PCOM class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Marcin --

You're living with your parents? I am jealous (financially). I thought about living with my parents (Warminster, PA), but I can't imagine the commute every morning. I think your commute is about 20 minutes less than mine would be. You'll have to let me know what you think of it, I might move home during our second year.

And, since you're so familiar with nightlife down there, you can help me plan the pre-school starting party. I am moving down July 1st. So we can chat then.

SDN peeps -- I hope you all enjoy this
beautiful day!

:) BostonGirl

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Marcin:
•nmourtzi,

I just noticed your address!!! Are you currently in Rockville, MD??? I'm living in Silver Spring, MD...probably within minutes of you. Drop me a line...maybe we could get together.

Marcin (PCOM class of '05) :D

Yeah, I live in Rockville/N. Bethesda next to the White Flint Metro Station. When are you moving back to PA? I am moving out in the middle of June to go on vacation for about a month. I will be moving into my new place in June, but MIA for July and back in August.

We should totally get together if you have time and will be around.

I look forward to hearing from you. It is nice to know someone from the area going to PCOM. I am originally from Massachusetts, but I moved to Baltimore and then DC after I got my Master's at Hopkins.

Talk to you later!

nmourtzi,

Another PCOM student living in the DC area just emailed me about getting together during these next few weeks. I will be here until the 1st of June, then its back to Philly...so if you would like to join us, email me at [email protected]. We'll get together. Talk to you soon.

Marcin (PCOM class of '05)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey BostonGirl,

How are ya? Yes, financially speaking, living with my parents will save me a lot of cash. Although, the daily commute and loss privacy will be my trade offs for not having to pay for rent, cable, hot food, laundry, etc. Yet, I'm sure I will only use my house to sleep, otherwise I will be on campus, working out or studying my butt off. We'll see how it works out. And if you're thinking of commuting during your second year...what do you think of carpooling? Anyway, that's still far away...

I've been getting some emails from some of our fellow PCOMers and it looks like our little get together may actually happen before school starts. A lot of them are moving into the area in early July so we'll put something together then. Keep me posted.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO START AN EMAIL/PHONE NUMBER LIST OF ALL OF US THAT WAY WE CAN GET IN TOUCH IN THE SUMMER...SO ALL OF YOU EMAIL ME YOUR DIGITS WOULD YA?!? :D

Hello classmates,
I'll be in Philly the weekend of the 19th, and Memorial Day weekend!
I would love to meet you guys before school starts.
Email me if there are any takers. ;)

Hey guys,

Does anyone know when the financial aid informational session is at PCOM? I got something at home but haven't looked at it yet. Someone mentioned something and I was wondering when it was. Thank you. ;)

Marcin (PCOM Class of '05)

A little side note: My roomate is currently on the waitlist for PCOM, patiently waiting for that call from Carol. Do any of you know of anyone or anything having to do with this whole process? What are his chances of being accepted? I've heard that a lot of waitlisted people do get into PCOM. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you guys have. Thanks.
:rolleyes:

Hey Marcin,

i'm pretty sure the financial aid meeting is thursday, june 14. hopefully we can all use this financial aid meeting as a reason to get together and go out before classes start. and sorry, but i haven't heard much about the whole waitlist process or when applicants are notified.

Scott

Originally posted by Marcin:
•Hey guys,

Does anyone know when the financial aid informational session is at PCOM? I got something at home but haven't looked at it yet. Someone mentioned something and I was wondering when it was. Thank you. ;)

A little side note: My roomate is currently on the waitlist for PCOM, patiently waiting for that call from Carol. Do any of you know of anyone or anything having to do with this whole process? What are his chances of being accepted? I've heard that a lot of waitlisted people do get into PCOM. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you guys have. Thanks.
:rolleyes:

Hi Marcin, nmourtzi here from Rockville.

I actually can shed some light on that process. I was waitlisted at PCOM last year and did not make it off the list. Actually, according to Carol, last year was a very bad year for waitlisters. PCOM does not rank their waitlisted students (at least not last year). Also, residency does somewhat come into play. I have heard from many people that if a PA resident declines, they accept a PA resident from the waitlist, and vice versa, but this is all word of mouth. They actually re-review all applications to determine who will get accepted. Additionally, it depends on when you interviewed. I interviewed very late last year because I applied late, so I think this affected my chances.

However, I would encourage your roommate to write a letter to Carol Fox, reaffirming his interest in PCOM, etc. She is very responsive. Also, have him call and speak to a counselor. They were extremely helpful.

I hope this helps. Wish him luck!

Scott-

Thanks for the info. The reason I was inquiring about that was that my buddies and I are flying out to Las Vegas for a week. It will actually be that week so I will not be able to make it. I'm wondering if I could meet with someone at PCOM at some other time to discuss my finances. I'll email someone in financial aid and see. But if I can't...I might ask someone to gather some info for me...would you be able to do it? I'll post something soon regarding that.

nmourtzi-

So are we getting together or what? :D Let me know. Also, thank you for all of that info on the waitlist. I really appreciate it. He actually applied later than I and interviewed around March. Do you consider that late? He already sent a letter to Carol Fox explaining his interest in PCOM and his recent doings. I guess all he can do now is wait. :rolleyes:

Marcin (PCOM Class of '05) :D

Hi all you soon to be MS1s,
I just was reading through your comments and I think it's great that you are all so "gung ho" about going to PCOM, and meeting each other. Next week is finals for the first years, so we are all alittle stressed, but if any of you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. I am sure that any of the current PCOM students who lurk around the bulletin board would be happy to answer them!

Take care!

P.S. Marcin--where did you go to high school and what year did you graduate? (I grew up in Holland, PA too.) Also, just so you know, the commute from Holland in the morning could take you about an hour. There are some people in my class that do it and they say that it can be pure hell...

abs,

How are you? Thanks for offering a hand to us incoming freshmen. Any advice that you wished you knew before starting PCOM??? I'm sure everyone in this room would appreciate that!

Now, for the answers to your questions. I went to Council Rock and graduated in 1996. I took a year off to do research after Penn State so is there a possibility I graduatd with you??? Hmmm....Anyway, I am aware of the rush hour situation into Philly, 95 or Route 1 will be hell. I am actually thinking of waking up early and getting to campus before 7 to either work out or study. That way I can beat the morning traffic. I can't imagine sitting in traffic for two hours each day. We'll see how it goes.

And yes, we are all very excited to start! At least I am! I know it will be hard work but we've all chosen to be here so it's time to put in the time and try to enjoy the journey as much as possible.

I have only one major question for you. What is a typical class schedule? I would really like to know that way I can start planning my commute. I know classes start at 8 but do they last until 5 every day or only on lab days? And what labs do you have? If you could just write a quick summary of your typical week it would be very much appreciated. Thank you. And if you are around during the summer I would like to invite you and your MS1 friends to join us, the incoming freshmen, in a little get together. We're planning something for early July so if you're around give me a holler.

GOOD LUCK ON FINALS!!!

Hey Marcin --

I went to Tennent, class of 96. We'll have to discuss and figure if we've met before. I had quite a few buds over at CR.

I was thinking about doing the commute from Warminster, but the thought of living with my parents again scared me more than the 1 hour commute to class :)

I am moving to town on July 1, so we'll definitely meet up then ...

BostonGirl

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I haven't been on this website in a while. When I stared the whole medical school application process last June, I turned to the SDN many times to answer my questions. I knew that I was attending PCOM back in November and stopped visiting the site. After reading through all of your posts, I am really excited to see that there are so many of you that share my excitement about beginning PCOM this year! I just had to say "hello."
I did decide to take the summer biochemistry/molecular biology class. I graduated from college last May, so with a year away from school plus the fact that I was a psychology major, I thought it would be helpful to take the class. So, I will be moving to Philadelphia sometime during the first week of July. I took a trip to Philadelphia a few weeks ago to find an apartment and decided on Lincoln Green. I am happy to read that some of you are planning on living there too. Being a female, living without roommates for the first time in my life, safety was a big concern of mine. I found Lincoln Green to seem very safe.
I hope you enjoy these next few months before we start school. I look forward to meeting all of you in July or August!
Dana
:)

Hi Marcin,

I did graduate from CR with you.. :) Actually, there are a few CR people at PCOM, so hopefully you'll feel right at home... :) Anyway, though, as for our class schedule, it depends on the trimester.. First trimester I think we spent most of our time in the gross lab (4 hours a day/4 days a week)... Besides that you have lectures, but for the most part, I think we were done classes by 1 or 2 everyday (unless you had OPP or histo lab) (we had Anatomy, Histo and OPP first trimester)... Second trimester I think we were in classes about 4 or 5 hours/day and we usually started at 8 or 9 every morning. (If you had OPP lab then your day was alittle longer) (last semester we had IBMS and OPP). This trimester we had Cardiology and now we are doing Pulmonary (and we have OPP of course)... Classes have started everyday at 8 and I think we are done usually around 1 or so (if you have OPP lab then you have to stay later)... That is basically our schedule though... PCOM does a nice job of trying to keep us OUT of the classroom as much as possible... :)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask...

Also, don't forget to make the most of your last REAL summer!!! :)

abs,

Hmmm...well now you have me guessing. It's not fair...you know my name but I don't know yours. :rolleyes: Anyway, thank you for answering my question. It helped to put things in perpsective. :D I'm on my way out tonight but I will be asking many more questions soon so lookout!!! :D
Thanks again.

Marcin

BostonGirl,

Long time no see!!! I can't believe you went to Tennant! I know some people who graduated in '95 so I'm sure we'll have something to talk about.

Anyway, people are emailing me so I'm hoping that this get-together in Philly may actually happen. I'm thinking early July...maybe the weekend after the 4th. Let me know.

Marcin

Marcin,

Yeah, i'd be glad to grab any financial aid info they give us at the meeting for you. You'll just have to let me know how to get it to you. Have fun in Vegas!

Scott

Hey, thanks Scott!!! I would really apreciate it! I will be in Philly after June 1st...email me and let me know when you'll be in the area and I can meet up with you or something. Let me know. But thank you again...

Hi all. I posted here a while back. I will be going to PCOM in the fall. I have been reading a bunch of posts and I have a few questions. First, why is everyone going to Phily so early? I am not going until the last week in July and that is still 3 weeks before classes start. Should we be reading all our books in advance? Am I missing something?
Second, is there a financial aid meeting in June? If so, when, where, what time? I can't find anything about a meeting in any of the packets they have sent me.

Well, thanks for the info.
I can't wait to meet all of you.

Bubba-

Chill. You aren't missing anything. I think that a lot of people (like myself) are moving to Philly early, so that there's time to relax and get all living things in order before classes start. I am moving there so early because it's the first time in 5 years that I will be within 300 miles of my family and I want to hang out with them. So, no, no one will already be studying. I plan on learning to surf down at the shore, which is as close to studying as I will come.

Yes, there's a financial aid meeting. They have sent out two letters about it. If you haven't gotten them, I would call the school to make sure they have your address right. It's on June 14th at 3 pm.

Hey, someone, can I get copies of the financial aid stuff they hand out???? It's my last week of work in Boston and I can't drive down for the meeting. Thanks!!!!

ok, all, have a great holiday weekend... the unofficial start of summer is almost upon us...

Michelle

Hello everyone. I am not going to make the financial aide meeting. I am going to Philly the May 31st to look for an apt. I will be taking the Bio/Med class this summer. Where is everyone going to live?

I am going to be living in the East Falls area, right by Philadelphia University, it is only 2 miles from PCOM. It only took me one day to find a place, there is plenty of places out there.Good Luck!!!

Thanks, I actually found a letter saying there was a meeting but it only said the date not the time.
I will be attending the meeting since my boss is going out of town for most of June and July :D :D :D
Everyone who wants the info they hand out, let me know, I will pick it up for you.

Also, I will be in Presidential apartments because it is the nicest, safest, and closest for the price. If it sucks, I have a year to find some place different.

Hi guys!
I'm a senior med student at PCOM, and every once in a while I like to check the boards to see if I can help you out (like I wished someone would help me out when I was in your shoes). The financial aid stuff is crap. They are not very helpful and usually can't answer even the simplest of questions. The best thing to do is read your loan info--and if you need help, ccontact your lender. As far as places to live. Watch out for the apartment complexes. They lure you in with cheap rates, but they hike it nicely every year--and some of the places are not very nice. Presidential is cheap but they have had problems with roaches and mice. I think the best bet is to grab a local paper and look for privately owned apartments. You will get more space for less money--and it will feel more like "home." Good luck to all of you. If you have any questions or problems, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Hello Everyone,
The search is over! We bought a house in Ardmore this weekend. We should be living in Philly by the middle of July.

Congrats, K9! How 'bout a meet-n-greet BBQ at your place? I'll bring the 40's and pigsfeet.

In other news, have you guys received any type of Financial Aid award letter? All I've got is PCOM's application (already submitted) plus the initial FAFSA receipt...am I missing something here?

-d
PCOM, Class of 2005

PS: Still very excited to meet everyone! 90 days till school! :cool:

David --

I spoke to Desiree in the office a week ago and she told me that award letters don't come out until early July (which probably means August in PCOM terms- the fin aid applications were supposed to be out in January and came in May).

She also said that the best thing to do is call her to make sure that they have everything that they need.

Michelle

(it's really only 90 days?? scary...)

Does anyone know the date when school starts?

I just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone. Now that I am done with college its on to PCOM.....I really don't feel any different....but can't wait to meet new friends.

michael

Is anyone going to the financial aid seminar...I believe that I am since I live pretty close.

oh.....and dave good one about the 40's since it is all that we can afford!!!!

PJMCD,

How many places did you look at before you decided on your place. WHere did you get a listing of apartments.

To the current PCOM student,

Any leads on great aparments close to school for 3 or more people with parking that current students might be vacating?

Wow, It is great to hear all the excitement in your letters. I am now a second year at PCOM, and I am loving it. I will be enjoying my last summer of freedom. I want to clarify a post from someone else. You guys will have Registration/Orientation on August 16-17, and classes begin the following Monday. These two days will be overwhelming, you will meet all your classmates and get all the info you need to get started (i.e which books to buy, what to where to lab(scrubs), etc..) Yes, there will be a party thrown in your honor. Anyway like every other PCOM student on this site, I welcome any and all questions. Oh, by the way I am a Penn Stater and I went to CR.
"You are what you repeatedly do, excellence therefore is not an act but a habit" -Aristotle

P.s Email--- [email protected]

Hey all... I am just saying hi. When is everyone heading down to Philly? I just wanted to see who will be around to meet up during the first two weeks of July. I am thinking about having a little shin-dig.
So, if you'll be in town by then, email me at [email protected]

:) Michelle

I hope I am going down to Philly. I love it there. I am on the alternate list (I am actually Marcin's friend- mentioned in a previous PCOM post). Does anyone know if they have any movement... this is killing me. I was accepted to another school, but I love PCOM and Philly so much that I am considering reapplying if I don't get in. Does anyone know how one is contacted from the waitlist...phone,email,??

I feel I still have a good shot.. depending on how many decline acceptances.

Pat

PCOM (wannabe class of 2005) ;)

My friend just declined her acceptance to PCOM - so another spot just opened up.
On a separate note - i visited the school a little while ago, and it's really awesome. the facilities are top notch - the sixers practice in the PCOM gym (i know that has nothing to do with the quality of the school, but it's awesome, still). the academic facilities are nice, as well. Really warm feel to the place...

Thanks Jeff,
that is music to my ears!
I was trying to play with the numbers a little bit..

I had heard that PCOM accepts 300 for a class of 250 so I guess all of the extra 50 and then a buch of others have to withdrawel for the wailisters to move in.... I wonder how many people with those numbers are put on the alternate list....
It would be awesome if I could find out soon... I am living in D.C. until the end of June ... then I could line up an apt in philly right away.... otherwise I will have to go to my hometown about 45 min north of philly and chew my nails as I wait for some closure.
I should have got my application in earlier... it is my own fault.
Pat :D

Hey guys, i don't know how many of us are still reading this? since there hasn't been much activity recently! but i wanted to see if there is anyone still looking for housing. i found a great apartment close to school when i was there for the fin aid thing, and i'm looking for a (female) roommate ;p. the rent is really cheap, but the place is nice and location seems good. email me if anyone is interested? [email protected] i've already tried to contact a couple people.. but no luck so far. otherwise i hope everyone is having a great summer :cool: and i'll see you all soon! -jen

Hey Guys,

I just popped my head in here to see if anything new was happening. I see you are all away from your computers...hopefully relaxing and enjoying the summer. Happy 4th to you all!

P.S. Hey Patrick O...I will see you at Orientation on the 17th!!!
:D :D

Patrick O you were accepted! a big congrats. i've read how much you've been waiting for a spot-good to hear. see you in august!

Hi all !!! I hope that you've all been having a wonderful summer thus far. I want to see who's in town (philly, that is)and is up for a little Pub action in Manayunk...

email me at [email protected] if you are in town and I will set something up...

Michelle