PCAT Organic Chemistry isnt that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i started studying for PCAT today

and in the book i got, it says organic chemistry is only 40% of chemistry section

so i guess it is a lot since there are many other subjects

just wondering when you study for the organic chemistry, do i have to memorize many reactions? or what kind of questions are going to on PCAT?

i took DAT couple years ago, and i did good even though organic chemistry was not my thing
i memorize all the reaction from destroyer book (and of course understood why it is happening) but it took some time and work

do i have to pretty much do the same thing for organic chemistry?

Also, how long do you guys study before you take the exam?
i just graduated in the spring and i am planning to take the exam on january but i hope that will be sufficient time to study!

Members don't see this ad.

and in the book i got, it says organic chemistry is only 40% of chemistry section

just wondering when you study for the organic chemistry, do i have to memorize many reactions? or what kind of questions are going to on PCAT?

i took DAT couple years ago, and i did good even though organic chemistry was not my thing
i memorize all the reaction from destroyer book (and of course understood why it is happening) but it took some time and work

i just graduated in the spring and i am planning to take the exam on january but i hope that will be sufficient time to study!

It is very basic organic chemistry material. Some of the Gen Chem questions were harder in my opinion. If I may ask, why are taking the PCAT?

4 Days. OChem was a joke compared to the abundance in the Kaplan book (I didnt even read through it, just winged it and got 91 Chem).

4 Days. OChem was a joke compared to the abundance in the Kaplan book (I didnt even read through it, just winged it and got 91 Chem).

very very basic ochem, i did well in ochem I and II at my university so I barely had to study that and got a 99 in chem which really helped out my overall composite. Everybody is different on study time, but it should mainly be a refresher of the things you previously knew so I would say a month at the most.

very very basic ochem, i did well in ochem I and II at my university so I barely had to study that and got a 99 in chem which really helped out my overall composite. Everybody is different on study time, but it should mainly be a refresher of the things you previously knew so I would say a month at the most.

Strongly agree with this statement. Don't waste unnecessary time as most of this should be a refresher. I highly doubt they'll test you on the 2nd year Ochem reactions. Looking at Kaplan example questions (most recent edition is only one with OCHEM), it seems you can tell from the question what's going on when they do ask. (As long as you understand sterics, nucleophiles, electrophilicity.. etc)