-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
PCAT: When did you start studying?
Started by Rdy4PharmSchool
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Definately not too early. This kind of question really depends on your academic background, how well you retained information form courses, test taking abilities, etc. I began studying 4 months before the June PCAT, however I have been out of school for a year also🙄
I took the PCAT in January and spent my entire Christmas break studying. Since I was not working over the break, I spent many hours studying every day. I had already taken the classes that covered the material on the PCAT. My study time was a huge review over everything that I had already learned. If you can, just set aside some time every day to study.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well the answer to your question depends on 2 things:
1) How much preparation you require
2) How well you wish to do on the PCAT
If you want to place in the top 10th percentile you need to study for about 3 months, in my opinion.
I started studying early June for last year's August PCAT and I got a 99%.
1) How much preparation you require
2) How well you wish to do on the PCAT
If you want to place in the top 10th percentile you need to study for about 3 months, in my opinion.
I started studying early June for last year's August PCAT and I got a 99%.
It really depends on you as a test-taker. I only studied the gen chem about 3 weeks before last year's august test and got a 97
I started in late May for the August PCAT. But I've been taking it slow, about a chapter a day in the Kaplan book. I've been busy with taking 2 summer classes, so I haven't been as proactive in studying lately. I will pick it up full time once my classes are out, so I'll have about 2 weeks to study full time.
[moved to PCAT forum]
i started *seriously* studying in june when summer vacation started--i took it in august
i started *seriously* studying in june when summer vacation started--i took it in august
I'm in the same boat you are. Except I will start tomorrow.
Tonight, Batman:The Dark Knight will be my top priority. 😀
Tonight, Batman:The Dark Knight will be my top priority. 😀
I started last week with the Kaplan book. Im having a really hard time focusing too.
i did something similar the first time i took the pcat and i made a 67 so now im taking it again and i started studying in late may. and also ive found that even though i've taken a&p micro o chem I&II and bio chem i think personally it really depends on how well you have you fundamentals down in chem bio. maybe im wrong but its just a personal opinion
Anyone know how the math and organic will look for the August PCAT? I'm confident enought that the Kaplan book will help me in general biology and general chemistry, but I've heard that the calculus and organic is tougher than what the Kaplan lets on. Should I know the basics or should I go more into depth with those subjects?
Once my summer classes end in a week, I'll be studying full time, and I don't know whether or not I should buy extra Organic and Calculus study aids too (especially since I have NOT taken those classes yet)
Once my summer classes end in a week, I'll be studying full time, and I don't know whether or not I should buy extra Organic and Calculus study aids too (especially since I have NOT taken those classes yet)
Subjective for everybody depending on their knowledge, but generally I'd allot 4-6 weeks in advance for studying this. So OP, no, this is definitely not too early especially if it's for the August PCAT. You have like 3 weeks plus only!
If you have taken (summer) classes of calculus, orgo, biology, and/or anatomy and stuff like that, more power to you, because the stuff should still be fresh in your head and less studying would be required possibly.
If you have taken (summer) classes of calculus, orgo, biology, and/or anatomy and stuff like that, more power to you, because the stuff should still be fresh in your head and less studying would be required possibly.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 9K