PCOM and out of state accepted student stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've noticed that ALOT of out of state applicants apply to PCOM with about 8% interview rate. Obviously PCOM prefers instate applicants. Does this usually signify that the out of state applicants need to have higher stats than the avg accepted GPA and MCAT scores in order to have a chance of acceptance? I've seen in the US News book on med schools that PCOM avg GPA is 3.39 with 8 on each section of the MCAT.
Oh, a second question. Since DO schools calculate overall GPAs differently from the MD schools (not counting the old grades for retake courses), do these GPAs of accepted students for DO schools reflect such calculation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted around Christmas, OOS, 28Q with a 3.81. Hope this helps, and I don't know the answer to your second question.

I am also oos and was accepted in nov, my stats are 28 mcat and 3.6 gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Between 30-40% of PCOMers are out of staters, myseld included.

It appears that out of staters do have to have significantly higher stats to be admitted to PCOM compared to the avg stats for all admitted students.....at least from your stats it appears that way. Hmm....thanks.

It appears that out of staters do have to have significantly higher stats to be admitted to PCOM compared to the avg stats for all admitted students.....at least from your stats it appears that way. Hmm....thanks.

There's so much wrong with this assumption. Please try not to place so much confidence in two testimonials. It may turn out that there are many in-staters with stats like this.

One thing is certain: PCOM accepts a MUCH higher percentage of in-state applicants. It is LIKELY that bc out-of-state acceptances are more selective, higher stats would be required. I suggest using MDApplicants for further research. OR you can anonymously call PCOM Admissions and simply ask them.

I am also from out of state(NJ) and my stats are 3.2sci gpa 29mcat

I wish I had known about the strengh of PCOM's program beforehand. I only applied to 3 osteo schools. I have a strong feeling that whatever I do I will want to specailize since GP doesn't seem very attractive to me. With the high specailization rate, I can now only wonder.

I wish I had known about the strengh of PCOM's program beforehand. I only applied to 3 osteo schools. I have a strong feeling that whatever I do I will want to specailize since GP doesn't seem very attractive to me. With the high specailization rate, I can now only wonder.

You can specialize out of CCOM too. The fourth year that interviewed me just matched for a DO neuro surgery residency.

So, in general, for PCOM out of state applicants do need significantly higher stats for admission. Except for the applicant from NJ in the previous response, everyone who's posted here have higher than the avg stat for admitted applicants. About 8% out of staters are interviewed....and about 5% of all out of state applicants are accepted in comparison to about 48% in state acceptance rate is an obvious sign that out of state applicants need higher stats or have something that really impresses the ADCOM. I'll give it a try nevertheless. PCOM appears to be a good school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, in general, for PCOM out of state applicants do need significantly higher stats for admission. Except for the applicant from NJ in the previous response, everyone who's posted here have higher than the avg stat for admitted applicants. About 8% out of staters are interviewed....and about 5% of all out of state applicants are accepted in comparison to about 48% in state acceptance rate is an obvious sign that out of state applicants need higher stats or have something that really impresses the ADCOM. I'll give it a try nevertheless. PCOM appears to be a good school.
don't make any assumptions what what you see from the few posters here....its a pretty small sample size...

I'm in-state with a 32Q/3.25 and I'm currently on hold... there are out-of-staters with worse stats who got in. PCOM gets 4k+ applicants so they have the luxury of picking and choosing based upon other factors as well...

ALSO, I wouldn't worry about CCOM and specialization. CCOM has a tremendous reputation in the midwest for producing outstanding clinicians. They have a relatively high specialization rate as well if I'm not mistaken. Overally, I'd say that CCOM and PCOM have many similarities, not the least of which is that they both have oustanding clinical affiliations.

My preference for PCOM is one of 1) atmosphere (better gut feeling, got along well with the students) and 2) proximity to home. Other than that, it's a wash.

Does a secondary application request mean that you are a good prospect to them or does everyone receive secondaries. I just got one from PCOM.

Does a secondary application request mean that you are a good prospect to them or does everyone receive secondaries. I just got one from PCOM.

It means they think highly enough of you to take some extra money.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I believe most people receive them from PCOM. I could be wrong though.

I think I submited my secondary in late October and have not heard back from them. They wrote me a letter saying they recommend having a DO rec instead of the MD rec I had. I also submitted a grade update for my Fall 06 grades since I did well.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Waiting sucks. I'm waiting on 3 schools and have not heard from them in months since receiving their secondaries. My MCAT is not that great and my GPA is avg for MD matriculants.

I'm OOS and submitted my application back in July...just got the interview invite yesterday! pcom was my #1 choice before my other interviews and now i'm just debating the trip out there. oooh but i love the area (down the road from my undergrad) and could always use a day at the kop mall. always.

You were complete with your application in July and you just got an invitation for an interview? Wow....PCOM sure takes their time!
And yeah, I'm beginning to find out (as most of you already knew) that everyone gets secondary requests. I know someone who applied to 25 schools, submitted 25 secondaries and had no interviews. Anyway, I'll apply to PCOM. But, I won't hold my breath to hear back from them until about January/Feb/March of next year.

You were complete with your application in July and you just got an invitation for an interview? Wow....PCOM sure takes their time!
And yeah, I'm beginning to find out (as most of you already knew) that everyone gets secondary requests. I know someone who applied to 25 schools, submitted 25 secondaries and had no interviews. Anyway, I'll apply to PCOM. But, I won't hold my breath to hear back from them until about January/Feb/March of next year.

What kind of stats did this person have, if you dont mind me asking? That's horrible news! I feel bad for that guy.

She didn't tell me her stats. But, I know she didn't do well on the MCAT. As a matter of fact, she said she "BOMBED" the MCAT.
Anyway, going back to PCOM, it seems that the chances of acceptance is significantly diminished if one has their avg accepted stats if you are a out of stater. Anyway, good luck.