PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

what is avg. GPA and MCAT score at GA-PACOM?

My post bacc GPA: 3.82 -- after 76 hrs ( includes all pre-req. and more)
My Bachleros GPA : 2.45--- after evaluation of Indian Bachelors degree

Total GPA: 2.98 as per AACOMAS

MCAT : 30

One neurology shadowing and research volunteer.
 
what is avg. GPA and MCAT score at GA-PACOM?

My post bacc GPA: 3.82 -- after 76 hrs ( includes all pre-req. and more)
My Bachleros GPA : 2.45--- after evaluation of Indian Bachelors degree

Total GPA: 2.98 as per AACOMAS

MCAT : 30

One neurology shadowing and research volunteer.

Average is about a 3.4 with 25 MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I just got an interview at PCOM-GA, and I think I'm gonna take it. I just got accepted to VCOM earlier this week and was all set on going there and canceling all other interviews unless I got any from the PCOMs. I really loved the community atmosphere at VCOM as well as the enthusiastic and friendly staff and faculty.
For any of you who have interviewed at both PCOM-GA and VCOM, what are your thoughts? How do you think they compare?

Thanks!
 
If you look back at our other previous posts you can see all of my comments and details on my interview and my feelings regarding PCOM GA. But to sum it all up I absolutely loved it. The atmosphere, the people, the facilities, and the surrounding area are all amazing. I must have met atleast 15 first years and they were all awesome people that made me feel very comfortable and welcome. I will be attending in the fall, and I definitely think you should read back at what some of us said right after our interviews in previous posts on this thread. good luck!🙂🙂🙂
 
i recently got accepted to PCOM-GA. Not too sure if i will come here though. its high on my list, but i want to think it over a little.
 
Hey guys!

Recently got an invitation for an interview with GA-PCOM..not sure if I want to take it or not because already have two other school acceptances, one of which is VCOM, which is currently my top choice. Anyone that interviewed at both VCOM and PCOM-GA, what did you see as major differences between the two schools and any advantages/disadvantages of both? I want to make sure before I decline or accept the interview if I really understand PCOM-GA, because most of the info I found on PCOM-GA directs me back to PCOM, which is kind of annoying. I want to know how well the branch of PCOM is doing compared to the one in Philly. Also any info about the facilities, research, student body, faculty, etc. about PCOM-GA would be great!

Thanks!
 
The website sucks. I went into my interview with really no clue about the school, and I loved it. It is in a nice area, and they only take ~80 people, which I love. The facility is nice and clean, and everything is pretty new. I also like the proximity to Atlanta.

It might be worth your time. They really seem like they do a solid job there.
 
Hey guys!

Recently got an invitation for an interview with GA-PCOM..not sure if I want to take it or not because already have two other school acceptances, one of which is VCOM, which is currently my top choice. Anyone that interviewed at both VCOM and PCOM-GA, what did you see as major differences between the two schools and any advantages/disadvantages of both? I want to make sure before I decline or accept the interview if I really understand PCOM-GA, because most of the info I found on PCOM-GA directs me back to PCOM, which is kind of annoying. I want to know how well the branch of PCOM is doing compared to the one in Philly. Also any info about the facilities, research, student body, faculty, etc. about PCOM-GA would be great!

Thanks!

Alpie,
Congrats on the interview invite and also on your acceptances. Unfortunately, one area where GA-PCOM is really lacking is their web site...it's terrible. There is nothing useful on it, and it hasn't been updated since the beginning of last cycle. That being said, i think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not come check it out for yourself. GA-PCOM is really one of those sleeper schools that doesn't get talked about a lot, but once you visit, it is hard not to like. The school is very tightly knit with the PCOM campus and anytime there is a situation or problem, the PCOM president can fly down and handle the situation. I spoke to him at an orientation and he talked about how committed they are to supporting their only planned branch campus. I think that you should just go, see it for yourself, and I think you will be surprised with the school. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I can't attest to the differences between VCOM and GA-PCOM because even though I applied to both schools, GA-PCOM has been my first choice for a few years and I want to stay in-state and close to my wife's family. Once I was accepted I withdrew everywhere else. Good luck on your decision and don't base your opinion of what the school has to offer off of the web site. Take care!
 
I got an acceptance letter this past week. As I said earlier I grew up in the area and have been throughly impressed with my experiences at the school so far and look forward to likely attending in the fall.
 
for those of you recently accepted that don't have mdapps pages, would you mind posting your stats??


Thanks!🙄
 
...is what the letter said. Letter arrived on the 24th. What a great Christmas present! I have a good feeling I'm going to be attending next fall--just need to firmly decide b/w ga-pcom and azcom, but either way, I'm sending in the $250 deposit this week.

Hope yall had a great Christmas and good luck to those in the process! 👍
 
I also got accepted to GA-PCOM on the 24th, I interviewed on Dec. 3rd.. I was super excited b/c this school is my #1 choice! Atlanta is an awesome place to go to medical school.. 100% certain i'll be entering in the fall!
 
Welcome aboard, sheffer!

Do you remember Doron Sheffer? Israeli point guard for UCONN maybe 10 years ago. He was badass.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome aboard, sheffer!

Do you remember Doron Sheffer? Israeli point guard for UCONN maybe 10 years ago. He was badass.

Haha no I don't remember him, but i am a big sports fan! I see that you are from Austin, tx.. well i'm from houston tx, born and raised! Texas will be representing at GA-PCOM in the Fall!
 
DocSheffer and Nerdo, congrats! It's good to see a few more people that are accepted and committed to coming. I know if was good to hear back before Christmas, so that was an awesome present. I got a pretty cool present from my wife, a GA-PCOM hoodie. Anyways, glad to hear about your success.👍
 
DocSheffer and Nerdo, congrats! It's good to see a few more people that are accepted and committed to coming. I know if was good to hear back before Christmas, so that was an awesome present. I got a pretty cool present from my wife, a GA-PCOM hoodie. Anyways, glad to hear about your success.👍

Thanks a lot! It's been a long process and feels great to put it to an end.

Doc Sheffer: I'm a native Houstonian as well! I'm sure we'll see a lot more Texans next fall, woohooo!
 
I am thinking about sending MD LOR to PCOM.
But I 've shadowed Neurologist, will PCOM look at it negatively because MD is not primary care or IM?
 
Neurology is internal medicine, and I think they will take an MD letter. But I can't remember for sure.

My DO letter is from an ER doc- not primary care, according to most people.
 
I am thinking about sending MD LOR to PCOM.
But I 've shadowed Neurologist, will PCOM look at it negatively because MD is not primary care or IM?

I want to stay as anonymous as i can. But i TOO didnt have a DO letter of rec and my MD letter of rec was from a pretty competitive speciality and i was accepted to Ga PCOM. The interviewer did ask why i didnt have a DO letter of rec but i was honest... and i got accepted.
 
I want to stay as anonymous as i can. But i TOO didnt have a DO letter of rec and my MD letter of rec was from a pretty competitive speciality and i was accepted to Ga PCOM. The interviewer did ask why i didnt have a DO letter of rec but i was honest... and i got accepted.

Thank You,

They haven't received my mailed AACOMAS as per this week. So it won't be late for them to get MD LOR.
 
If you're looking for a roommate, join the facebook group that I started. People can network from there. There will likely be more people on that than are on here regularly when its all said and done.

I will be looking for a roommate, or maybe several. I am contemplating renting a house and getting like 4 people to live there, or renting a big apartment, and sharing with 1 or 2 people.

I also want a dog. There is a big pit bull rescue organization in the area, and I think that would be a good cause. They make great pets, as long as there are no other pets in the household.
 
I wouldn't worry too much about the DO LOR. I got in without a LOR from any physician.

For PCOM, unlike most DO schools, it is recommended, but not required.
 
I'm freaking out a little bit. I have heard *NOTHING* from PCOM- GA. I would have been complete sometime in November (I waited till I had my LOR, which apparently, was really stupid of me).

Is this normal?

I've gotten 3 other interviews so far but nothing from PCOM 🙁 I'm quite worried.
 
I'm freaking out a little bit. I have heard *NOTHING* from PCOM- GA. I would have been complete sometime in November (I waited till I had my LOR, which apparently, was really stupid of me).

Is this normal?

I've gotten 3 other interviews so far but nothing from PCOM 🙁 I'm quite worried.

Hey singin, have you contacted the office yet to make sure that they have everything and that you are "officially complete"? If not, or even so, the admissions office has always been friendly so I would suggest giving a call and let them know that you are hoping to hear something back. Unfortunately november is still kinda late and they have a lot of files to go through. Last year they had something like 3000 applications. So that you dont get overlooked, contact the office and drop your name, show interest, etc. If you get past that point, let us know if we can answer any other questions. Good luck!
 
I've had a horrible time so far trying to find out my application status there. I was complete in early fall and havent heard anything yet. They are very very very slow with everything.
 
Hey singin, have you contacted the office yet to make sure that they have everything and that you are "officially complete"? If not, or even so, the admissions office has always been friendly so I would suggest giving a call and let them know that you are hoping to hear something back. Unfortunately november is still kinda late and they have a lot of files to go through. Last year they had something like 3000 applications. So that you dont get overlooked, contact the office and drop your name, show interest, etc. If you get past that point, let us know if we can answer any other questions. Good luck!

Thanks 🙂 I shot them an e-mail this evening. I sat on my secondary for so long because I was waiting on a letter from the DO I was shadowing (A PCOM graduate of considerable merit), so I figured it'd be better to send it all in at once...which was, yes, I know, idiotic. :scared:

If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll give them a friendly call 🙂 I can't think of anything I'd actually be missing from them though.
 
Hii

I got done with my pre-req this fall.

AACOMAS application was done before that.

pcom wants me to mail newtranscript to AACOMAS.

sounds good?
 
WAHOO!

I got my interview request from them today and was *overjoyed*

It's for January 31st.


...I hope I'm not too late in the cycle. When I called them yesterday, they said I was "in the middle, but not late"...gah!

I now have 4 interviews in January and one in Feb.

...I'm so terrified I'm not going to get in anywhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WAHOO!

I got my interview request from them today and was *overjoyed*

It's for January 31st.


...I hope I'm not too late in the cycle. When I called them yesterday, they said I was "in the middle, but not late"...gah!

I now have 4 interviews in January and one in Feb.

...I'm so terrified I'm not going to get in anywhere.

you have four interviews, calm your little singin' self down
 
WAHOO!

I got my interview request from them today and was *overjoyed*

It's for January 31st.


...I hope I'm not too late in the cycle. When I called them yesterday, they said I was "in the middle, but not late"...gah!

I now have 4 interviews in January and one in Feb.

...I'm so terrified I'm not going to get in anywhere.

congrats on the interview 👍 I guess your email helped get some attention. Check out the interview feedback, its got some good stuff in there.
 
Hey everyone,
I am new to this thread. I got accepted and I will be joining you in August!!
I have some questions. I am trying to find a place to live ( with my family) while I am in school. I was wondering, is it better to buy a house or rent an apartement? With rotations, are we going to stay in the Atlanta area ( which means buying a house for four years would be better than renting one), or the rotations could be outside the Atlanta area??
I am really confused and any help will be appreciated!!
Congrats to all of you who got accepted, and good luck to the rest of you🙂.
 
Hey everyone,
I am new to this thread. I got accepted and I will be joining you in August!!
I have some questions. I am trying to find a place to live ( with my family) while I am in school. I was wondering, is it better to buy a house or rent an apartement? With rotations, are we going to stay in the Atlanta area ( which means buying a house for four years would be better than renting one), or the rotations could be outside the Atlanta area??
I am really confused and any help will be appreciated!!
Congrats to all of you who got accepted, and good luck to the rest of you🙂.

TabibaF, first of all, congrats on the acceptance and glad to see that you've chosen GA-PCOM as your medical school. If you dont mind me asking, how big is your family? Kids that are going to be in school? Depending on that stuff I might give a different answer. My wife and I are closing on a house tomorrow that is on Old Peachtree Road about 15 minutes away. We decided to buy because its a buyers market right now and we didnt want to spend money on an apartment that we wouldnt get a return on in a few years. The houses right by school start around 170k, and get a little cheaper the further away you get. Apartments will not be cheap. There are tons of townhouses around, but honestly we werent thrilled about sharing walls and have heard its hard to sell them because there are so many in the area. You may just want to get on a real estate site and start looking around to feel out the market. PM if I can help you with anything. My wife is from Gwinnett and we are going to be up there a lot in the next few months to get our house ready. Anyways, congrats again!
 
Anyone waitlisted at PCOM?

I am turning down my acceptance, so there will be another slot opening up soon.

I got in at Mercer, so I'll be going there unless MCG accepts me.

Good luck everyone, and have fun at PCOM and in Atlanta!
 
We decided to buy because its a buyers market right now

ive lived in gwinnett for over 15 years so ill give you my 2 cents.

i agree w/ jwalker, its a buyers market. you will find a great deal on a house. however, selling a house will be very difficult at this moment if you want anything close to a fair deal.

so if u plan to live in Gwinnett and stay for an extended length, then buying a house is a great investment.

I went to elem/middle/high school in gwinnett and i can tell you that the education in gwinnett is great. If you live near PCOM, you can send your kids to a new high school that opened up fairly recently (peachtree ridge high school) or collins hill high school (which opened in '95 or so? its a good school as well). A new high school is opening in the near future (1-2 years). So basically there are many new schools and options available in gwinnett.

you can PM me if you have more questions
 
Hi,
Anyone knows how PCOM handles the dress requirement for the OMM course for those who require special accommodations due to religious beliefs?
Thanks in advance.
 
Hi,
Anyone knows how PCOM handles the dress requirement for the OMM course for those who require special accommodations due to religious beliefs?
Thanks in advance.

Don't know, but I have seen threads about this topic before in the past. You may want to do a search and read what other schools do. The best way to find out would be to call the PCOM office and find out how they accomodate the OMM dress code based on religious beliefs. Go to the source.
 
Hi,
Anyone knows how PCOM handles the dress requirement for the OMM course for those who require special accommodations due to religious beliefs?
Thanks in advance.

Elle,
While we are always respectful of people's opinions and beliefs here at GA-PCOM, it is impossible to learn OMM without access to bodies. You will face many challenges as a medical student, and as an Oseopathic student modesty is one of the first things to overcome (start spending a lot of time at the gym now). My suggestion is for you to pursue another form of medicine if you cannot do what it takes to allow yourself and your classmates (especially your future lab partner) to properly learn OMM. Even as an allopathic student you will eventually be called upon to play patient and be subject to an exam. That being said, if your religion is more important to you then I certainly respect that and wish you the best.

OMS II
GA-PCOM
 
Thanks for replying Jwalker9 and ronniejames!!
The thing is I don't know exactly what happens during OMM!! I know every student will have a partner, but when being a patient, is it for the whole class, or just for your partner!??🙁
 
Thanks for replying Jwalker9 and ronniejames!!
The thing is I don't know exactly what happens during OMM!! I know every student will have a partner, but when being a patient, is it for the whole class, or just for your partner!??🙁

A little bit of both. You and your partner will learn most of the techniques in class by practicing on each other, but you will be called on at least once to be the Doctor's "victim" as he presents the technique to the class. Be aware that you and your lab partner as well as your various testing partners (male and female) will be palpating the sacrum, inferior lateral angles, pubic symphysis, ribs, etc. You will never be naked, just in a sports bra and shorts. The same applies for Primary Care Skills labs during which you will practice physical exams on one another (excluding OB/GYN and male GU exams which you will do on standardized patients). Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for all you GA-PCOM boys and girls:

I know GA-PCOM just started up a few years ago, and for those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! Once you graduate, nobody cares if you are an MD or a DO. Right? Well, I would be interested to know whether you think a state like Georgia, which has no history of D.O.s except those who come from OOS, would be less friendly toward D.O.s than other states, like FL or out west? I mean the physicians, not the patients (who won't know any different, probably). I didn't even apply to D.O., and I am just now realizing that there is actually a difference. Several of my friends, however, do not have the stats for MD and I have suggested GA-PCOM instead of PA school. Anyway, the practicing doctors that I have met in GA seem to look down on DOs, but physicians that I have met from FL (many of whom work in close proximity with DOs) seem less biased. Any thoughts?
 
I have a question for all you GA-PCOM boys and girls:

I know GA-PCOM just started up a few years ago, and for those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! Once you graduate, nobody cares if you are an MD or a DO. Right? Well, I would be interested to know whether you think a state like Georgia, which has no history of D.O.s except those who come from OOS, would be less friendly toward D.O.s than other states, like FL or out west? I mean the physicians, not the patients (who won't know any different, probably). I didn't even apply to D.O., and I am just now realizing that there is actually a difference. Several of my friends, however, do not have the stats for MD and I have suggested GA-PCOM instead of PA school. Anyway, the practicing doctors that I have met in GA seem to look down on DOs, but physicians that I have met from FL (many of whom work in close proximity with DOs) seem less biased. Any thoughts?
It doesn't sound like your sample size is very big. Obviously, there are going to be people out there who are biased, but there will be plenty who aren't. One of the things GA-PCOM wants to do is increase the presence of DO's in Georgia. But once you're in school, it is simply going to be your job to impress the right people. If you don't perform well, you will obviously be at a disadvantage.

I plan on owning the boards and working hard in rotations. I don't think I'll have many problems getting what I want if I can do those two things.
 
I have a question for all you GA-PCOM boys and girls:

I know GA-PCOM just started up a few years ago, and for those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! Once you graduate, nobody cares if you are an MD or a DO. Right? Well, I would be interested to know whether you think a state like Georgia, which has no history of D.O.s except those who come from OOS, would be less friendly toward D.O.s than other states, like FL or out west? I mean the physicians, not the patients (who won't know any different, probably). I didn't even apply to D.O., and I am just now realizing that there is actually a difference. Several of my friends, however, do not have the stats for MD and I have suggested GA-PCOM instead of PA school. Anyway, the practicing doctors that I have met in GA seem to look down on DOs, but physicians that I have met from FL (many of whom work in close proximity with DOs) seem less biased. Any thoughts?

Bodonid, good question. Being from Augusta, where MCG is a huge presence, I was curious as to how DO's would be perceived by their MD colleagues in the workplace. During my time shadowing and volunteering in hospitals I have met several DO's and have never once heard or seen anything from another physician or a patient that would indicate a lack of trust in the DO degree. When I was looking up a DO to shadow in Augusta, there were an abundance of DO's in the area. I also checked out the MCG residency page and found a significant sprinkling of DO's in good residency programs from family practice to surgery. In fact, the chief family practice resident contact is a DO, and she uses OMM in her practice. I spent this past summer shadowing a DO in Augusta at his family practice (his partner is an MD). The DO that I shadowed was significantly more popularly requested than his MD counterpart. Anyways, to answer your questions, I havent witnessed the bias outside of the pre-med world. There are already enough good DO's around Georgia to be able to give the profession a sound backing of support. Hopefully GA-PCOM's first class graduating next year will go on to further impress the healthcare community for the rest of us coming behind them.
 
Bodonid, good question. Being from Augusta, where MCG is a huge presence, I was curious as to how DO's would be perceived by their MD colleagues in the workplace. During my time shadowing and volunteering in hospitals I have met several DO's and have never once heard or seen anything from another physician or a patient that would indicate a lack of trust in the DO degree. When I was looking up a DO to shadow in Augusta, there were an abundance of DO's in the area. I also checked out the MCG residency page and found a significant sprinkling of DO's in good residency programs from family practice to surgery. In fact, the chief family practice resident contact is a DO, and she uses OMM in her practice. I spent this past summer shadowing a DO in Augusta at his family practice (his partner is an MD). The DO that I shadowed was significantly more popularly requested than his MD counterpart. Anyways, to answer your questions, I havent witnessed the bias outside of the pre-med world. There are already enough good DO's around Georgia to be able to give the profession a sound backing of support. Hopefully GA-PCOM's first class graduating next year will go on to further impress the healthcare community for the rest of us coming behind them.

I think there have not been that many DO schools in the south, say compared to the midwest, so there is an unfamiliarity with DOs in some respects. I think that will change as there is a greater presence in the south over the next decade. And there will always be institutions like Emory that are known to be good old boy's club. That will be there regardless of where you go, DO or MD even..