PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep same here.

You can actually check how far they've gotten doing financial aid stuff on nucleus. Look under financial aid tab on left side at the bottom on new students tab. Then click on outstanding requirements. For mine, it says parent's tax received but not yet reviewed.
Same.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else think that the medical questionnaire form is a big pain in the ass?!? Do you know if they are relaxed on the 8 week deadline for the form?

It's tough to try and get all the records and titer work done when the last time I got a physical was ~5 years ago...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rollo, I don't know how old you are, but if you're in college you probably should have a record of your immunizations in your school's clinic. Your PCP should have it at the very least.

I do but I'm somehow missing the 4th polio dose, TB skin test, and couple of others that have to be within the last 2 years (tetanus and diptheria I believe). Well the last two I'm not missing but I got them long time ago (definitely longer than 5 years).

My 4th polio vaccine isn't documented or something like that. It is combined with a dose on my student health records so I'm hoping my PCP has the exact dates. Tetanus and diptheria come together, usually, along with the vaccine for pertussis...so that's a single injection. As you know, the TB test isn't a big deal, unless you've been exposed to the virus or had the BCG vaccine (non-immigrants of America wouldn't have).

I'm hoping my titer levels are high enough because I don't want to have to under go revaccination. Hepatitis B, although it can be waived, is a 6 month process.

Last edited:
So I shouldn't need tetanus and diptheria again...even though it says on the form that it must be within the last 2 years...?

The 4th dose is a booster I believe. I'm going to find out if the state clinic can hook me up with one today.

No, you'll need it from the way the form looks. Luckily, I got mine in January of last year. Phew. I'm assuming, hopefully, it was combined so that I don't need to get it again.

I fixed my post.

So I shouldn't need tetanus and diptheria again...even though it says on the form that it must be within the last 2 years...?

The 4th dose is a booster I believe. I'm going to find out if the state clinic can hook me up with one today.

the recommendations changed about a year ago requiring another DTaP (i believe) not the standard dT that adults get. Its some stupid thing like that. So you will probably need it again. THe thing is that none of this really matters till the end of second year when you start clinicals. I had friends who didnt submit till then and were fine. I knwo i am going to hear it from the school

the recommendations changed about a year ago requiring another DTaP (i believe) not the standard dT that adults get. Its some stupid thing like that. So you will probably need it again. THe thing is that none of this really matters till the end of second year when you start clinicals. I had friends who didnt submit till then and were fine. I knwo i am going to hear it from the school
Just protecting us from an arthus rxn.

ughhh still no mail from PCOM for me! I'm in CT, it's really not that far!

Yea no mail for me as well. I hate this feeling! But only 1 more week from tomorrow when it could possibly come

Yea no mail for me as well. I hate this feeling! But only 1 more week from tomorrow when it could possibly come

No mail for me either and I am only in Erie. I was really hoping to hear back this week, too. But good call, I forgot that it would only be another week before we all hear something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the waitlist letter today. :(

Maybe it serves me right for applying so late in the cycle. If I need to reapply for next year I'm definitely making it as early as possible.

Two questions:

Anyone know how those on the waitlist did last year? I've tried searching around online and have only found limited info about the PCOM waitlist in recent years.

And what will happen if I reapply in May/June but I'm still on the waitlist from this year? Will that someone lower my chances of getting accepted off the waitlist?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Maybe it serves me right for applying so late in the cycle. If I need to reapply for next year I'm definitely making it as early as possible.

Two questions:

Anyone know how those on the waitlist did last year? I've tried searching around online and have only found limited info about the PCOM waitlist in recent years.

And what will happen if I reapply in May/June but I'm still on the waitlist from this year? Will that someone lower my chances of getting accepted off the waitlist?

I think what you should do is find out how you can improve your application. You can probably do this around May/June when the admissions isn't as busy. This way not only are you in good graces with admissions because they will see that you are genuinely interested in them and willing to improve yourself and the application, but it will also give you a pretty good idea of what to do for the next year.

It would be ludicrous if your chances were lowered for the next cycle because you were still on the waitlist for previous cycle. If anything, it improves your chances because they can see that you are genuinely interested in attending there.

Waitlisted as well, just found out today. More than bummed about this. I'm currently on two waitlists with no acceptances and am freaking out :( Anyone know anything else about movement off of the waitlist? Is there any hope?

Rollo--Thanks for the advice! When you suggest that I call in May to see how I can improve my application, do you mean to see how it can be improved for the next cycle or how it can be improved to help me get off the waitlist?

Gorgi--My situation's similar, except PCOM is my ONLY waitlist (they were the only osteopathic school that I applied to, which, I realize in retrospect was an extremely poor choice).

I just called admissions today and they didn't have too much information. The woman on the phone said that it varies by year. Sometimes very few get off the waitlist and other years EVERYONE gets off. She said there's no way of knowing, and that the waitlist could start moving at any time. She also said you'll be notified by mail if they take you off soon and by phone if it's closer to the time that classes start.

I'd say there's still hope for PCOM. I definitely wouldn't freak out yet. We'll just have to wait! Plus, I figure it's not the absolute worst thing in the world to have to apply again next cycle. If they see we were waitlisted last year and are applying again (and have done or plan to do something over the year off to improve the application), I bet our chances of getting in for Fall 2010 are pretty high.

waitlisted as well..sighhhh. i'm just gunna stay positive and hope I get a call soon. It's just frustrating sending everything into another school/looking for housing and roommates if my heart is set on another school... Especially knowing that if removed from the waitlist I will definitely switch schools.

Anyone know anything about the waitlist? how do they decide if it isn't ranked? Do you think people actually get taken off of it?

its bittersweet..i'm happy i still have a chance, but am still scared I will be ultimately rejected. good luck everyone!

Another waitlister here too. Guess it's time to make that second deposit at KCOM. I was really holding off til I heard from PCOM.

I hope it's one of those years where everyone gets off the waitlist but it's hard to imagine that when their letter indicates they felt more people indicated PCOM as their first choice.

Waitlisted...at two schools. My summer will not be happy. But hopefully we will all get to celebrate together come the end of July. Good luck

Rollo--Thanks for the advice! When you suggest that I call in May to see how I can improve my application, do you mean to see how it can be improved for the next cycle or how it can be improved to help me get off the waitlist?

Plus, I figure it's not the absolute worst thing in the world to have to apply again next cycle. If they see we were waitlisted last year and are applying again (and have done or plan to do something over the year off to improve the application), I bet our chances of getting in for Fall 2010 are pretty high.

Ask them how it can be improved for the reapplication. And you got it right about your chances being high for next cycle. But like I said above, talk to the admissions first. Ask them where you can improve and then do it!

Sucks to hear all these waitlists. Now is the time to send out letters of intent guys.

Two questions:

I am sorry to hear that you have been wait listed. I know first-hand how that feels. I was wait listed last year and sent many letters of intent, took the MCAT again, improved my scores and updated my application. But unfortunately, none of that made a difference to my app and I did not make it in last year. I reapplied in September (after I got the 'wait list officially closed' letter) for the 2009 cycle, got an interview in Jan and was accepted in Feb. Good luck!

I sent in a letter of interest/intent when I got my 'delayed decision' letter. Should I send in another one? or at this point is that overkill. any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Waitlisters, I made a thread that will hopefully act like a support group lol. Its on the main Pre-Osteo wall.

x

Last edited:
I didn't get the CBC (criminal background check); my mom misread the letter. We're supposed to get CBC materials towards the end of April. I did get a confirmation letter for my $2000.00 deposit and it mentioned the CBC.

I didn't get the CBC (criminal background check); my mom misread the letter. We're supposed to get CBC materials towards the end of April. I did get a confirmation letter for my $2000.00 deposit and it mentioned the CBC.

Wow you are quick :)

You youngsters and your crazy abbreviations! Thanks Bacchus

I'm new to this board but I am in a really weird situation and thought someone here might have advice. I intervied at PCOM on 3.11 and was told I'd hear something in 4-6 weeks, but more likely in about 3 weeks. Well, it's been 5 weeks, and no news. My wife and I have had problems with our mail (it's been stolen, and sometimes my mail goes to my dad's house), so I called the admissions office last week just to check in case ANYTHING had been sent and we hadn't recieved it. I was told that we could expect to have something in our hands by the 'middle to end of next week' (aka this week). It did not arrive. Called the office of admissions, and was told that the committee was still reviewing applications. I then spoke with another woman who told me, before getting my name or anything, that I wouldn't hear until the middle of May. When I told her my name, she said I could call on Monday to get a decision. I am so confused! We were planning on going to Philly this weekend based on the decision we thought we'd get this week, but now we're not going.

I've been accepted at WVSOM and just interviewed at LECOM-E but PCOM is definitely my first choice and I am just dying to know either way. If anyone has any idea, that would be great. Thanks! And congrats to you all who are in! I hope to join you!

I'm new to this board but I am in a really weird situation and thought someone here might have advice. I intervied at PCOM on 3.11 and was told I'd hear something in 4-6 weeks, but more likely in about 3 weeks. Well, it's been 5 weeks, and no news. My wife and I have had problems with our mail (it's been stolen, and sometimes my mail goes to my dad's house), so I called the admissions office last week just to check in case ANYTHING had been sent and we hadn't recieved it. I was told that we could expect to have something in our hands by the 'middle to end of next week' (aka this week). It did not arrive. Called the office of admissions, and was told that the committee was still reviewing applications. I then spoke with another woman who told me, before getting my name or anything, that I wouldn't hear until the middle of May. When I told her my name, she said I could call on Monday to get a decision. I am so confused! We were planning on going to Philly this weekend based on the decision we thought we'd get this week, but now we're not going.

I've been accepted at WVSOM and just interviewed at LECOM-E but PCOM is definitely my first choice and I am just dying to know either way. If anyone has any idea, that would be great. Thanks! And congrats to you all who are in! I hope to join you!

I had a similiar problem with an MD school I got accepted to. It all comes down to the money

Here's what you might be able to do:

call the bursar's office. Ask them if their computers say you owe them anything, aka a down deposit. If they say 'no', it's not the end of the world, maybe you're waitlsted, who knows. But if they say, 'yes, will that be visa or mastercard?' then you've got your answer

PCOM may not work this way, but it's a good idea I think! Worked for me

Greetings all, I'll be an upcoming member of the class of 2013.

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas of where to look for housing for my wife and I ?

Thanks a bunch

Greetings all, I'll be an upcoming member of the class of 2013.

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas of where to look for housing for my wife and I ?

Thanks a bunch

The binder you get from PCOM has a list of apartments around that area. I know of Beekman, Imperial, Presidential, Greenbriar, Executive House.

Collect your thoughts before you call again on Monday, and whomever you speak to, tell them in a succinct and calm manner you're almost certain that correspondence that was mailed to you from the admissions office was compromised, and you were told by admissions staff to call [Monday] for verbal confirmation of the decision that was mailed to you.
If you can appreciate the pressure they are under and get what you're trying to get across politely and as quickly as possible, they're going to do what they can to resolve your issue.
That's been my experience, and I'm notorious in some circles for failing to get my initial point across, good luck let us know how it went Monday.

Did anybody receive the letter twice? I got the letter on Monday followed the instructions to complete it and got the same letter again today. Just wondering if I didn't do it right the first time or everyone got the letter again??? Thanks.

Did anybody receive the letter twice? I got the letter on Monday followed the instructions to complete it and got the same letter again today. Just wondering if I didn't do it right the first time or everyone got the letter again??? Thanks.

Yeah, but the second letter had a stand alone explanation of why we need the CBC. shrug, lol, by the time they got the second letter to me my check had already been done.

Yeah, I got the second letter too. Why not just include that letter the first time around? :shrug:

PCOM is spending way too much money on unnecessary paperwork. :laugh: :(

What kind of CBC is it anyway? Is it an FBI check or an online one?

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice you gave me a while ago in the strange situation of the missing decision letter. I recieved a waitlist notification last week.:thumbdown:

HOWEVER - I recieved an acceptance letter today! :thumbup: My wife and I are going to be making our decision between LECOM-Seton Hill and PCOM before May 7th! Anyone have any advice on making that decision???

Hopefully we will be seeing some of you in the fall. Thanks again!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice you gave me a while ago in the strange situation of the missing decision letter. I recieved a waitlist notification last week.:thumbdown:

HOWEVER - I recieved an acceptance letter today! :thumbup: My wife and I are going to be making our decision between LECOM-Seton Hill and PCOM before May 7th! Anyone have any advice on making that decision???

Definitely PCOM. 1) You said yourself earlier that it is your 1st choice. 2) Seton Hill is a new campus but it is associated with a well-established school, so take it for what it's worth. 3) Philly cheesesteaks.

Congrats anyway on the acceptance.

Congratulations, there is a bunch of us waitlisters still hoping for the news you received. Any chance you could reveal your GPA/MCAT and any other important stats?

My application was complete in September and I didn't get invited to interview. Just received a rejection letter from PCOM addressed to someone else. My letter went to someone else...

My application was complete in September and I didn't get invited to interview. Just received a rejection letter from PCOM addressed to someone else. My letter went to someone else...

That's horrid.

are any of you from an accelerated 7-year program with USP, Gannon, or Shippensburg??

Finally got my PCOM rejection. What a shocker.

Only took about nine months.

Fed it to the dog.