PCOM Biomedical certificate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the certificate program at PCOM. Did it help with your application to med school? The courses are all in the evening, is this a good thing for learning these seemingly intense subjects? What is the schedule like? And the other students?

I'm mighty curious. I applied to the program for the fall. I don't know if I've made it in yet but I'd like to know what the structure is like.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey, im starting the program on aug 18. classes on m w th nites, 5-9pm. i think the first trimester is immunology and microbio. they havent given us too much info yet. if you havent heard anything yet, i would call to check the status of your application bc i know there are certain deadlines for registration and health requirements, etc. good luck.

Thanks for the info. I applied but I was told my GRE scores were too old and that I need to take them again (tomorrow, in fact). If I do well enough, then it should improve my chances of making it in.

There isn't much info on the web. Do you have an additional info on what a normal academic year looks like?

Members don't see this ad :)
gre scores? did you take the mcats? i didnt think gres were required, i only put down mcat scores. i honestly don't know a whole lot about the program yet...they only told me what days I would be going last week. but i do know its basically a lot of biochem, and anatomy. if you do a search on pcom's website for the individual department websites, you can get a little more info out of them. i'll definitely keep you updated with what i find out as i find it out. it sounds like a rally great program. pm me with your e mail.

From my experiences knowing students in the program last year....

You learn very much the same information that the DO students learn,

From many of the same professors, which

Prepares for the method of approach to studying a large amount of information.

Also, it definitely puts you in close contact with the faculty and DO students. Hell, you could stop in the Admissions office on a weekly basis (if you were so inclined) to keep your name and face fresh in the minds of those who grant you acceptance.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Chisel
PCOM 2006

hey guys,

Im currently starting the second year of the biomed program (master's phase) at PCOM. Did you guys get your mentors assigned to you yet? The purpose of your mentors is to answer these questions for you. Anyways, your first semester will be biochem and immuno. Classes are three days a week from 5-9 (the classes usually dont last that long). Most of the people who applyed right out of the certificate program got into medical school ( I think all the people who applied out of certificate all appiled to osteopathic schools). The people who usually stay for the second year are those who are into research or are looking to make their application more competitive for both osteopathic and allopathic schools. If PCOM is the place you want to go to medical school, make sure you get involved with activities and show them that PCOM is the place you want to be. PCOM is pretty loyal to the biomeds. We have our own waitlist where we are ranked higher than other applicants from other schools for the DO program. Your class size will be about 50-60 people and some people have dropped out my year. The classes should not be that difficult considering you only go to class part-time unless you work full-time. Many students did work full-time but they had a more difficult time in classes than those who didnt for obvious reasons. As the previous post said, stopping by the admissions office once in a while does not hurt (hint hint). Take advantage of the fact that PCOM is small. It is very easy to make yourself known in the school if you talk and network. Hope that helps some :)
oh, and you dont need to send in both MCATS and GRE scores. I sent in my GRE because I didnt take the MCAT at that time
feel free to pm me
and most importantly contact your mentors!:D

one more thing....

1st trimester- biochem + immuno

2nd trimester- histology + anatomy

3rd trimester- physiology, neuroscience, and pharmacology