PC(windows) or mac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windows based laptop or ibook?

• PC

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • ibook

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • NEITHER! LINUX IS THE BOOOOOOMB!

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

The North Face

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time that I purchase a new laptop (my current laptop has a shot motherboard and a ruined battery- AH!). This time, I am considering an ibook instead of another windows based laptop, considering that you can get them for under $1000.

To mac users: What are the positive and negative aspects of mac computers

To individuals who have used both: Which do you favor?

Members don't see this ad.

I use a powerbook G4 with a 12" screen. The positive aspects are that I have never had any viruses, spyware, or major computer crashes and the customer service is a lot better than Dell's. Also the mac operating system is intuitive/easy making it easy to prefer over the complicated windows system. The negative aspects are that not all games run on a mac (the new ones should run them all... I am guessing) and they tend to attract debate about how my computer sucks, which can be annoying. I suggest borrowing an Apple from your university for a week. If you get over the initial phases of confusion, you will love your mac, otherwise you may want to stick with a windows system. Remember, the new macs have both operating systems (you must purchase Windows seperately or steal it off the internet ;) ).

Members don't see this ad :)
don't get an ibook. that's no longer a current product. i have a powerbook that i purchased before the switch to the new intel macs, and i'm sure it'll be just fine, but if i had the option to purchase a computer now, i wouldn't buy something with a chip that's no longer being used. either get a new intel mac (which can run mac os and windows) or just get a pc notebook. getting an ibook now is going to cause you more headaches in the future than you'll want to bother with.

Mac, 100%. It looks cool. Based on BSD Unix too, so very stable. Also interopable with just about everything, and super-easy to use. Plus, if you want more control over your pc, you can ditch the GUI interfaces and pull up a couple of console windows and fire away (OS X is much more customizable than windows if you're willing to get your hands dirty...).

People who hate on "macintrashes," imo, just have a bad taste in their mouth from using old Mac OS's (or are just snobs...).

jbrice1639 said:
don't get an ibook. that's no longer a current product. i have a powerbook that i purchased before the switch to the new intel macs, and i'm sure it'll be just fine, but if i had the option to purchase a computer now, i wouldn't buy something with a chip that's no longer being used. either get a new intel mac (which can run mac os and windows) or just get a pc notebook. getting an ibook now is going to cause you more headaches in the future than you'll want to bother with.

Quoted for truth.

Plus, the iBook is not just one gen out of date, it's two (it and the powerbook had the G4 chip). You'd be buying a computer that hasn't had any substantial updates in over 2 years (and even 2 years ago that G4 chip was close to obsolete).

If you want a really old, slow computer that's going to cause you tons of problems over the next four years, I'll sell you my old dell laptop for cheap.