PCAT Practice Results: Do you think I can do well by January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mg66Up.jpg

My composite practice exam is like 70-85... but my Biology was terrible. I took this at 3 am on 3 hrs of sleep (because why not? My kids were asleep so I had 4 hrs to spare...).
I have not studied AT ALL and I've taken only one basic biology course... I have last years Dr Collins. I am registered for January. Does this say anything about how I may do? I took this as a base mark to see where I stand before studying. My courses end at the beginning of December and I plan on studying relentlessly for that month. My Bio was like horrific lol 20-30% I'm sure... What do you think?

Can I study bio, chemistry and calculus and do decently on the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I studied for 2 months and got a 95 composite. However, I studied 8 hours a day lol. Dr. Collins wont be enough to get you prepared for the bio though. Actually, Dr. Collins isn't a good study guide.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I studied for 2 months and got a 95 composite. However, I studied 8 hours a day lol. Dr. Collins wont be enough to get you prepared for the bio though. Actually, Dr. Collins isn't a good study guide.
Really? Most told me Dr Collins was the best. So what else? Kaplan for bio? Thanks for the input! Had you tried the practice ones at all? Wondering if they're at all comparable

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Most told me Dr Collins was the best. So what else? Kaplan for bio? Thanks for the input! Had you tried the practice ones at all? Wondering if they're at all comparable
Dr Collins is excellent for practice.
I used CliffsAP AP Biology 3rd Edition. This book literally has everything for bio for the PCAT. I studied the following chapters and got a 95 PR score for the bio section: chemistry, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, cell division, heredity, molecular genetics, evolution, animal form and function, and ecology.
I tried the free practice PCAT on the nextsteptutor website and the score I got on that was basically exactly what I got on the actual PCAT.

Edit: I used the pcatexam website to study microbiology. But this is very short and I am unsure if this is a good source for microbiology.

Last edited:
Dr Collins is excellent for practice.
I used CliffsAP AP Biology 3rd Edition. This book literally has everything for bio for the PCAT. I studied the following chapters and got a 95 PR score for the bio section: chemistry, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, cell division, heredity, molecular genetics, evolution, animal form and function, and ecology.
I tried the free practice PCAT on the nextsteptutor website and the score I got on that was basically exactly what I got on the actual PCAT.

Edit: I used the pcatexam website to study microbiology. But this is very short and I am unsure if this is a good source for microbiology.
Awesome. Thank you for all the help!

Do you think KAPLAN helps as well?

this certainly isn't the worst score i've seen at all, it looks like you know a lot of your stuff...I think you'll be golden.

Same q.
this certainly isn't the worst score i've seen at all, it looks like you know a lot of your stuff...I think you'll be golden.
Thank you so much! Just was making sure I'm not assuming too much. I have a few weeks to study and I usually can learn and retain a lot of information pretty quickly...once memorized the info from 300 pages in two days but it was a shorter test. So I think I'll be OK but wanted to be sure! Especially biology. Definitely got some room for improvement there. Chem could be pushed up more too. Good to know I may not fail terribly. Thanks again!!

I haven't used Kaplan to study but from what I hear on these forums it seems to work well. If you have Dr. Collins and you are averaging 80%-90% on the bio practice exams, you should be good to go. Thats what I was scoring and i got a 95 PR score on the bio.

Do the pcat practice exam on the nextsteptutor website. I did 3 of them and kept getting composite scores of around 95-98 and it is what I got on the actual PCAT. So if you still feeling nervous, just do those practice exams to feel more secure about your studies.

Mg66Up.jpg

My composite practice exam is like 70-85... but my Biology was terrible. I took this at 3 am on 3 hrs of sleep (because why not? My kids were asleep so I had 4 hrs to spare...).
I have not studied AT ALL and I've taken only one basic biology course... I have last years Dr Collins. I am registered for January. Does this say anything about how I may do? I took this as a base mark to see where I stand before studying. My courses end at the beginning of December and I plan on studying relentlessly for that month. My Bio was like horrific lol 20-30% I'm sure... What do you think?

Can I study bio, chemistry and calculus and do decently on the PCAT?

Think of the PCAT as a percentage of people you out-compete over a 5 year span. Your floating around 80% meaning you out-performed 80% of individuals out of the whole PCAT. For each subject the same calculation is done. Pull up your bio and you’ll have no problem.

Even though your bio is very low, if you score what your practicing NOW you’ll be fine with many schools. I know your aiming for Creighton distance program so pull up your bio and be proud of what you accomplish

Kaplan will have more information than you need for the PCAT. It's a very brief summary of all the topics you would need to know, how ever unlikely the topic will come up. Since you've only taken one basic biology course, you may find it overwhelming. PCAT Bio will cover topics from Anatomy/Physiology and Microbiology; it may be difficult learning this for the first time on your own. If possible, purchase old editions of college level Physio, Microbio and/or Molecular Cell Bio text to get a feel for the material. I'd also recommend Exam Cracker's MCAT Bio.

You have more than sufficient time. I was in a similar situation for chemistry with my first diagnostic and was able to bring up in 2 month to 98.

Thank you everyone! I am going to try all of the tips you helpful people mentioned and then some. I just read that Creighton is not requiring the PCAT anymore, but I already paid for it so I am still going to try my best and am still going to take the exam in January!