PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legrita

New Mommy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take the PCAT already?
Who wants to share their scores?

Don't be bashful!

Members don't see this ad.

For real... I have no idea what a good score is.
I took the October PCAT and my composite score was like a 250 and a 99 %ile. I think that is good, but should I be able to get in where ever I want.

Later,
Dustin

Dustin... congrats on your score. That should make you extremely competitive in any school's eyes. The only problem is this.... A lot of schools that I know of (and this could be OLD information, so correct me if I'm wrong) only REQUEST that you take the PCAT, and don't take it into consideration for part of the admissions process.

I go to school at MUSC. When I applied, what seems like FOREVER ago now, the PCAT was requested (so that they could do research as to how our performance correllated (sp?) to the score later on.) If I'm correct, MUSC COP still doesn't REQUIRE or consider the PCAT as part of the entrace decision.

All that being said.... congrats. You should have no problems if everything else is up to par.

Matt

Originally posted by INevrLearn
Dustin... congrats on your score. That should make you extremely competitive in any school's eyes. The only problem is this.... A lot of schools that I know of (and this could be OLD information, so correct me if I'm wrong) only REQUEST that you take the PCAT, and don't take it into consideration for part of the admissions process.

I go to school at MUSC. When I applied, what seems like FOREVER ago now, the PCAT was requested (so that they could do research as to how our performance correllated (sp?) to the score later on.) If I'm correct, MUSC COP still doesn't REQUIRE or consider the PCAT as part of the entrace decision.

All that being said.... congrats. You should have no problems if everything else is up to par.

Matt

I believe it differs from school to school INevrLearn. Just taking Michigan for an example (where I live). There are 4 colleges in Michigan that provide the PharmD degree and I believe only 2 of them require you to take the PCATS. Ferris State University requires the PCAT and I believe University of Michigan requires the PCAT. But if I am not mistaken, Michigan State University and Wayne State University do not require you to take the PCAT's but you are able to submit the scores if you would like.

Most people I have talked to say that the PCAT was relatively easy because it is designed to be taken after obtaining your associates degree, and you can't fit many science courses in your first 2 years because you need to get all of your basic courses out of the way. So I think that is why a lot of schools don't require the PCAT because it isn't a relative model of how knowledgeable you are concerning the Pharmacy curriculum, whereas the MCAT is designed to test your knowledge of your 4 years of science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Dustin!!
That is really a great score! I did pretty poorly on my reading comp section: 62%ile. Will they look badly @ me because of that? (I can read, it's just that I was really sleepy that day.) Anyway, I have above 90%ile in all the other sections. Please respond.

Thanks
Rachel

I think it all depends on the school..... and your interviews...... and your GPA. One thing you have going for you right now, regardless, is this..... Pharmacist Shortage. Decreased Applicant Pool. Hmm.... whom does that favor......... the applicant. Good luck!

Matt

Hi Legrita.

I took the PCAT twice. Both times I scored in the 94-95%

Different schools weigh PCAT scores differently. If you're interested, all California pharmD prgms don't require PCAT, while most other states do.

In my personal opinion, PCAT scores are not weighed as heavily as GPA. I believe they are used more as an accessory in gauging applicants.

I agree that the PCAT is a tad easy. They are pretty basic science questions that you'd know answers to within your first 2 yrs. of college.

Much luck to you.
-nocsag56