PCAT book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landakerjenna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Can anyone recommend me a good book to refer for PCAT?? :)

Members don't see this ad.

u gotta use kaplan........there the best in the business....i wish i had, i heard a lot of good things about them.....i used some cheap pcat book last year

Sorry to disagree with you Gwalla. Kaplan leaves out Ochem, microbio, physio, anatomy, calculus. It covers complex calculations for chem that pcat doesn't cover since it's a 48 questions in 30 min section.

I recommend getting Barrons, Kaplan, Cliffnotes. IF you have time get cliffs reviews for microbio, anatomy, physics

Use Kaplan as a guide. SKIP any calcs that look too involved. MAKE SURE you know general concepts because PCAT tests those. For example, what's an Acid. Can you name CH3CH3CH3COOH

Bio is more of the same stuff.

I can't give details because then i would have violated pcat test taker terms.

Members don't see this ad :)
So Barrons is better than Kaplan???

The two books are not comparable. Barrons has only practice tests and explanations. You can not really study off it. Use it for practice and timing (although it has old pcat format with more questions).. Kaplan is a a book that was ripped from mcat study book. It has some topics explained really in depth that nobody taking the pcat needs to know about and unfortunately, and leaves off important topics that people taking pcat do need to know about.

After u take the pcat, u realize that all the books suck. Haha. I am sorry man.

Go to the library and check out all the books and decide.

Here is what I did.
1.Skim thru Kaplan and looks at major concepts. Skip thru detailed crap. Go back to text book to read up on concepts forgotten.

2. Pull out Ochem book. Review nomeclature and RXNS, functional groups.

3. Skim thru anatomy/physio/microbio notes/cliffs review books and skim thru Kaplan's bio review.

4. I didn't study for english and i reviewed some major calc formulas

5. Buy pcat practice tests, they are slightly easier but for bio and math it's very good. Chem and english, it's easier.

6. DO as many practice test from Barrons and Cliffnotes.... Then read up concepts u missed.

There is just so much info, you got to just do the best u can.

Good luck.

I felt Barron's was way easier on the chem and calc sections than the actual test - much less calculus and organic chem than what you need to learn. Don't rely on any one source - use old textbooks, old notes, AP review books from the library.... Then you will actually learn the information, instead of just getting used to how a certain writer makes the test (for example, Barron's book only covered one or two aspects of calculus in all its practice problems IIRC, so I kind of forgot to study aspects it didn't cover). I used Cliffs Notes/Bio/Chem for Dummies/AP Chemistry Review/my old bio notes and did very well.

I haven't taken the PCAT yet but Barron's seems to be a little easier than I imagine the actual PCAT to be..in all aspects--especially verbal, calc and chemistry but just as everyone else says...don't rely on one source

Sorry to bump a SUPER old thread.... But how do you guys recommend studying for this test? (Also, what site do I use to sign up?)

Hmm, it seems the general consensus here would be to 1.) Dr. Collins study guide and 2.) Pearson online practice tests. The common theme for both of those sources come down to being able to take the practice tests. Dr. Collin's study packet comes with study guides for every section of the test to go along with a TON of practice tests. I think the more you do those practice tests, the better you'll be able to figure out what you need to study, your timing, and the overall feel of the PCAT.

I just received Dr. Collin's study guide today and I'm already blazing through em. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Be forewarned though, the study guide is not cheap. It cost me about $375 for the whole packet.

Anyways, good luck!

I only used Kaplan and it covered everything I needed. Took PCAT once and scored 89th percentile composite doing this.
Also, i used the 2007 version of the book because it was dirt cheap... it didn't matter. Just buy a cheap Kaplan book and study it cover to cover - worked for me.

Hmm, it seems the general consensus here would be to 1.) Dr. Collins study guide and 2.) Pearson online practice tests. The common theme for both of those sources come down to being able to take the practice tests. Dr. Collin's study packet comes with study guides for every section of the test to go along with a TON of practice tests. I think the more you do those practice tests, the better you'll be able to figure out what you need to study, your timing, and the overall feel of the PCAT.

I just received Dr. Collin's study guide today and I'm already blazing through em. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Be forewarned though, the study guide is not cheap. It cost me about $375 for the whole packet.

Anyways, good luck!

See my previous post and don't waste your money like this person.;)

Kaplan gives you a good idea of what to expect but I felt the OChem and Quantitative Ability areas were lacking. I would also suggest purchasing the practice tests from Pearson's. I guess some of what you see will be extremely similar since Pearsons are the ones that administor the PCAT.