PCAT chem problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Ksp for AgI is 8.5 x10^-17. What is the solubility of AgI in water?

Now, I know that it's pretty much x^2=8.5x10^-17 and you solve for x, but w/o a calculator how are we suppose to figure out the square root of the Ksp? Are the pcat calculations similar to this or will they be easier?

I guess my question is (which I'm sure has been asked many times), is the PCAT similar to the Kaplan study tests or the Barron's/Petersons? It just seems like the Kaplan ?'s are so time consuming!

Members don't see this ad.

PharmEm said:
I guess my question is (which I'm sure has been asked many times), is the PCAT similar to the Kaplan study tests or the Barron's/Petersons?

Barron's/Peterson's. The PCAT questions are much simpler than Kaplan's. I used Kaplan's as my main study source, but felt their questions were not applicable to the PCAT itself. They will overprepare you though, which is never a bad thing.

LOL, I was just doing those solubility probs today. Since we're on the subject of chem, does the PCAT have time consuming questions like balancing oxidation/reduction reactions?

Can I just take this moment to say... I have not studied more than a total of 30 min. since October 13th when I found out I was accepted to Mercer. Now, I've come this far with the PCAT and I'd like to see how well I can do cause I mean, what the heck. So I'm a little too relaxed..... Good luck everyone and I hope any info I provide is helpful!
1. The PCAT is not as hard as I expected it would be. The problem with Kaplan is that the practice tests require way way way more time than you are allowed by "time restrictions". There were no problems that required complicated calculations. The point is that you understand how to set up the most basic equations (and there weren't many of those to begin with). If PCAT is trying to test you on know the combined gas law (PV=nRT) they would give you R, give you whatever you need to plug in and expect you to know the equation. I found that in those cases, most of the numbers you plug in are like "1" or something very easy to work with so that you end up dividing 10 by 2 and getting 5. Do you follow? I hope I'm being clear as mud! haha My point is, calculations are for quantitative. Do not worry about the chem. math!
2. I remember 1 oxidation reduction problem because first of all, I couldn't get it done quickly and I probably got it wrong :) I only remember a couple of chem. problems that threw me off. That was one of them. For me, redox is always time consuming. But that is only 1 problem and I finished the whole section. I'm sure most people will find a couple of chem. questions that test their weaknesses. Just try your best, come back to it, and guess if you have to.
3. The Ksp thing... I don't remember seeing any difficult calculation but I feel like there is a way to do square roots of an exponent (like a short cut or rule). But I don't know what it is. I don't think it'll be anything like that. I remember using molarity and pv/t=pv/t. The majority of calculations were grams to moles. If you've been studying with Kaplan you'll be pleasantly surprised :)