PCOM class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dave - you're nuts. Is that what the advertising job does to ya?

Hey -- Boston peeps, ie Joe, Dave and others, -- what are you all up to for St. Patrick's Day next weekend? Maybe we'll all run into each other down in Fannueil Hall
smile.gif

Michelle
eek.gif

Members don't see this ad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Smile:
You won't regret it. Out of multiple acceptances, I am so glad I came here. Not only is it a great school academically, overall it is also just a fun place to be. You will see what I mean when you all get here in the fall (or summer, if you take the Biochemistry course.)

Smile,
What is this summer biochem course you're talking about? How many people take it? Does it lighten the course load during the regular year? Thanks

I'm not sure what i'm doing on St. Pattie's day but i'm sure i'll be at a bar somewhere in town. Let me know where everyone is going. I'm game to meet. It doesn't necessarily have to be on St. P's day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah St. Paddy's Day...what a great holiday...

Looks like either upstairs at Joe's on the waterfront (a buddy has the whole thing rented out) or a 3-day drunken extravaganza in Southie (16 kegs, 0-T-H)...woo-ha!!!

God bless the Irish!

------------------
-d
PCOM Class of 2005

Aagbay,

The summer biochemistry course is a 3-week course offered by PCOM either as a refresher or as an intro for those who never had it before. The material they teach is nearly identical to the real material when you cover it in Integrated Biomedical Sciences in 2nd term. About 40 students took it last summer. Pros: you see the material ahead of time (so it's not brand-new and overwhelming during the real thing), you get to meet many classmates ahead of time, and you get used to living in Philly and getting to know your way around school early on. Cons: cost is $700, some people say it wasn't worth it, it takes away 3 weeks of your last precious summertime!

You will get information in the mail soon this spring. It really ends up being a judgement call.

ok, who is doing the summer biochem course? Just wondering...

BostonGirl

I don't think I'm doing the biochem course. I talked to a student whose at PCOM now and he said he didn't take it, but knew of others who did and they are doing the same in the course now. I don't know, this is just one persons opinion. Oh and this guy hadn't seen biochem in 10 years. Plus, I think some other poeple on this board said don't waste your time. I guess there's always a chance I'd change my mind though.

Hi Boston Girl,
I too am headed to Philly this Fall! I too am from Boston. I work in the Cardiology Dept. at Children's Hospital. My tenure here is coming to end very shortly...i'm excited to be heading to med school.
I'm interested in meeting my fellow classmates, if your still in the Boston area let's get some other students and get together.

Waiting Doc

After much consideration, I've decided against taking the summer course.

Although the prospect of tackling med school courses after 3 years of non-academic adventures scares the fecal matter out of me, I just can't face giving up what will probably be the last carefree summer of my life. Plus, I'm already going to have one heck of a time leaving my friends up here...I NEED the additional 2 months just to say goodbye
frown.gif

So maybe I'll be screwed/shellshocked when classes start in August. Personally, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

-d

ps: Looks like the Boston-to-Philly crowd is growing...another night of social mixing in the near future is definitely in order. Welcome to the circle, Waiting Doc!

Waiting Doc -- I work across the street from you at DFCI. We should have lunch in the Galleria sometime.

As for another boston event, I propose a meeting at Our House, the Bell in Hand, the Rattlesnake or McCarthys sometime in the next two weeks...

Michelle

The Boston contigency is growing...
Bostongirl, lunch would be great, just tell me a time and we can grab lunch, Children's has a new cafeteria and the lunch is a just tad better than the Galleria, if your up to it. We can meet in front of the Harvard Co-op and take it from there.

Glad to see there are others from Boston going to Philly!

I don't believe that I am taking the summer course either. Basically it comes down to having fun one last time. Anyway, it looks as if all of Boston is moving down to Philly. So, where are all the PA people on this board? We have to start representing!! I think we are getting over run. Just Kidding!! I can't wait until August.

I'm in for meeting up one night. Just let me know the date and time. Best way is to e-mail me at work at [email protected]. Look forward to meeting everyone. If i don't see you guys have a great st. Pattie's day. Sounds like David's going too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

i'll also be starting at PCOM in the class of 2005. all the plans for meeting sound great so far. see you all in the fall.

Scott

Milunn -- very cute. Changing where you're from to "not-Boston". I am actually from the Philly suburbs - I have just transplanted to boston. So, do I get to represent both? I am on the verge of buying a pair of skis, so I hope that you are prepared to show me the slopes of the Poconos b/c the only mountain there I have been to is Blue and the trails stunk (all ice- 'nuff said).

tongue.gif

Michelle

[This message has been edited by BostonGirl (edited 03-13-2001).]

Hi future classmates,

I can't wait to meet you guys in August. Any updates on meeting up in Philly before school begins- someone mentioned Dave & Busters?

Are all of you guys originally from Boston or did you go to school there? Until August.

Buz

I am originally from a city north of Boston. I went to undergrad in Waltham, MA and moved to Baltimore for grad school and then DC for work. Boston is a great city, but I needed a change. However, I am excited for Philly.

Is anyone else originally from Boston? I know there are a number of transplants. I used to work at Beth Israel before I went to grad school, so I am quite familiar with the Boston medical community. I know some of you mentioned DFCI and Children's so it is nice to hear from those with similar experiences.

Look forward to meeting some of you!!!

Later.

Well, I guess I should check in. I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now, but finally decided to register and put up some posts.

I too will be at PCOM in August. I interviewed at PCOM the first week of Feb and just got my letter last week (Mar 8 or 9).
I am from Pittsburgh and went to Penn State (same as Carol Fox). It seems that most people going to PCOM in the Fall are from Boston but I just wanted to let you all know that there are some people from PA around.

I can't wait to see you all in class.

Hello all! I have finally made my long drawn out decision to attend PCOM (vs. UMDNJ).. I feel much relieved and more settled, especially after following this forum for a while.
I can't make it over there for your st. patty's day get together, but does anyone know if PCOM has some sort of accepted students orientation? i know UMDNJ does... PCOM admissions said something about a brunch i think.
also, 2 questions for ya: have people been making housing arrangements already? (is it early now or typical) because i haven't received that information from PCOM yet.

second, i am getting a new service plan for my cell phone soon and am trying to research service in the philly area... i know a bunch of you are from boston and may not know this. but if anyone can give me personal experience input in PCOM area that would be great- (not on service plan details-i can look that up ;p), but how good your reception and signal is, and if you have a lot of dropped calls and stuff. i'm looking mainly at sprint pcs or mci pcs. and at&t.

thanks in advance and i look forward to meeting all of you soon! take care (^o^)

BostonGirl, of course you can represent both areas....and about skiing, I'll show you around the Poconos. You don't have to worry about that. I just hope we can find the time!!!

Welcome Bubba and Kinipeli! You've made the right choice (or at least I hope so b/c if you're wrong then I might be, too). haha!

Kinipeli -- I have sprint pcs and I actually get better service in the philly area than i do up here in Boston. So, I'd say, pick sprint, but there are lots of really good deals out there. Call MCIWorldcom (the office is actually right across the street from school). They sell service for all providers and offer BIG deals.

Also, it's too early to find housing, apparently. The Dean told me that the lists will be out in late April/early May. That's when I am hitting town to look.

Milunn -- I hope we can find the time to ski b/c I am just learning and I could forget what to do if I have to wait 4+ to do it again!!! We can take charge and set up a study-on-the-way-there trip
tongue.gif

I hope you all have a good weekend. Don't drink and drive! (yeah public transportation!)

Michelle

Hey all! New Jersey will also be represented at PCOM in the fall.
Anyone one else from Jersey? Enjoy
St. Patrick's Day!
Looking forward to the fall!
Jim

Hey future classmates,

I haven't been on this site forever so I was glad to see that we have a meeting place.
I am so excited to move to the east coast (I'm a pittsburgh gal!).
I decided not to take the summer class either. I want to savor every last moment of freedom that we have before it all starts
smile.gif

Well, I can't wait

Ok Boston-ites. Who wants to get together this Friday after work for a little gathering? I was thinking McCarthy's, the Rattlesnake or Clery's. but, of course, I am open to any suggestions....

Michelle
[email protected]

hello everyone.....
I have a line on a 3 bedroom house a block away from PCOM. I know this is very premature, but I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone was interested. Also, I don't know many of the specfics. I just have a number and an invitation to go see the place.
take care
michael

hey,
I'll be at pcom with you guys as well next year... and i'm really excited! I'm starting to look for two bedroom apartments in the area. If you were going to look for apartments as well and need a housemate, email me at [email protected] and we can talk about it.

Laurie

I'm in on for a Fri Meeting. I'll go anywhere but my vote would be to meet by fanuiel like Bell in Hand or Purple shamrock or someplace like that. But i'll do whatever. Either call me on my cell at 508-725-8139 or e-mail me at [email protected] to tell me where and when. See you on Fri.

Oh yeah to the girl from Waltham now at hopkins. I went to school in Waltham at Brandeis and i grew up south of Boston first in Brockton then Easton. Now i work at Mass General. see you in August.

I would definitely be interested in any apartments close to PCOM (being carless). haven't tried looking around at all yet, but if you find something great michael or laurie let me know! [email protected]

hey all of you in the Boston area-- We are getting together tomorrow (Friday) night around 6 at the Bell in Hand in Faneuil Hall. Let's me inside at the little bar (not where the band plays). If you need more info, email me at [email protected]

To all of you not in the Boston area-- we can't wait to meet you! Don't worry. I will definitely schedule some gatherings in July or early August for us all to meet. I will be in Philly looking at apts April 17-21, so if anyone wants to meet then, I am up for it.

I hope you are all enjoying the first week of Spring!!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

Michelle

Hey Milunn,

You got me, I'm interested in the house...but wait, is it really a house or just another apartment? I'd settle for an apartment but I think I'd prefer something a little more detached. Fill me in! (my email's in my profile).

Thanks!

-d

Hi All. I just wanted to see what's going on with everyone. I am anxiously awaiting for Spring to actually begin (as it is supposed to snow a bit tonight). I hope you all are doing well!!!!

Michelle

Micheal,

The place you decribed sounds good to me too. Let me know when you are going to look at it. I'm interested also. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

joe

Boston Girl-
we should definitely set something up for when you come down to Philly later this month. This also goes out to anybody around the area to meet. I think it would be fun.

michael

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by milunn:
Boston Girl-
we should definitely set something up for when you come down to Philly later this month. This also goes out to anybody around the area to meet. I think it would be fun.

michael

michael -- what's your schedule like? email me (my emails in my info) and we'll plan it. And anyone else -- April 18, 19 or 20th -- that's around in Philly...

Michelle

Where is everyone going to live? I am moving to Philly in July and was wondering which apts most students live? I look forward to meeting all of you!!

I just went up this past week and rented a place at Lincoln Green. It is very close to the school and allows pets, so it was a perfect solution to relocating with my dog. I really liked the place, but they are certainly not cheap. From what I hear, they are also a good place to live, but you may want to solicit some additional comments. It all depends what you are looking for. There is also a high-rise across the street from Lincoln Green. I believe it is Presidential Towers, but I am not sure.

However, I like Lincoln Green. It is the most similar to where I live now and given my pet limitations, if was the best option for me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dallas DO:
Where is everyone going to live? I am moving to Philly in July and was wondering which apts most students live? I look forward to meeting all of you!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by milunn:
Boston Girl-

michael

Hey Michael -- I am flying into town late Tuesday night and plan on going apt hunting for the rest of the week until I find something. So, wanna do lunch on Wed or Thursday? If you're not in the downtown area, we can meet up and go anywhere. Maybe we can go to Nifty Fifties up at Cottman and the Boulevard. email me at [email protected] and we can exchange numbers and arrange everything. Anyone else who wants to come is certainly welcome, too!

Michelle

Good luck to everyone on their housing search. I live in Philly and cannot decide whether to stay in my current apt. I am dreading looking for a new place. Is everyone looking at places on City Ave?

I would love to meet up with a Philly group. Let me know when and where.

Rebecca
[email protected]

Hello,

I'm a first-year at PCOM. Tomorrow night (Thursday) many of us from our class will be at the Brew Pub in Manayunk to unwind after our exam. If any of you are in the area, it would be a nice way to meet some first-years and get many questions answered!

Hello,
I just got home from work and found an acceptance letter from PCOM. I'm extremely excited and can't wait to meet all my future classmates.
Time to start looking for a place to live!

I also recieved an acceptance from PCOM today, and am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started.

I also recieved an acceptance from PCOM today, and am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started.

Kids,

Just wanted to welcome everyone back after the forced vacation from the boards...Also wanted to extend a hearty welcome to the newcomers to the PCOM Class of 2005 party! Can't wait to meet you all in August.

Oh, and just so you all don't forget, I re-propose a pre-August get together in Philly so we can all get a headstart on the great friendships we're going to have for the next 4+ years!

Take care everyone
biggrin.gif

------------------
-d
PCOM Class of 2005

In agreement with David, yes, we need to have a get together. Due to the forced inability to communicate with each other, the proposed Philly get together never happened. But, I got an apartment and am excited to know where I will be living. I could potentially fit quite a few of us in my place once I settle in, but I think that we might alll be better off gathering at a bar.
Maybe we can hit a PCOM fave. The question is, when are most people planning on moving into town by? If no one will be there until after August 1st, then we should have the party the week before classes start.

Ok, I hope that you are all doing well and enjoying your last few moths before you fully enter the world of medical school. WOOHOO !!!

Michelle

:p :p

Congratulations everyone! I am honored and humbled to call you my classmates. It has been some time since I have visited this site, but am very glad I decided to today. It is wonderful to see 7 pages of posts from my future classmates. I believe it demonstrates exactly what PCOM and Osteopathy are all about. Friendly, intelligent, outgoing, and of course fun loving people. I look forward to seeing all of you on Thursday June 14, 2001 at the Financial Aid seminar or if you can't make it, then this Fall. Please have a safe enjoyable summer!

Sincerely,
Bret Sebastian

Hey guys,

PCOM is gonna be my first choice next year....Do any of u mind giving in some stats so some of us can get an idea of what the adcoms are expecting?

thanks

I don't mind at all, though I feel that I'm in the minority as far as accepted students stats go. Anyway, MCAT 23, GPA 3.62, but I have alot of clinical exposure because I've been a Respiratory Therapist for 5 years.

It has been a while since I was on this site, but I wanted to hear if anyone found places to live around the area.

I just signed a lease with Lincoln Green. (I have a dog so I needed a pet-friendly place, but I loved the place.) Is anyone else considering Lincoln Green or does anyone have any thoughts about the area? I am looking for bank, supermarket, etc. information. Any insights?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone in August!!!!!!

To my fellow PCOM classmates,

Hey guys!!! I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Marcin(pronounced Mar-sin). I am a Penn State grad currently working as a research fellow at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. On June 1st I am moving back home (Holland, Pa-about 30 minutes from PCOM) and planning to live there during medical school. We'll see how that works out!

Anyway, if anyone would like any information on nearby housing or the Philly nighlife just drop me a line...I would be happy to talk.

On the last note, it's really comforting to know that I will be attendng medical school with some friendly, outgoing people. I'm sure it will make our first two years of endless, sleeples nights on campus a lot easier. I can't wait to meet all of you and get started on what I hope will be the most rewarding years of my life.

And, if you guys are still planning a mid-summer get together give a holler! Otherwise I will see you all in late August!!! Have a great summer. :D :mad: :D

nmourtzi,

I just noticed your address!!! Are you currently in Rockville, MD??? I'm living in Silver Spring, MD...probably within minutes of you. Drop me a line...maybe we could get together.

Marcin (PCOM class of '05) :D