PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmgrl00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.!

So I didn't really study for the PCAT and I took it anyway, I didn't do so hot. .. I'm not really sure how the scoring works and what is a good score?..
I scored in the 48-68 percentile score for each subject tested (highest in quantitive ability and lowest in verbal) Composite score was 57 percentile . My main objective is to stay in california where the schools don't require PCAT's but I wanted to apply to some out of state schools as well so that Is why I took it. With such scores, do I even stand a chance?

Also, When applying using Pharmcas, it requires me to send in my PCAT scores to all schools, but since California schools do not require it, will it jeopardize my chances of getting in if they see that I scored badly on that test. If so, should I consider not submitting my PCAT scores and requesting that my scores be Each Individually sent only to the schools that require the PCAT?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

personally i would take it again. sorry to be the one with the bad news but 48 to 68 percentile is not very competitve score. i dont know about pharmcas but you can ask the customer service rep and see if that's a possibility. most of the pharmacy school these days require pcats. also some schools who didn't require pcats before now require pcats in 2005 application year. you might want to call the school that does't require pcat and to make sure that that is the case for this year. study lil harder next time and shoot for at least 80% composite or higher. pharmacy school are getting harder and harder, to tell you the truth i have had people didn't get in with 90% composite. i wouldn't worry too much about taking again if you have great GPA to back it up.

I would definitely retake the PCAT. A few weeks, maybe even just a few days of refreshing your memory of those subjects will pay off. I've read on this board that California schools don't look at PCAT scores at all. So I don't *think* your PCAT scores will affect your chances of acceptance in CA.

kwakster928 said:
i wouldn't worry too much about taking again if you have great GPA to back it up.

If someone has a great GPA with a not-so-great PCAT score that can either mean their undergrad wasn't challenging or that they are one of those people who memorize facts for tests and then forget everything they learned. If I were on an adcom I would see that as being a red flag.

AmandaRxs said:
I would definitely retake the PCAT. A few weeks, maybe even just a few days of refreshing your memory of those subjects will pay off. I've read on this board that California schools don't look at PCAT scores at all. So I don't *think* your PCAT scores will affect your chances of acceptance in CA.

If someone has a great GPA with a not-so-great PCAT score that can either mean their undergrad wasn't challenging or that they are one of those people who memorize facts for tests and then forget everything they learned. If I were on an adcom I would see that as being a red flag.

what i meant was if you have great gpa then you are a good student and therefore you did well one those classes thus you won't have too much trouble getting better score. sorry i didn't make myself very clear.