phyun

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everybody. I just had a couple of questions regarding the latest changes regarding the PCAT. I have Kaplan's study material from 2012 and was wondering if it would be sufficient.

BIOCHEM:
I noticed that they added a Biochemistry section for OCHEM. Would someone mind expanding on what exactly is covered in this subcategory? On the PCAT site, it lists very general things such as DNA/Lipids/Proteins.

My Kaplan material does not specifically have a Biochem section, but it does have a very short OCHEM chapter regarding amino acids, peptides, and proteins (no lipids).

OCHEM:
I also noticed that the study blueprint does not mention some of the more complicated subjects such as Acylation or Alkylation. Yet the study material for Kaplan goes into depth about such subjects. Did the PCAT board take something out? Or are they just being very general with their descrptions?

I'd apprecaite it if someone could bring me to speed. Also, if anybody has the 2013 version of the Kaplan's material, would you mind letting me know if they added a specific BIOCHEM sections or if I'm okay with the 2012 material.

NejixRockS

7+ Year Member
May 7, 2011
South Florida
Status
Pharmacy Student
I have the latest Dr. Collins. I know its different from Kaplan, but maybe this might help you :) . From what I can tell for chemistry, MOST of the questions are gonna come from Gen. Chemistry.
For Biochemistry you need to know about amino acids (know the name and structures of the basic animo acids like glycine, alaine...) You also need to know about carbohydrates(aldose, ketose...) Lipids (simple and complex lipids) Nucleic acids (adenine , guanine, cytosine...)
For Orgo chem (I think u mean FC acylation and alkylation?) FC alkylation/acylation was not covered in Dr. Collins, not much is covered from Orgo 2. It was mostly Orgo 1. From orgo 2 u need to know about aromaticity and the reactions with aldehyde/ketone/ esters/ amide... (any derivatives from carboxylic acid)
I didn't go into much detail because it would take too much time...

Mar 12, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Hi everybody. I just had a couple of questions regarding the latest changes regarding the PCAT. I have Kaplan's study material from 2012 and was wondering if it would be sufficient.

BIOCHEM:
I noticed that they added a Biochemistry section for OCHEM. Would someone mind expanding on what exactly is covered in this subcategory? On the PCAT site, it lists very general things such as DNA/Lipids/Proteins.

My Kaplan material does not specifically have a Biochem section, but it does have a very short OCHEM chapter regarding amino acids, peptides, and proteins (no lipids).

OCHEM:
I also noticed that the study blueprint does not mention some of the more complicated subjects such as Acylation or Alkylation. Yet the study material for Kaplan goes into depth about such subjects. Did the PCAT board take something out? Or are they just being very general with their descrptions?

I'd apprecaite it if someone could bring me to speed. Also, if anybody has the 2013 version of the Kaplan's material, would you mind letting me know if they added a specific BIOCHEM sections or if I'm okay with the 2012 material.
Biochemistry in PCAT includes questions on the levels of protein structure, nature of amino acids in proteins; nucleotides, nucleosides and different types of lipids.
For ochem you need to study all types of probable questions and this does include questions on alkylation and acylation.