PCAT BIOL: Where does Peristalsis begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanie92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding PERISTALSIS

Where does it actually begin?

- Dr. Collins Bio multiple choice has this question and the answer is the small intestine

- But then i looked it up on the Internet, it says the esophagus and i think esophagus actually makes more sense bc when you swallow, peristalsis would be responsible for pushing the food downward...

I was so confused !

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding PERISTALSIS

Where does it actually begin?

- Dr. Collins Bio multiple choice has this question and the answer is the small intestine

- But then i looked it up on the Internet, it says the esophagus and i think esophagus actually makes more sense bc when you swallow, peristalsis would be responsible for pushing the food downward...

I was so confused !
Should be the esophagus. The bolus gets pushed down by peristalsis.

It's the esophagus, final answer. But it also happens in the small intestine as well. :)

Thank you very much,

I wonder why Dr. Collins chose the small intestine, there was an esophagus option too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much,

I wonder why Dr. Collins chose the small intestine, there was an esophagus option too.
Esophagus should be the answer. BUT if it's NOT in the answer choice, then choose the one that is the closest to esophagus :D

Well in his chemisty test 1 I found 2 mistakes.

One of the questions he gave the compound CH3-CH3 and asked us to name it. The correct answer is ethane, but that wasn't even an answer choice and he put the correct answer as propane.

Also, there was a question where he gave us a solubility chart and asked what the precipitant was. He only gave us 1 rxn that formed a precipitant when he should have given us to 2, to see what the common compounds were between the 2 rxns, and thus being able to know what formed the precipitant.

Well in his chemisty test 1 I found 2 mistakes.

One of the questions he gave the compound CH3-CH3 and asked us to name it. The correct answer is ethane, but that wasn't even an answer choice and he put the correct answer as propane.

Also, there was a question where he gave us a solubility chart and asked what the precipitant was. He only gave us 1 rxn that formed a precipitant when he should have given us to 2, to see what the common compounds were between the 2 rxns, and thus being able to know what formed the precipitant.

Uh, yeah I took that test yesterday and there are no mistakes, read the chart carefully, its not rocket science.