PCAT: How do u study for the chem and math?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fob12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would u study for the chemistry and the math math section on the PCAT? Are there a particular book that you recommend? I am currently using the Kaplan book.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, the chem questions in the Kaplan book are a lot harder than the ones on the PCAT. There was lots of o-chem Qs on the Kaplan book but from my experience the PCAT doesn't have many o-chem questions. I would say concentrate your studying efforts on gen chem. As for the math, practice doing simple math problems with speed being the primary concern. The PCAT math section is loaded with easy questions but it's very long. Most test takers don't finish the section.

I studied the Barrons PCAT study guide, studied the Chem and Bio section for 6 days and did well on both parts. It cost about $15.

Barron's would be a good investment..it was about 10 bucks when I bought it. Just do all the chem/math problems and you should do VERY WELL. I would recommend doing 2 books from different companies to get a variety.

The chem and math problems are much easier than you think...they ask them pretty much the same way as the practice questions (which are probably drawn from old exams anyway). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the Kaplan book and supplemented my studying with my chemistry text book. I simply did as many problems as possible. It is a good idea to learn concepts. I did this for a total of two weeks and kicked butt on the exam. The math section is all about speed. Do easy problems and skip the hard ones. There seemed to be tons of ratio problems. Just know the different organic chemistry groups (ex. ketones or ester).

did you guys the Kaplan book and Barrons book online? Barns and Nobels sells it!!!