PCOM class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BostonGirl

Hi all. I am just looking for my classmates to be. If you'll be attending PCOM this fall, drop a line. I am in Boston and some of us have already met and would like to meet more people
smile.gif

BostonGirl

Congrats to all :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hi congradulation!!!
I haven't even applied to any med school yet but PCOM will be my first choice!
I would like to know how hard you fight to reach your goal and what was the biggest achievement that leaded you to get into PCOM?
Was it a real good GPA, good MCAT or plenty of experiences? maybe interview and your personality?
I would like to hear from you!

I am headed to PCOM and am from PA. So, I would like to meet my future classmates. I look forward to hearing from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
milunn, I'll be heading down in May to check out the housing scene...maybe we could get a rootbeer (& cheesesteak, of course) while I'm there!

cool.gif
smile.gif
tongue.gif

-d
PCOM Class of 2005
(the excitement starts to build!!)

[This message has been edited by David511 (edited 01-31-2001).]

I'll be heading there as well in August. I've already started looking at housing a little bit. Look forward to meeting you guys!

Originally posted by milunn:
I am headed to PCOM and am from PA. So, I would like to meet my future classmates. I look forward to hearing from you.

Milunn --

I will be in Philly tomorrow through the weekend (have to visit the parents
smile.gif
. Email me at [email protected] and maybe we can meet up.

BostonGirl

Hi,

I am from the left coast and will be matriculating this August, class of 2005. I will be there with bells on, as well as a goosedown/gortex shell jacket; it's cold cold out there, geez!

pcomer,

Congrats and welcome to the circle! As a fellow west-coast transplant, let me give you a few other tips regarding must-have items for the <cold> east coast:
1)Mittens, hat, scarf (basically plan to continually dress like you're going skiing)
2)Copious quantities of Carmex
3)Snow shoes (no, not the ones with baskets on the bottoms...I mean shoes that don't turn into skates when you try walking on ice)
4)Prozac: It gets depressing mid-winter when all you want is spring and all you get is grey skies and freezing rain
5)PLANE TIX BACK TO CALI!!!!

Hope this helps!
smile.gif
See you this Summer!

-d
PCOM Class of 2005

Hello Future classmates!!!!!I just got the good news today. I am from the area (Philadelphia) grew up 25 minutes from PCOM, and now go to school in the Poconos. So if you have any questions about the area e-mail me ([email protected]) Also i am looking for some roommates...Talk to you soon!!!!!!!!!

Pat

Congrats PJMCD and welcome!!

I see you go to East Stroudsburg. I am from the Poconos (Saylorsburg) and go to school in Maryland. Actually, I was just up in the Poconos last weekend. Anyway, I just thought that was pretty random.

Bostongirl--sorry I couldn't meet up with you this past weekend. I went home to do some skiing.

Hi to everybody on this topic:
I am hoping to get into PCOM for the Fall 2001 class. I know it gets cold and snowy and gray in Philadelphia in the winter, but I'm used to that since I am from Minnesota.
But, for me, I beat back the winter blues with copious amounts of downhill and XC skiing.
So, for those who know, are any of these activities available nearby in the winter or will I have to resort to indoor activities to survive the winter? Thanks for your responses. Specific info. is encouraged.

misfit

I love meeting my future classmates.

misfit-
For outdoor activities you have the Poconos about an hour and a half away. It is not the best skiing, but since I live there it is kind of convienient. Also, I know some people who work at many of the resorts so I can get a discount, which is nice. anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I hope all of us keep in touch as we get closer to August.

michael

misfit -- there are several state parks around, too, that probably offer CX skiing -- when there is enough snow there. I am not positive about it, though.

milunn -- My family all lives in Bucks County, so I am down there a lot. So, maybe next time
smile.gif

pjmcd -- do you have a place to live already and are looking for people to fill it or are you in the process of looking? I have looked at a couple places, but the Dean told me to wait until March/April to really look because there will be more options.

David -- Boston is dreary-er than Philly and you're doing fine here
smile.gif
We should all get together to watch some XFL or basketball.

I hope you all have survived the snowstorm this week
smile.gif
Apparently, ski conditions were great, but I didn't have a chance to go. Of note, I have decided to move to Philly about a month before classes start and I plan on throwing a little shindig with plenty of Yuengling and other hometown goodies
smile.gif
If you're all there by then, you will be invited
smile.gif
Later...

Michelle

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if any of you applied to or considered attending UMDNJ-SOM? If so, what made you choose PCOM over UMDNJ-SOM?

--just curious

Hello,

I'm an MS1 at PCOM and loving it. I noticed people have been chatting about housing. If anyone's interested, I can post some info as to where are the good (and the bad) locations.

Post away, DocHahn! Since I'm not familiar with Philly, I need all the help I can get.
Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did you find an apartment/roommates? Did PCOM help you?

Thanks much!
biggrin.gif

-d
PCOM Class of 2005

[This message has been edited by David511 (edited 02-07-2001).]

DocHahn-
I was wondering if you were familiar with the McCartney's?

BostonGirl,
I have a friend who goes to temple med school, and he and I are looking for a place in the Roxborough/Manyunck/East Falls area. As far as that party goes, if there is yuengling there count me in!

What are some of the good locations for apartments at PCOM? I was hoping to get a better feel for the area. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit busy today, but we have tomorrow off so I'll post housing info as a new topic then. Just as a quick reply--PCOM will help some. They will send out a packet of info as to where current and past students have lived including address and phone numbers. I however am a procrastinator and waited until July to look. Most of the packet's places were full so I just went to rent.net and apartment.com and went that way. It didn't take too long to find a place. I live in Roxborough were the yuengling likes to flow. That's it for now. I'll post the info tomorrow. Take care...

Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is yuengling, and will I need lederhosen to enjoy it?

------------------
-d
PCOM Class of 2005

Originally posted by David511:
Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is yuengling, and will I need lederhosen to enjoy it?

Dave,
Yuengling is good beer. It's from PA and it's what most people drink when they go out. You just ask for a lager and you get a Yuengling. They make a Black and Tan, too. You pretty much can't get it anywhere but in PA/Philly area. I would skip the lederhosen, although it could possibly add to the experience
smile.gif

Michelle

[This message has been edited by BostonGirl (edited 02-09-2001).]

I was wondering if any of you had received any financial aid packages yet?

No packets yet.

Originally posted by BostonGirl:
Dave,
Yuengling is good beer. It's from PA and it's what most people drink when they go out. You just ask for a lager and you get a Yuengling. They make a Black and Tan, too. You pretty much can't get it anywhere but in PA/Philly area. I would skip the lederhosen, although it could possibly add to the experience
smile.gif

Michelle

[This message has been edited by BostonGirl (edited 02-09-2001).]

Aside from IC Light, Yuengling is the beer of choice in the Pittsburgh area too... I must say its my fave.

I'm joe, I have already met the rest of the Boston Contingent at Sunset Bar and Grille. They didn't have many PA beers on tap but we managed to persevere and have good time anyway. I'm excited for school also. I'm curious to hear about the housing post. How much would be a one bedroom in those apartments right on City line Ave. Oh yeah David if you want a roomate, i'd be willing to check out some two bedrooms. Let me know.
Did anyone think about taking that Biochem class? Why or why not? sorry about the random thoughts throughout this post. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Hi Joe.

The apts (1-bed) on City Line Ave run about $875-$1000, which is about $300 more than places that are set back a little or in Manayunk. I checked out the Lincoln Green apts last time I was home and they're really nice. It brings to mind a quote I heard while at my interviews "you can live like a doctor as a med student, but then you'll live like a student as a doctor". It's a toss up. I was also told to steer clear of Presidential Towers b/c of management issues there, depending on which tower you're in.

Michelle

[This message has been edited by BostonGirl (edited 02-22-2001).]

I finally decided on PCOM. I was fortunate enough to be accepted into a few schools and I just figured out where I'll be.

I see that there is some talk of housing. I'm currently living in NYC with my fiancee. We're wondering where a good place to stay in Philly is...

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Originally posted by TFD1:
I finally decided on PCOM. I was fortunate enough to be accepted into a few schools and I just figured out where I'll be.

I see that there is some talk of housing. I'm currently living in NYC with my fiancee. We're wondering where a good place to stay in Philly is...

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

I posted on the philly housing topic to make it recent, so check it out. There's some good advice on housing there.

BostonGirl

I checked out some housing on/around City Line this past week. Here's some info: Beekman Place $685, Duffield House $625, Greenbriar Club $625, Lincoln Green $865, Imperial Towers $605, Presidential City $670. These are all prices on studio apts (no separate bedroom). Some of these may be a little incorrect (but very close) as I'm going from memory. I wrote all the prices on another paper which I don't have with me now.

FYI -- just so you all know, all of the places that everyone's talking about are big apt complexes. There are lots of private landlords around that rent out their duplexes, etc -- the listings just aren't out, yet. The private listings are usually less expensive. That's what our Dean of Student Affairs told me.

BostonGirl

Joe,

Yeah man, I'm down. I have a feeling the FAO is not going to treat me as lavishly as my cushy advertising job...what a pisser!

How will I keep up the life of opulence (read 'drunkenness') to which I've become accustomed?!?

Anyways, I'm figuring on heading down to Philly in the Spring to check out the hood...email me if you're interested.

------------------
-d
PCOM Class of 2005

Bostongirl,

How do these landlord rentals work- does the school give you a list of potential roomates or do many of the houses have people living in them already, or both? The apts I looked at were nice (at least most of them), but as you said- so expensive!

Hopedoc,

From my experience with apartments in Boston (and I have lived in four different apts in 3 years), landlords have apts available and just list them and you check them out, etc. I can't imagine it would be any different in Philly. Also, another way to find a place is to look at roommate listings, which PCOM should have (just not yet -- too early). There's also online roommate services if you don't want to live with a PCOM student. It's all a big annoying process, but hey, ya need a place to live! I hope that explains it a little.

BostonGirl

Thanks, Bostongirl!

Just wanted to say hi to all you out there and see how everything was going.

Hey Bostongirl!

Where are you from in Boston? I grew up outside of Boston, and lived there until I moved to DC for grad school. I am now on my way to PCOM class of 2005 and very excited.

Oh, and housing, is it still too early for Lincoln Green? Last time I called it was, but I have a dog and he would love it there!!!

Later.

Originally posted by nmourtzi:
Hey Bostongirl!

Where are you from in Boston? I grew up outside of Boston, and lived there until I moved to DC for grad school. I am now on my way to PCOM class of 2005 and very excited.

Oh, and housing, is it still too early for Lincoln Green? Last time I called it was, but I have a dog and he would love it there!!!

Later.

Hi. I am not from Boston, I went to school here at BU. I am from the suburbs of Philly. If you really want to live in Lincoln Green, they told me that I could have put down my application fee and application and as stuff became available they would tell me. I really liked it there too (by the way, I am incredibly jealous that you have a dog, I want one, but have been told by my parents that they refuse to take it if I can't spend enough time taking care of it). I am trying to decide if the location and cost of Lincoln Green (over other apts) are worth it to me over the next 2+ years -- ie, $300*24 mos= $7200 plus the interest that would be accruing on it b/c I'd be paying for it with loans. It's a decision that I am pretty much avoiding. I think that I am still in denial about how much money I am really going to owe. My FAFSA form is making me aware of that
smile.gif

I am counting down the days until I move to Philly
smile.gif

Originally posted by BostonGirl:
Hi. I am not from Boston, I went to school here at BU. I am from the suburbs of Philly. If you really want to live in Lincoln Green, they told me that I could have put down my application fee and application and as stuff became available they would tell me. I really liked it there too (by the way, I am incredibly jealous that you have a dog, I want one, but have been told by my parents that they refuse to take it if I can't spend enough time taking care of it). I am trying to decide if the location and cost of Lincoln Green (over other apts) are worth it to me over the next 2+ years -- ie, $300*24 mos= $7200 plus the interest that would be accruing on it b/c I'd be paying for it with loans. It's a decision that I am pretty much avoiding. I think that I am still in denial about how much money I am really going to owe. My FAFSA form is making me aware of that
smile.gif

I am counting down the days until I move to Philly
smile.gif

Thanks for the response. I agree about the cost, however, I have a old car and I need to have an alternative to getting to school, aka walking. Also, the parking at PCOM is an issue or so I hear, but not quite sure. So, taking into account gas, parking, etc., it may make more sense for me to stay closer to the school. Housing is such drama.

Anyway, the dog thing is great. I work long days and my dog can stay at home and prefers to be alone during the day. Trust me when I say he is absoutely spoiled. Also, it is a great stress relief to have him around. I was concerned about having the time to spend with him, but if you love animals like I do, you make the time. Also, I lucked out. I asopted him about 3 years ago through a rescue league and sometimes you do not know what you are getting. I could not have gotten a better dog. I just hope he likes Philly, or should I say the trees in Philly.

Keep in touch. I wish August were already here. I can't wait to start!!!!

Hello all,

I am a first-year at PCOM. It's been a while since I've posted here so some of you may not recognize me but since we are on break this week, I have finally been able to check out the latest on this message board. It is awesome to see all of you getting excited about PCOM. I love it and am so glad I came here. I also live in Lincoln Green (I noticed a few of you have talked about it.) I will be glad to answer any of your questions, either here or by email me at [email protected]. Good luck-

Hey everyone
I will be attending PCOM in the fall. Does anyone know about the feasibility of going without a car?

Hey Future Classmates!
I have made my final decision and I will be going to PCOM in the Fall. I am so excited about it and meeting all of you! If any of you would like to email me, my address is [email protected]. Congratulations to all you other PCOM class of 2005 people! I hope to hear from you soon!

aagbay-
I just wanted to be the first to welcome you.
Congratulations!!

michael

Kids,

First, a most hearty welcome to bestwishes and aagbay...may I just say you two have excellent taste (in schools, that is
biggrin.gif
).

Second, does anyone know if there is an orientation weekend for all us incoming MS1's so we can meet-and-greet? If not, anyone down for an informal meeting sometime before school starts? I'd really like the opportunity to meet you guys beforehand.

Looking forward to working with y'all.

------------------
-d
PCOM Class of 2005

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by David511:
Kids,

First, a most hearty welcome to bestwishes and aagbay...may I just say you two have excellent taste (in schools, that is
biggrin.gif
).

Second, does anyone know if there is an orientation weekend for all us incoming MS1's so we can meet-and-greet? If not, anyone down for an informal meeting sometime before school starts? I'd really like the opportunity to meet you guys beforehand.

Looking forward to working with y'all.

Sounds like a plan. I don't think that the school has any orientation thing going on, however, I see you are from Boston. Whereabouts? It also seems that some other postings here are from people in Boston. Since I am originally from the area, I will be up there around Easter time. Maybe a few of us "Bostonites" heading to PCOM can get together one night or something.

Sounds like fun!

Later!

That sounds like a good idea- does anyone want to get together before school starts so we can meet?

I think that a get together is definitely in order. I suggest that we all meet somewhere fun like Dave and Buster's. Once I find a place to live, I will be more than willing to invite everyone over, but I have a feeling that there may be quite a few of us. Yeah! I am excited!

Michelle

This is so much fun getting to meet people before we start. I too think it is a great idea to meet before school starts. I'm game!! It seems that our little "club" is getting rather large. I think we all made the right decision in PCOM.

You won't regret it. Out of multiple acceptances, I am so glad I came here. Not only is it a great school academically, overall it is also just a fun place to be. You will see what I mean when you all get here in the fall (or summer, if you take the Biochemistry course.)

Got one thing to say:

smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

-d

ps: sorry, I'm a bit excited at present
tongue.gif