PCO Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liveandyoulearn

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the LORs for PCO. On their website it says:

  • Three letters of evaluation are required and should be forwarded directly to OptomCAS. Any three of the following options will be accepted in order to fulfill the letter requirement:
    • a Pre-Professional Committee letter of evaluation (consult with your college/university pre-professional advisor regarding the policy for providing letters of recommendation for pre-professional applicants).
      • one committee letter will fulfill the entire letter requirement.
    • letter from a teaching faculty member who has taught you in a course (science teaching faculty letter is strongly recommended).
      • letter from a teaching assistant only accepted if co-signed by faculty member.
    • letter from your pre-professional or faculty advisor.
    • letter from practicing optometrist for whom you have shadowed or worked.
    • letter from a healthcare professional or work supervisor who is able to assess your qualifications for professional education and future career in optometry.
 
Last edited:
hmm you're right this is ambiguously written. It seems unlikely, for example, that three LOR's from faculty members would fulfill the requirement. Almost all schools require a letter from a practicing optometrist, so I think you should contact them to double check.
 
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the LORs for PCO. On their website it says:

  • Three letters of evaluation are required and should be forwarded directly to OptomCAS. Any three of the following options will be accepted in order to fulfill the letter requirement:
    • a Pre-Professional Committee letter of evaluation (consult with your college/university pre-professional advisor regarding the policy for providing letters of recommendation for pre-professional applicants).
      • one committee letter will fulfill the entire letter requirement.
    • letter from a teaching faculty member who has taught you in a course (science teaching faculty letter is strongly recommended).
      • letter from a teaching assistant only accepted if co-signed by faculty member.
    • letter from your pre-professional or faculty advisor.
    • letter from practicing optometrist for whom you have shadowed or worked.
    • letter from a healthcare professional or work supervisor who is able to assess your qualifications for professional education and future career in optometry.

Does this mean they can accept 2 LORs from science professors and 1 from a work supervisor?
follow the link: http://optomcas.org/information-about-schools-colleges/letters-of-recommendation

You need one from optometrist (Required), 1 from science professor (required) and the rest is upto you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked them because I had the same problem a while ago. Specifically I was asking if I could have 1 from an optometrist and two from teaching faculty members and they said yes. So I assume it doesn't have to be 3 separate points that you have to pick!
 
I asked them because I had the same problem a while ago. Specifically I was asking if I could have 1 from an optometrist and two from teaching faculty members and they said yes. So I assume it doesn't have to be 3 separate points that you have to pick!

Thank you so much! 🙂