PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgiarose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! So I'm kind of new to this whole thing. I took the PCAT last week and I'm a little thrown off by my scores.
Bio -35
Chem -86
Quant -75
Reading - 65

It was my first time taking it and I don't have a huge science background (non traditional student). So obviously I'm going to retake it because I did so poorly in bio, but I wasn't really expecting to bomb that section. If I take it again and do better in bio will the 35 drastically hurt my chances of getting into pharmacy school?

What's the best way to prep for bio? I tend to do best with just a lot of practice tests. Is there a good practice test bank online somewhere?

Sorry about all the questions but any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! So I'm kind of new to this whole thing. I took the PCAT last week and I'm a little thrown off by my scores.
Bio -35
Chem -86
Quant -75
Reading - 65

It was my first time taking it and I don't have a huge science background (non traditional student). So obviously I'm going to retake it because I did so poorly in bio, but I wasn't really expecting to bomb that section. If I take it again and do better in bio will the 35 drastically hurt my chances of getting into pharmacy school?

What's the best way to prep for bio? I tend to do best with just a lot of practice tests. Is there a good practice test bank online somewhere?

For bio it is good to go in depth after studying Collins.

Professor Steven Fink has physiology lectures online and Professor Kevin Ahern has good (and a lot) Biochemistry lectures online.
AK lectures has a lot of Bio and Chem.
All on YouTube for free. Just also remember everything in science is connected, in Biochemistry even DNA replication is discussed from a more biochemical perspective but you will still learn and connect more dots. It's good to get many perspectives from science classes each with a specific focus.

For bio it is good to go in depth after studying Collins.

Professor Steven Fink has physiology lectures online and Professor Kevin Ahern has good (and a lot) Biochemistry lectures online.
AK lectures has a lot of Bio and Chem.
All on YouTube for free. Just also remember everything in science is connected, in Biochemistry even DNA replication is discussed from a more biochemical perspective but you will still learn and connect more dots. It's good to get many perspectives from science classes each with a specific focus.
Thank you kindly for your response. I'll give those a try!

I took the PCAT back in July and didn't have much time to study, I focused on just doing as many practice tests as possible and used Collins. It was my first time taking the PCAT and I got

Bio: 93
Chem: 99
Reading: 94
Math: 70
Composite: 96

However I should note I have an extensive background in science and have also taken the MCAT in the past which I'm sure helped my score. With that being said the best way to study is to take practice tests and put yourself in an exam like environment and time yourself on each section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Can someone help me interpret my scores. Are these good test scores or should I retake the exam in January?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.43.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.43.01 PM.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 126
Hey everyone! Can someone help me interpret my scores. Are these good test scores or should I retake the exam in January?
Generally the only score that matters to admissions is the percentile rank score (which seems to be cut off in the picture), but I believe that around 400 SS is 50 percentile. Based on that, I would probably consider retaking the exam in January. What did you use to study? I highly recommend Dr. Collins for chem and math and Kaplan for bio since they helped me get a high score. Reflecting on what you struggled with would also help you do better in January since you know what to expect next time.

Bio -35
Chem -86
Quant -75
Reading - 65

Hey what did you use to study for Chem and Quant?