PCATS! whats on the test??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning on applying for admissions to pharmacy schools next year for 2005 and I was wondering about the PCATs.
What specifically are on the test?
Cuase im right now doing my general science classes this year such as chem, bio and calculus among others this year but i figured that I need to have finished taking all those general science classes before I take the PCATS?
So I guess my question is, do I need to have finished taking my Gen Chem, Orgo Chem, Bio and Calculus classes before I take my PCATs?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Superflyjsc
So I guess my question is, do I need to have finished taking my Gen Chem, Orgo Chem, Bio and Calculus classes before I take my PCATs?

I would finish Chem I & II, Bio I & II, a college level math class (just for review if you need it, doesn't have to be calc.. there is no calc on the exam), and maybe orgo I. It wouldn't kill you to start physiology 1 or anatomy 1 if you're taking them. Keep in mind that there is quite a bit of reading on the exam too. Most people find the exam pretty easy. Use the search feature and you should find plenty of info here.

I think 2 semesters of both biology and chemistry will really help more than anything else. The math wasn't as difficult as a Calculus level... it was easier stuff, but you just had to be really quick. (no calculators)

I also found it helpful to get a vocabulary building book... you know, the kind that help you figure out words based on roots, prefixes, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Superflyjsc: I agree with kim31kim and jdpharmd? that those classes will prepare you for the PCAT.

Where are you from? I am currently attending the University of California, Irvine and there is a KAPLAN center near the school where they have sample/practice test for the PCAT. I dont know if they offer it at another KAPLAN location. I signed up for the program 2 years ago and the cost was about $700-800. I know thats a lot of money. I found it pretty helpful, especially for the math and g-chem part since i've taken those classes long time ago. Its just another option. However, i think you'll do fine by just taking science and chem classes at your school.

I will only have 2 semesters of chem, 1 semester of bio, 1 semester of anatomy and physiology, and about 1/2 semester of organic when I'm taking the PCAT. Will that be enough? Is there alot of questions about the 2nd semester of bio?

Originally posted by goheel
I will only have 2 semesters of chem, 1 semester of bio, 1 semester of anatomy and physiology, and about 1/2 semester of organic when I'm taking the PCAT. Will that be enough? Is there alot of questions about the 2nd semester of bio?

That should be enough to get you through. I'm not sure what is in Bio II. There are questions on A & P, cell bio, genetics, ecology, etc. The chemistry is 99% gen chem. I only had 1/2 semester of organic when I took it and I did fine.

Im in a similar situation, I would only have 2 semesters of gen chemistry and calculus and only half a semester of orgo chem 1, half a semester of physics, and half a semester of bio by the time i take my PCATs.
Would this be a problem? Cuase if i did decide to take the PCATs next year instead of this year, i would have a year delay by the time im done with my pre-requirements and before im ready to apply for admissions to pharmacy schools. And I really dont like the idea of a year lag.

For those Kaplan centers or any of those centers that are supposed to help you prep for exams - does anyone think they're helpful in getting a higher grade?

Originally posted by MALA
For those Kaplan centers or any of those centers that are supposed to help you prep for exams - does anyone think they're helpful in getting a higher grade?

Not in my opinion. I took a simlar class waaaay back in the day for my SATs and I actually got 10 points lower on the SAT than on the PSAT. First, they cost about a thousand bucks. Second, they take several weeks to complete, usualy starting at 7 or 8am on a Saturday. If you took it during the school year, I think it has the possibility to burn you out. The classes might be helpful for someone who "freezes" on standardized exams, but I think that most of us would benefit from a simple review guide from the bookstore and a couple of free afternoons. Most people have said that the "vocabulary builder" books were useful for some of the analogies.