PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PS- what exactly are the stats they are looking for?

When i went on their tour my stats were exactly the ones that were displayed on the big projecter. I even shadowed a doctor and got a great recommendation letter from a doctor who graduated/works for/ got an excellence award from PCOM, and yet NOTHING. this is KILLING MEEEE!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've had my application completed since november and I have yet to hear from them. All they ever keep telling me is that my application is complete. DUH! i know that!! I've been accepted into two other schools but this is my number one choice and i have yet to hear anything from them. My friend sent in her application in January and already got an interview call. I mean wth??? does anyone know when they stop sending out invitations for interviews??? I hate not hearing anything from them.

i am in the SAME boat ... PCOM was in my top 2 and ive been accepted to the other but it is still aggravating that they don't tell you ANYTHING!

i'm just telling myself to look on the bright side that im in somewhere! keep us posted if you hear anything from them tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here. im assumine they just arent going to send an interview invite. its alright i got accepted to my other top schools. just surprising they dont get back to you sooner.

Has anyone who interviewed on March 11 heard back yet? I'm getting really anxious :xf:

I got a letter today from PCOM that said among other things, this:

We are currently working with an active wait list for the C/O 2013; if your educational plans change at any time, I would ask that you please notify us in writing ASAP.

I got a letter today from PCOM that said among other things, this:

We are currently working with an active wait list for the C/O 2013; if your educational plans change at any time, I would ask that you please notify us in writing ASAP.

What the crap.

I just need to vent that I've been in PCOM Limbo for far too long (Interviewed Nov 20) and I can't take enough anxiety pills to help it anymore!

I went to the accepted students brunch and there were at least 200 students there. They were allowing us to pay our second deposits that morning.
While at the admissions office, I saw a whole pile of envelopes sitting at the receptionist's desk to be mailed. Good luck to those waiting! I understand how hard this is.... I was wait listed last year.

ARR, I was there too. I think that in fact may have been the letter I received today. I live in Philadelphia so its a possibility. However, thinking about the stack, I don't think it was big enough for all the people still requiring deposits.

We also found out at the brunch that PCOM has had an astonishing 6200 applications this year! Wow.

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those still waiting. I had a question about health insurance. Is it required to take PCOM's Health Insurance if you are no longer covered under your parents insurance plan? And if not, does anyone have any recommendations on pvt insurance that is less expensive and are happy with? Thanks in advance.

Those who are on waitlist...April 15, guys. It's coming up in 2 weeks. Just hold on a wee bit longer.

I couldn't make the brunch. Did I miss anything? And that 6200 statistic is very impressive! Any other interesting statistics shared at the brunch?

Members don't see this ad :)
While at the admissions office, I saw a whole pile of envelopes sitting at the receptionist's desk to be mailed.

Good luck to those still waiting! Here's to hoping that some of those letters are for us "find out by April 15th" people and that some of those envelopes are acceptances!

No, but President Schure (that might be the wrong spelling) said how well we did on Accreditation and also talked about a survey the school does with rotation sites. Supposedly PCOM's students are consistently ranked at the top or extremely close to the top.

I love ego stroking, haha.

I withdrew today. Hopefully that opens up an acceptance to one of you guys. Good luck!

ARR, I was there too. I think that in fact may have been the letter I received today. I live in Philadelphia so its a possibility. However, thinking about the stack, I don't think it was big enough for all the people still requiring deposits.

We also found out at the brunch that PCOM has had an astonishing 6200 applications this year! Wow.

Out of those 6200 applicants, do you know how many they interviewed?

I am on hold until April 15th along with the others....this waiting is killing me!

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those still waiting. I had a question about health insurance. Is it required to take PCOM's Health Insurance if you are no longer covered under your parents insurance plan? And if not, does anyone have any recommendations on pvt insurance that is less expensive and are happy with? Thanks in advance.

No you are not required to be on PCOM's health insurance but its a really good plan. There is an HMO version if you want somethign cheaper. If you go out on your own in philadelphia IBC controls pretty much the entire city so a plan through them is your best bet. It is accepted everywhere. It is also the company pcom uses.

Out of those 6200 applicants, do you know how many they interviewed?

I am on hold until April 15th along with the others....this waiting is killing me!

At my interview in late February Deb Benvenger said 550-600 when someone asked.

Bacchus, did you ask about the average MCAT score for incoming freshies of c/o 2013? Still 24?

Had to miss the brunch b/c I'm still in grad school. Does anyone know how to get PCOM email working on my blackberry. For some reason it wont let me set up the account.

Had to miss the brunch b/c I'm still in grad school. Does anyone know how to get PCOM email working on my blackberry. For some reason it wont let me set up the account.

It won't work. Check your email on nucleus or get it forwarded to another email account using the option under 'settings' whilst in your email account

has anyone else figured out exactly what time their mail is delivered??? haha....I havent felt this way since 12th grade!

Random question for the elders reading this. Is POMA still supplying us with scopes and coats? Which scope?

they have in the past but they could always decide not too. I dont think it will change. You get the cardio III from litman. Top quality. Even if they decided for some unknown reason not to its best to wait till school starts to get your equipment because you can get a group discount with the school. This applies to your otoscope.

they have in the past but they could always decide not too.

Same happened to me today. I just found out that my wife's nursing school is not going to be automatically covered if she works there for three years, as per admissions/agreement/"hospital policy > 10 years" when she applied. And no, a pay increase did not occur either. Looks like I have to drop the $16k to cover it.

bastards. :mad:

If you don't see it, don't count on it...I'm definitely looking forward to the dow/s&p/credit market/employment to edge back up asap....

Last edited:
So I received the official waitlist letter today!!! Not another delayed decision letter. Wooo..I look forward to the next few months of additional waiting. The letter states that they don't rank the waitlist. So does anyone have a clue as to how they choose who to accept off the waitlist? When's the earliest someone has been accepted?

After interviewing in February and getting the heartbreaking "delayed decision until April 15" letter in March... I got my acceptance letter in the mail today! PCOM was my absolute first choice and I did already send $1500 to LECOM to hold a spot there, but now that's the happiest $1500 I'll ever lose!!! Maybe I can make the day of someone on LECOM's waitlist now. After this long, long wait (sent my secondary in October) it's finally so worth it :) YES!!!

By the way, if anyone else is wondering, they did extend the deadline for the $2000 deposit until May 15 (they want the $250 in 7 days).

After interviewing in February and getting the heartbreaking "delayed decision until April 15" letter in March... I got my acceptance letter in the mail today! PCOM was my absolute first choice and I did already send $1500 to LECOM to hold a spot there, but now that's the happiest $1500 I'll ever lose!!! Maybe I can make the day of someone on LECOM's waitlist now. After this long, long wait (sent my secondary in October) it's finally so worth it :) YES!!!

By the way, if anyone else is wondering, they did extend the deadline for the $2000 deposit until May 15 (they want the $250 in 7 days).
Congratulations! Looks like you'll need to work some extra hours over the summer! ;)

Congratulations! Looks like you'll need to work some extra hours over the summer! ;)

Thanks. I know, but I don't even want to think about that right now. I'm just so happy to be in, and even figuring LECOM's lower tuition and my lost deposit, I'll really be saving money in the long run because I can live at home here in the Philly area and commute.

They extended the $2000 deposit for everyone or just you since you were recently accepted?

They extended the $2000 deposit for everyone or just you since you were recently accepted?

probably just her, the AOA asks that schools give the student at least 30 days to acknowledge an acceptance.

Yeah, the May 15 deadline was just what my letter specifically said. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they extended it across the board. I was addressing those of us with the "delayed until 4/15" letters who were wondering about whether we'd need to turn around w/ $2k right away, so I should have made that more clear.

p.s.- I've been dying to be able to add this to my sig :)

Any idea/thoughts on how and if the wait-list might move? I'm getting the impression filling this class was easy given a higher number of applicants.

My understanding is that deposits to hold places in the class are done on a rolling basis, so most of the class is most definitely accounted for at this point right? (meaning that april 15 and may 15 deadline is only a deadline for a very small percentage of accepted students)...Just trying to figure out the real deal here i'm feeling pretty low...

No, I think the $250 deposits were due on a rolling basis but so far I think only 12/15 and 4/15 have been set as $2k deposit dates, so I'd say less than half the class has actually had to pay their $2k so far. I bet there will be a lot more openings on April 16 when people who paid $250 fail to send in $2000. And in May, when the MD schools have their big deadline and see movement I bet a lot of people holding a PCOM spot might get into an MD school they prefer and will withdraw. I wouldn't despair at all yet!

That response made me feel better. You seem like a very nice person (and the kind of classmate I'd want...). Thank you. I will try to be optimistic.

That response made me feel better. You seem like a very nice person (and the kind of classmate I'd want...). Thank you. I will try to be optimistic.

my guess is they wont even address the waitlist till after the 15th just to see how many spots they need to fill that allows them to go over the list better.

Sorry if this is a repeat post;
Does anyone know if they are still offering interviews?
Has their interview season completed?

Haven't heard anything back from them since my 2° was complete

Has anyone gotten any financial aid reports from PCOM? If you did, are any merit awards on your application? I'm getting anxious, although there is no real reason to be, I guess.

Congrats! :)

Has anyone else with a 'delayed decision till April 15th' heard back yet? I'm in the same boat and am hoping that my letter is only being delayed because I am a bit further away...

Congrats! :)

Has anyone else with a 'delayed decision till April 15th' heard back yet? I'm in the same boat and am hoping that my letter is only being delayed because I am a bit further away...

I called them today and they told me all the decisions have been mailed to everyone who got that letter. It looks like some people already got their letter. I am in the same boat as you though. I did not get anything today but probably tomorrow.

I called them today and they told me all the decisions have been mailed to everyone who got that letter. It looks like some people already got their letter. I am in the same boat as you though. I did not get anything today but probably tomorrow.

ooo thanks for the heads up! and good luck! :luck: let's hope for some good news tomorrow! :xf:

Has anyone gotten any financial aid reports from PCOM? If you did, are any merit awards on your application? I'm getting anxious, although there is no real reason to be, I guess.

Hey Bacchus. I called them today and they said that they were still reviewing them. Reviewing parent's tax, etc.

Hey Bacchus. I called them today and they said that they were still reviewing them. Reviewing parent's tax, etc.

Yep same here.

You can actually check how far they've gotten doing financial aid stuff on nucleus. Look under financial aid tab on left side at the bottom on new students tab. Then click on outstanding requirements. For mine, it says parent's tax received but not yet reviewed.