PCAT- Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindy510

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone taken a class that prepares for PCAT? I just wonder if it's worth it ( it costs like $1000 for 14 sessions; each session is 3 hrs long. 2 sessions/ week for 1 1/2 month). Does it really help you improve your score? if yes, by how many points or percentile?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if you need someone to push you to study then the course could be of help. But if you can self study, I did fairly well from studying from the Barrons and Petterson practice books.

Hope this helps.

waste of money. Studying all on your own is fine. Get out old textbooks. Everything on pcats are right for the stuff you have learned in old classes. Particularly for verbal, reading comprehension and essay portions of the exam, spending $1000 on classes isnt gonna make u any better or worse. It just takes practice and you either know it or you dont.

Personally I don't see the point of spending that much money, especially when you will be spending around that much just to apply and paying supplementals and other fees like flying to interviews, etc.

Although some people may see the advantage of taking courses like these, it's really up to the individual and how much you studied. If you can get a practice exam from Kaplan, I think you will be fine. Truthfully I took my first PCAT without studying at all and did horribly, like less than 50 >.>

However, when I retook it and at least studied for a week before hand, my scores improved drastically.

I think if you set a realistic study time/schedule like 3 months ahead of time of the assigned examination date, you will do fine. The thing is, is that you need to relook at stuff before taking the PCAT (although there are people who don't study and do quite well) . . . for instance, all the physiological system questions threw me off because I studied meiosis/mitosis/etc, general bio stuff instead of anatomy/physiology . . . likewise, I completely forgot about orgo chem, like drawing ketones, etc. . . so it would be good to take a look at subjects that you have taken awhile ago.

Likewise, I got a practice exam from Kaplan (didn't buy the book, copied a mock exam from a friend instead) and found that it was similar.

Hope this helps and good luck!