PCAT round 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacygirllll123

Reaction score
I got an interview at my top choice school and they liked my gpa, my extra curricular activities, personal statement, etc but they told me that if they accept me after the interview, it will be under the condition that I get at least a 30 on my PCAT. My last PCAT score was horrible, I got an 11th percentile and did not study efficiently. I am taking the April PCAT and have started reviewing from the Kaplan book and have got a tutor. If I dedicate my time to this, would a 30 be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

To simply answer: Yes its possible.

Many use Kaplan coupled with Dr. Collins study material in preparations for the PCAT.

Just to be clear, scoring a minimal "30" on the PCAT is considered low-tier and in times past thrown out by many programs. Your past score suggests (according to how the PCAT does its scoring) that out of roughly 65,000 applicants over the past 5 years, you only scored better than 10% of them. Thus, 11th percentile is not something admissions would want to see. To be considered competitive in times past is scoring a 70th percentile.

I would question your capability of doing well in school if you struggle to score a 30th percentile (which is still considered low-tier). Nonetheless, invest in Kaplan + Dr. Collins. Kaplan will teach the basic foundation, Dr Collins will utilize actual questions in times past that you will see in a similar format for your April PCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview at my top choice school and they liked my gpa, my extra curricular activities, personal statement, etc but they told me that if they accept me after the interview, it will be under the condition that I get at least a 30 on my PCAT. My last PCAT score was horrible, I got an 11th percentile and did not study efficiently. I am taking the April PCAT and have started reviewing from the Kaplan book and have got a tutor. If I dedicate my time to this, would a 30 be possible?
If your GPA is really good, what made you decide Pharmacy is a good option? Have you worked in a pharmacy?
Not hating, just curious. Have you been informed that the market is saturated by previous posts and dozens of links and pharmacist/ you tubers.

Not to bust your ego, please stop thinking like a pre-med with this notion of top pharmacy school. A top pharmacy school will not save you if you get unemployed or do not get matched into a clinical pharmacy residency.

I know you are interested in something in clinical pharmacy.
Is your top program pitching you provider status and prescribing power? Those roles are filled by PAs and NPs and not clinical pharmacists. Plus, pharmacy residents are finding it hard to get jobs too as many are employed by the same hospital they did a residency.
Instead of clinical pharmacy residency, try PA school as PA profession is in demand and gets paid way more than a pharmacist. Also, PAs can do residencies that involve more direct patient care than clinical pharmacy, and there are a lot more residency options for a PA than clinical pharmacy.

Not trolling, but saving you from heart ache and frustration and depression from this pharmacy job market. I am a new grad and I have experience in the pharmacy job search.
There are too many negatives associated with pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be real with you:

You got an 11th percentile on the PCAT? You should not be allowed entry to any PharmD program without >70.

Change your career path and goals.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be real with you:

You got an 11th percentile on the PCAT? You should not be allowed entry to any PharmD program without >70.

Change your career path and goals.

Plenty of schools will take her money anyway. Then when she's an unemployed pharmD, no one will care. The sad truth.

We all know how this story ends. OP or other pre-pharms will call us haters, toxic, liars, negative, fear mongering, etc. OP will still go to pharmacy school anyway "to help people", and cause it's her passion. She will graduate with $200,000 debt, won't find a job then we'll never hear from her again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, everyone above is speaking the truth and giving sound advice. 11th percentile PCAT is not just bad but really bad. I would definitely hold yourself to a higher standard, score >70 not just 30. You should always push yourself to do better and with that mindset, you will be a lot better now just not but in the future as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user