PCO interview day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

car guy doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an interview at PCO this upcoming Monday (9/25), and I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed there this cycle can offer any advice. The email says it's a 4-5 hour long day with the interview, information sessions, and a tour. Can anyone outline a rough schedule of events / timeframe for the day?
I have also seen that in previous years threads, the actual interviews have been very conversational and "chill". I wonder if that is still the case for this cycle or if they have beefed up the intensity of their interviews.

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take for you to know that you had an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was definitely that long. We started the day with a group setting, followed by individual interviews, clinic tour, lunch and concluded with a campus tour.

Reactions: 1 users
The interview was definitely that long. We started the day with a group setting, followed by individual interviews, clinic tour, lunch and concluded with a campus tour.

Thats good to know. Approximately how long was the interview itself and how were the questions that they asked?

Good luck on your interview! I have one there on October 6th!

Thats good to know. Approximately how long was the interview itself and how were the questions that they asked?

To be honest, I had no sense of time with the one on one interviews. Mine was the second longest and all the others were waiting in the office for us to finish. Some took 20 minutes others took over an hour. I really connected with my interviewer so it later became a conversation after the initial few questions.

I interviewed for this years cycle (in march of this year) and it was very laid back and conversational. My interview probably lasted 25 mins and my interviewer made me feel really comfortable. It was definitely more conversational asking about me and my interest in optometry rather than interview style questions. The only interview type question I can remember off of the top of my head was "what are some current issues/challenges in the field of optometry?" - I answered that a degree in one state does not equal a degree in another state (because of different state laws for scope of practice) and the emergence of "online eye exams" which entirely neglect eye health. They also gave a brief ~45 min overview presentation before the 1 on 1 interviews just talking about the program which I used to help to answer questions during my interview such as "what do you like about pco?" So that was helpful.
I was extremely happy my first interview was at PCO because it was definitely the most laid back/comfortable. Everyone we met that day was really friendly and welcoming so don't be nervous. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users