pcat chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicaholland1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyyy Guys...anyone have any advice for how to study for the chem section? It's the only section I need to improve, but after taking the june pcat, I dont think I did. Any helpful strategies?

For example, when it shows reactions and asks for the products, do you guys go through the reaction or do you just use knowledge like "an alkene and water forms an alcohol"?

I dont know why I'm so bad at chem. I just read the questions and start freaking out! lol

Also, do you think some of that stuff was form organic II? I havent taken that yet, but some of the questions were unfamiliar, so i was wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

bump...anyone know a good study aid that has chem similar to whats on the pcat? the ones i used (barron's, cliffs, kaplan) were pretty different ....anyone?....please?..help lol

bump...anyone know a good study aid that has chem similar to whats on the pcat? the ones i used (barron's, cliffs, kaplan) were pretty different ....anyone?....please?..help lol

For chemistry I used the MCAT Examkracker books exclusively for both gen chem and o-chem. They do a very good job of outlining critical concepts in both areas, and you can focus on the equations you need to know from their gen-chem overview. They're also very interesting reads (fully illustrated and colorful, so it keeps you focused)

When doing a problem like you mentioned above, it's much faster if you already know that the dehydration reaction of alcohol results in an alkene. Therefore, reversing the reaction (adding water to an alkene + energy) will yield an alcohol.