PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

This will be my first interview and I am aprehensive to say the least. Just wanted to see if you guys and gals had any experiences you would like to share. Also, if anyone has interviewed or currently attends PCOM your insight would be most helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at PCOM-Ga this week.

It was so easy...

There is absolutely NO reason to be nervous or have any sort of anxiety about it.

I was the last person to go in my group, and I just walked in that room and just had a conversation with my two interviewers.

It was nothing.

They are very easy to talk to, very understanding about the application process, and really down to earth.

I think I might have met one of the most intelligent people I've ever spoke with that day (Dr. Matayoshi), and he was totally cool...

I interviewed at PCOM-Ga this week.

It was so easy...

There is absolutely NO reason to be nervous or have any sort of anxiety about it.

I was the last person to go in my group, and I just walked in that room and just had a conversation with my two interviewers.

It was nothing.

They are very easy to talk to, very understanding about the application process, and really down to earth.

I think I might have met one of the most intelligent people I've ever spoke with that day (Dr. Matayoshi), and he was totally cool...

What are the curriculum and clinical rotations like? I haven't really been able to find anything.

What are the curriculum and clinical rotations like? I haven't really been able to find anything.

There are over 90 hospitals to do rotations, and the curriculum seems to be like a mixed system. Seems like they said there were lectures, small groups, all sorts of stuff...

Pretty impressive little school IMO, and the very first fellowship in OMM teaches there...

There are over 90 hospitals to do rotations, and the curriculum seems to be like a mixed system. Seems like they said there were lectures, small groups, all sorts of stuff...

Pretty impressive little school IMO, and the very first fellowship in OMM teaches there...

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if all the rotations would be in the Atlanta area so that's definitely good to know.

Atlanta would be an awesome place to do rotations.

Just a tip. The email invite says that they have a breakfast at 8am. But be sure to eat ahead of time because it's more like a muffin.

Correction, there are over 120 hospitals...

I'm applying here, the town it is in is not exactly in Atlanta but just outside it has been ranked one of the ten best places to live and I've only heard good things about it

question about application

I only designated 1 school (PCOM - GA CAMPUS). I submitted AACOMAS a while back but just recently my transcripts have been processed and GPA calculations were complete.

Again, i only applied to 1 school. so whats the next step? just wait for PCOM's email? or do they mail the secondary?

my mailing status says "processed" but what's up with the mailing date next to my school? i thought everything was sent electronically.

thanks in advance

question about application

I only designated 1 school (PCOM - GA CAMPUS). I submitted AACOMAS a while back but just recently my transcripts have been processed and GPA calculations were complete.

Again, i only applied to 1 school. so whats the next step? just wait for PCOM's email? or do they mail the secondary?

my mailing status says "processed" but what's up with the mailing date next to my school? i thought everything was sent electronically.

thanks in advance

Yes, the next step is for PCOM to send you their secondary application, which comes via snail mail from the main campus in Phili. I'm not sure of the delay between AMCAS processing apps and sending them. If you want something to do while you're waiting for the mailman, here are the essay questions. Then you can fire off their supplemental once u get it.

1. Attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Georgia Campus -PCOM.

2. What health care related experiences have you had?

3. What have you done since your last application to become a more competitive applicant?

I really liked the GA campus and the surrounding area. Seems like a nice place to be and way better than Philadelphia. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, i appreciate it!

btw, i always thought the philly campus would be better. bigger facilities, more resources, etc. i applied to this school over philly's campus b/c i live really close to PCOM-GA campus.

is PCOM -GA all lecture based teaching as well? on their website it states that they offer problem based cases, but am not sure if that is PBL.....

current third year here..... Please feel free to PM me or post here about any questions you guys have. We have had a great experience on rotations so far

BMW-

Wow! My application just completed yesterday and I got an email this afternoon inviting me for an interview next Monday. Any pointers? This is my first-choice school so I am very excited. Thanks:D

wow thats really fast. I've been complete there since two weeks ago and still nothing .... dammit. Are you in the Post Bacc program there or do you just live in GA? I hope they're not hosing me.GRRRRRR:smuggrin:

Does anyone know about secondary applications from PCOM-GA? Does everyone receive a secondary and how long does it take to receive it?

you can go to the website or search this forum to find out the essay questions. I believe for GA is asks why PCOM-GA? and Why Do in one essay and in the second essay what extracurriculars are you involved in? the secondary is one page and fairly easy. They usually send it snail mail with a CD. Just get started on it now so you can send it the day you get it.

how vital is it to have a DO LOR for PCOM-GA? thanks.

"never leave home without one"

I think it is a requirement for sure. And even if it's not then you still want to get one if you can.

I didn't have a DO recommendation letter and I got an interview several weeks ago.

Hiii! I just got my interview offer last week for PCOM GA, if anyone has any information about what they will be asking so I can be ready, I would be truly grateful! Pointers would be great!!! I am super excited yet do not know what to expect, this will be my first interview and i'm coming from Michigan. I am new at posting on SDN as well.
:):):confused::):)

Hiii! I just got my interview offer last week for PCOM GA, if anyone has any information about what they will be asking so I can be ready, I would be truly grateful! Pointers would be great!!! I am super excited yet do not know what to expect, this will be my first interview and i'm coming from Michigan. I am new at posting on SDN as well.
:):):confused::):)

go to med-school interviews under studentdoc. really helpful

I had an interview there a few weeks ago. There is a lot of waiting around so definitely bring a book, magazine, or some sodoku puzzles. Here are the questions I remember:

1. What did you lilke about your university?

2. What was your least favorite course? Why?

3. Why DO?

4. They asked about my job as a pharmacy technician.

5. What other schools have you applied to?
- I mentioned I had applied to MD schools in GA. Not a big deal to them so
don't worry.

Pretty much general questions. I really liked the school and the area. Nicer than Phili. And their breakfast is very light so don't come hungry. Good luck!!

I had my interview this week and it was very relaxed and conversational.
Just be ready to talk to your interviewers and convey to them who you are beyond the numbers and that is really all they are interested in. I hope they have an adcom meeting soon so we hear something back.

I just got an interview at this place. I applied because Atlanta rules, and the PCOM name... i.e., I don't think PCOM would put out anything but a top-notch product. But the actual reality of the school seems like a complete mystery. Their website tells you almost nothing, and I know it is a new school, but I just wish I could find out a little more about the place.

well, being from texas, i doubt its a feasible, but there is a open house there tomorrow. I plan on going to show my face and shake some hands...i just had my interview on monday and i want them to really know that i am interested. You never know, it could help. Have you found the new ga-pcom tour site? its sort of hidden. http://www.pcom.edu/vtour/ga_welcome.html
If you have any specific questions though, feel free to ask.

Thanks. I'll check that site out. I won't be able to make it to atlanta by tomorrow for the open house though.

PSU thanks for typing your interview questions out, I really appreciate it.. Quick question though.. Did the girls wear suits?:D

PSU thanks for typing your interview questions out, I really appreciate it.. Quick question though.. Did the girls wear suits?:D

Anything for a future pretty doctor. A couple girls wore fancy suits, the other two had on slacks with nice blazers. That seemed to be just fine. Everything is informal and there was a small interview group. Just a tip, don't feel you need to get there at 8 sharp. I had a flat tire and came later at about 10:45, and the other applicants said they had just been waiting around. So I missed nothing. Interviews started at like 11:00. I'd get some sleep, eat a big breakfast, and stroll in around 10. The school is still high on my list. Good luck.

Okay, so I just dropped $500 on a plane ticket to ATL. You'd think that going to ATL would be cheap, because the airport is huge, and every flight in the world that goes to the east coast stops there or at O'Hare. But no, it is freaking $500 round-trip.

My mom has like 18,000 frequent flyer miles that she offered me, but you need 25,000 for a ticket, so no go on that idea.

I'm going to go sit in a dark room and spend the rest of the evening crying. Then I'm going to eat half a package of ramen every day for my food until my next paycheck.

what day is your interview TEXAS? Mine is on wednesday.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes, and what you think of the school. I'm next Thursday.

Hotel advice, anyone?

I want something cheap and fairly close to the campus. That is all I care about.

does anyone know how long it takes PCOM-GA to notify you of your status once you are complete there? I've been waiting for 4 weeks and havent heard anything.

I think my interview invite came about a month after I was complete. Don't remember for sure, but it was something like that.

Hampton Inn was really close, and they have a shuttle, my driver knew exactly where to take me and she was really cool. My interview went well although I dont really have one to compare it to. I met so many awesome people and I absolutely LOVED the school. I would be the happiest girl in the world to get an acceptance here. I met a ton of first years they were all amazing, nice, friendly, and super helpful. I even got to go into the anatomy lab which was the coolest thing EVER:hardy:, so very excited. anyways interview questions..... I had two doctors interview me,

-were you surprised by your mcat score
-what area of med are you interested in
-why georgia (i'm from Michigan)
-tell us a little about yourself
-what else do you want us to know about you?
-do you have any questions..

my interviewers told me that I was in the right place in the right time and that there was an adcom meeting in a few hours after my interview, then I was told by Buffy (hilarious, friendly, organizer/financial aid informer) that the files for the interview were already set... so I was a little sad.

But honestly, it was an awesome experience, and I would be so happy to attend next fall.:love:

Oh p.s. there were only two of us getting interviewed!

does anyone know how long it takes PCOM-GA to notify you of your status once you are complete there? I've been waiting for 4 weeks and havent heard anything.

Have you been checking the spam folder of your application email account? I know that they send emails about interviews and I've heard that they often get snagged in the spam mail folder and dont get read until its too late. I would think that you would have heard something by now, but call Theodora in the admissions office and find out whats going on. good luck

honestly, from my 2 friends that go to pcom, one in philly and one in GA, the GA one sounds like a winner in the future. a sort of azcom to ccom situation...

honestly, from my 2 friends that go to pcom, one in philly and one in GA, the GA one sounds like a winner in the future. a sort of azcom to ccom situation...

The staff and students there are convinced that GA-PCOM will be the leading DO school of the south in a few years. They've got big plans and the right backing to make a big impact on the physician shortage in Georgia. I am really pumped about hearing back something soon. Any day now since the adcom meeting was today. :thumbup:

For those of you that are currently students at PCOM-GA, could you describe your daily/weekly schedules (classes, labs, etc.)? Do you feel that you have time to enjoy hobbies, exercising, etc.?

Did they say anything about how many people they would be accepting this year? And how many interviewed? Anything along those lines?

They said there were around 2000 applicants i believe, (the highest yet), and around 300 get interviews, and 86 matriculate. I dont know how many actual acceptances they give out though.

So they seem to be keeping the classes small. That's interesting.

How often do the admissions people meet? That is, I'm interviewing next week. When can I expect to be reviewed? Or did they even say?

I think that they meet at the end of every month.