Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pcat Math

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by MsSunshine, May 15, 2007.

1. MsSunshine

Pre-Pharmacy
    Although all the practice books dedicate a huge portion to basic algebra, there is a lot of calculus in the PCAT. I took calculus 5 years ago, any tips on how to study for the calculus questions on the PCAT. Thank You!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. binghamkid

Moderator Emeritus

The calculus on the exam is limited to basic derivatives and integrals as well as limits. You should be fine by just brushing up on your rules and a few practice problems for each.

4. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I agree that most of the calculus material on the PCAT is mostly first semester stuff with some from second semester. But Calc II stuff on the PCAT is usually an extension from stuff from Calc I so self-studying will work.

5. Louisiana Girl

Pre-Medical
    Is it true that calculators are not allowed on the math section. I can understand chemistry but why not math?

6. binghamkid

Moderator Emeritus

1) The math is really really easy. Like really really easy. Like if you gave a 4th grader a TI-86, there's no reason they couldn't get a 80% on the section. If you have a calculator, you can do every problem no sweat.

2) The point of the math section isn't to test your ability to punch a calculator. It's to test your ability to look at a problem and find an answer using your critical thinking skills as well as your ability to boil a problem down to its essence.

3) Calculators can store lots of data (including problems and questions). harcourt won't permit anyone to take question data out of the exam. (This is a pretty lame reason compared to the other two i'm sure, but it's true =P)

7. MsSunshine

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you guys for the advice!!! :)

8. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    1) Though I got a 96 and math is easy for me, I would not go as far to say that a 4th grader with a TI-86 could get an 80:). Many 4th graders would have difficulty grasping algebra as a concept let alone knowing how to solve problems with TI's help. There's no way a normal 4th grader would understand trig and calculus enough to make that calculator useful. A 4th grader would bomb the PCAT math section. Also, you have to remember that around 79% of college students with above-average college GPAs, not pre-pharm GPAs mind you, don't get a 80% on the math section.;)

2) Back in my day, and this may still apply, calculators were allowed for the ACT and SAT. Those math problems were easier too. Nevertheless, I agree that its better for students not to use the calculator as a crutch and skew their scores.

3) Harcourt could allow for those basic calculators that can only add and subtract while being unable to store data, so I don't think the storage issue is the only reason. Perhaps Harcourt is trying to prevent turning even the most basic of calculators into a transmitter where people can transmit answers during the test. Perhaps Harcourt also wants to level the playing field on every level to test our math skills on paper.

9. binghamkid

Moderator Emeritus

=P thanks Omnione for clarifying my exaggeration. But if you consider a 4th grader has great guessing skills =D they just have to bubble in answers. You never know....*halo*