we are reviewing you application and we'll be sending out invitations shortly" emails? They are such a tease! Plus afterwards if they do not send you an invite then what was the point?

Just curious?...

Pre-emptive strike. That way they can just ignore all the "when are you gonna review my app and offer me an interview?" emails. Saves the PC a s***ton of time.

Just curious?...

To make sure you understand that they are working, you're not being ignored, please leave them be until they dig out.

Last edited:
Hi PC and Gutonc,

I know similar questions have been asked before but this is a specific situation. I did an away rotation last year a program I am really interested in (it's pretty competitive too!). I don't see so far at least that it has sent out any interviews. I do have a letter from an influential person (probably is on fellowship committee) from that program - although of course I don't know how that letter is. Is there any point emailing the PD with intention of showing interest?

:confused:

Thanks.

Probably not needed. You applied to them, you did a rotation with them, you received an LOR from their faculty...they know that you're interested.

Just curious?...

To prepare the rejection letter.... :eek:

(as above to make sure you stop contacting them).

To prepare the rejection letter.... :eek:

(as above to make sure you stop contacting them).

I guess so you don't even bother to try contacting. Preemptive strike sounds legit.

Btw hilarious! Enjoyed that!

Hey PC,
If there is a program that I would rank very highly and has granted me an interview, would it be advantageous to schedule the interview earlier to convey higher interest or schedule it later so that I may be more memorable prior to ranking? Or does it even matter? I've heard varied responses. Thank you.

Hey PC,
If there is a program that I would rank very highly and has granted me an interview, would it be advantageous to schedule the interview earlier to convey higher interest or schedule it later so that I may be more memorable prior to ranking? Or does it even matter? I've heard varied responses. Thank you.

Does not matter. Schedule based on what works best with your schedule.

Hi PC,

What does it mean when I have submitted application with certain program and people start receiving rejection letters from that program but no invitation as of now for no body, but I didn't receive neither rejection or invitation as of now.

Hi PC,

What does it mean when I have submitted application with certain program and people start receiving rejection letters from that program but no invitation as of now for no body, but I didn't receive neither rejection or invitation as of now.

It means you haven't been invited or rejected.