PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NOPE...............they are getting on my nerves...........:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I have withdrawn my acceptance from all schools except AZCOM and PCOM. I can't decide whether to attend PCOM or AZCOM...I know they are very different, but they are both GREAT schools.

Here is my problem: I think PCOMs curriculum is one of the best you could ask for. Their clinical rotations are set in one of the greatest medical cities in the US with a lot of medical history and medical hospitals and unique opportunity. But, the cost of living in Philly is outrageous. I am married and can't split the cost of living with someone else. We have a dog. Renters do not accomodate pet owners in Philly, and it seems unlikely that we could afford to buy a home in Philly. My husband is a firefighter and will hopefully find a job out there doing the same- so possibly could afford a home? (any input from anyone who might be in a similar situation?) However, I am not sure what I think of AZCOM's quarter system for their curriculum and overall I think I would like PCOMs curriculum better. But, AZCOM is set in Glendale, AZ where the cost of living is wayyy cheaper than Philly and the people are friendly and I am from a neighboring state so the transition I imagine would be much easier to go to AZCOM. I feel like my pro and con lists for each school are even. The problem, the pros for PCOM are based only on the school and not the environment and personal reasons. The pros for AZCOM are mainly for personal reasons, environment, and location...

What is more important? Obviously you are paying a TON for this education so you'd think curriculum would take precidence. But, I think in order to be successful you should be happy in your environment and I envision myself happier in Glendale than in Philly. I think AZCOM is still a great school; there really isn't such a thing as a "terrible" med school. I think you make of it what you want and you determine your success. I keep wavering...and I need to make a decision SOON, before more $$ is due!

How did you guys decide which school to go to if you had choices? These are the 2 schools that felt like they would be a good fit for me. But for such different reasons and I am not sure what should take precidence: personal reasons or curriculum/educational reasons?

Thanks for any input!:oops:

I'm attending PCOM in the fall, so I'm pretty bias, but I wanted to address the cost of living thing. I'm also married so I know what you mean by not being able to split the cost with anyone.

However, I wanted to point out that I really don't think the cost of living is that horrendous in Philly. I don't know how it compares to AZ, but you can definitely find an apartment around Philly for $700, $800, $900, which I don't think is that outrageous. I've also seen a lot of properties advertise that they accept pets. Check craigslist and you'll definitely be able to find something.

If you really want to attend PCOM, don't let the cost of living hold you back! Good luck on your decision.

I wanna know now!!! I can't stand waiting. Come on letter of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanna know now!!! I can't stand waiting. Come on letter of acceptance.

I interviewed the last week of February and still haven't heard anything. I had an interview at another school on 3/4 and have already heard back! But they told us it would be mid-March. 3-4 weeks seems like a really long time to wait, I wonder if their adcom only meets once per month or something? It's killing me too. Someone from an interview a few days after mine said he was told around March 17 so I don't think it'll happen until next week...

No offense, but I would rather spend a thousand dollars on a better laptop. That's a netbook and a Dell... Bleh. :p I've never heard good things about a Dell and a netbook. They are very limited in features and for a main laptop, I don't think its even worth the $299. I think my Ipod touch can do a lot of the things that can.

It's your money man! I'm just curious what other functionality you need regarding medical school attendance. It's also lighter than a macbook air and cheaper, so I think it's more functional from that standpoint

BTW I just realized where your picture is from. Good game! Just FYI: one won't be able play The Pitt on either laptops we're discussing. So really, aren't they all the same then? ;)

It's your money man! I'm just curious what other functionality you need regarding medical school attendance. It's also lighter than a macbook air and cheaper, so I think it's more functional from that standpoint

BTW I just realized where your picture is from. Good game! Just FYI: one won't be able play The Pitt on either laptops we're discussing. So really, aren't they all the same then? ;)

Woot a Fallout fan!!! Man I loved that game. I'm excited for the Pitt too lol. Anyways, I do have a quad core gaming machine that I will also be bring with me to PCOM. Just need that cool laptop to go with it. :cool: But your a Fallout fan!!!

Woot a Fallout fan!!! Man I loved that game. I'm excited for the Pitt too lol. Anyways, I do have a quad core gaming machine that I will also be bring with me to PCOM. Just need that cool laptop to go with it. :cool: But your a Fallout fan!!!

Save your money man and put it towards your 'rig! You could upgrade to one of those new i7s for the difference between those laptops.

Honestly, what would you do with that Macbook Air that you couldn't do with that cheap dell? The dell is lighter too...

Until March 24th, Lone Warrior, be brave and vigilant. The Enclave is ever watchful, and war...war never changes

hahaha I know I'm a total geek, it's a good thing I have the gf locked down with an engagement ring, or else my arse would be single!:D

Accepted, Interviewed on 3/5. :love: All the best to those whom interviewed with me on the same day, and also those who are still waiting!

As we all know, the due date for the second deposit is coming up in April. Do you guys know if PCOM admission is gonna send us an envelope for mailing our deposits? Are they going to send an email for instructions or anything like that?

Save your money man and put it towards your 'rig! You could upgrade to one of those new i7s for the difference between those laptops.

Honestly, what would you do with that Macbook Air that you couldn't do with that cheap dell? The dell is lighter too...

Until March 24th, Lone Warrior, be brave and vigilant. The Enclave is ever watchful, and war...war never changes

hahaha I know I'm a total geek, it's a good thing I have the gf locked down with an engagement ring, or else my arse would be single!:D

FatBlindKid on Crysis. I should probably make that more PC now...:laugh: Fortunately, SDN addiction > gaming addiction

As we all know, the due date for the second deposit is coming up in April. Do you guys know if PCOM admission is gonna send us an envelope for mailing our deposits? Are they going to send an email for instructions or anything like that?

No idea, but I did first and second deposit in the same envelope :biglove:

No idea, but I did first and second deposit in the same envelope :biglove:

Mr. Moneybags! :rolleyes:

BTW Dell is terrible, and every hospital I go into they use them and every hospital I spend more than 5 minutes at I hear some tech or admin cursing under their breath or for all to hear and see because their dell crashed.
you get what you pay for. I don't know anyone except those who work on computers who have been able to maintain a dell laptop for 5 years, and that's the standard with mac.

Interviewed 3/5 and received my acceptance letter today (3/14) SOOOO EXCITED. PipiChen, did you interview in the morning or afternoon?

PCOM CLASS OF 2013!!! woot!:love:

Mr. Moneybags! :rolleyes:

Nope...it was slated for NSUCOM, due 3/15, but was applied to PCOM instead ;) I also wanted to make sure they got it in time...I tried "but it was late" at LECOM-Brad which was not worth even a phone call to them. Acceptance retracted for late deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 3/5 and received my acceptance letter today (3/14) SOOOO EXCITED. PipiChen, did you interview in the morning or afternoon?

PCOM CLASS OF 2013!!! woot!:love:

Gratz!!!! It was the afternoon one that started at 11.45am. :love:

Interviewed 2/23, got the "we are delaying a decision until April 15" letter. Trying to figure out if this is better than waitlist or not. I would guess that if they knew they didn't want you they would just send a rejection, but I haven't read here where anyone was actually given a rejection letter yet (or maybe they just don't want to come here and post about it?). So I'm trying to figure out if being in this group means come April you'll either be waitlisted versus rejected, or if it means you'll either be accepted versus waitlisted.

Interviewed 2/23, got the "we are delaying a decision until April 15" letter. Trying to figure out if this is better than waitlist or not. I would guess that if they knew they didn't want you they would just send a rejection, but I haven't read here where anyone was actually given a rejection letter yet (or maybe they just don't want to come here and post about it?). So I'm trying to figure out if being in this group means come April you'll either be waitlisted versus rejected, or if it means you'll either be accepted versus waitlisted.

I interviewed 3/4 and was told the same thing so I feel your pain. I hate not having any idea where I am going to be in three months.

Interviewed 2/23...got a letter today stating they will continue to review my application. :scared:

Well i got rejected..............so i guess i am going to Temple.......Temple Med.....it has a nice ring to it............:laugh:

Well i got rejected..............so i guess i am going to Temple.......Temple Med.....it has a nice ring to it............:laugh:

I am sorry to hear that bud, best wishes to you at TU :thumbup:

Last edited:

Did you get an outright rejection or just the "delayed until 4/15" letter? I can't believe you could get accepted at Temple and PCOM wouldn't even waitlist you! But Temple isn't a bad consolation...

Well it's really about who you know....although my folks got me the interview at PCOM....i guess they don't make the final decision. I know alot of people at many med schools...i have 4 MD schools to choose from and PCOM was the only DO school that i applied to;) So in the end...it all works itself out.....But because i am married and i want to stay home in my own house...i will go to temple.

Oh, yeah it was a outright rejection......I laughed when i seen it....

Is that Temple MD or Podriatric? Just curious.

Because I don't think anyone can get into 4 MD schools without getting into PCOM. Because I think your stats would have been excellent.

The good news is you will be going to an outstanding clinical program with a brand new medical school building.

Is that Temple MD or Podriatric? Just curious.

Because I don't think anyone can get into 4 MD schools without getting into PCOM. Because I think your stats would have been excellent.

well acually temple med and temple pod were both good to me this cycle...Drexel was a waitlist...and there were 3 other med schools not in the state....And to tell you the truth like i said, it's all about who you know. Whether you know it or not, Med school is home to alot of smart people 75%,, But the following 25% got there on the "who you know basis"..there are so many people who are substandard but got accepted because of their parents, associations, and other donations$$$$... this has been going on for years. When i interviewed at PCOM my interviewer was my friend.....:laugh: My friend (really good friend) her dad is a dean at Temple and Jefferson and sits on the board at a few others.....so like i said....it's all about who you know....I applied to all types of medical schools for 2009. MD, DO, DPM, PA, PA anesthesia, etc. I didn't limit my oppurtunity to just MD and DO. I like health care......not being called a DOCTOR... If all i worried about was being called a DOCTOR i would get a PhD:D
And i have seen many people get rejected from PCOM for lots or reasons..although their stats was outstanding!!!!
But...life goes on....and truthfully i gave Temple my deposit money back in January...so i knew i had a home to go to..My husband says, i just wanted to see how many schools would accept me.:rolleyes:

well acually temple med and temple pod were both good to me this cycle...Drexel was a waitlist...and there were 3 other med schools not in the state....And to tell you the truth like i said, it's all about who you know. Whether you know it or not, Med school is home to alot of smart people 75%,, But the following 25% got there on the "who you know basis"..there are so many people who are substandard but got accepted because of their parents, associations, and other donations$$$$... this has been going on for years. When i interviewed at PCOM my interviewer was my friend.....:laugh: My friend (really good friend) her dad is a dean at Temple and Jefferson and sits on the board at a few others.....so like i said....it's all about who you know....I applied to all types of medical schools for 2009. MD, DO, DPM, PA, PA anesthesia, etc. I didn't limit my oppurtunity to just MD and DO. I like health care......not being called a DOCTOR... If all i worried about was being called a DOCTOR i would get a PhD:D
And i have seen many people get rejected from PCOM for lots or reasons..although their stats was outstanding!!!!
But...life goes on....and truthfully i gave Temple my deposit money back in January...so i knew i had a home to go to..My husband says, i just wanted to see how many schools would accept me.:rolleyes:

Okay first let me figure this out, so Temple offered you an acceptance and you were also waitlisted at Drexel, and you just want to see how many other programs you would be accepted?? Gosh, and the part about people "buying" their way into the program, where is the proof or source of these information? I mean power to you for getting accepted at Temple and those carib programs, but posting such dramatic claim is very irresponsbile in my opinion. Also, your words contradict your comment itself; first you said the person interviewed were your good friend with some powerful connections, then you got outright rejected?? Thus far, applicant with average profiles are mostly being held for an decision sometime in April. Then, we have you, who are supposedly to be very competitive not only in numbers, but in other areas as well telling us you got rejected. From your other posts, you said you got similar stats with someone has a 21 MCAT and a GPA of ~3.4; you also said you got 12M on the MCAT for the first round. I am sorry but it just makes absolutely no sense at all.

well i'm not even going to argue this out...cause it ain't worth it..the first time i took the mcat i got a 12 three years ago....since than...yes i got my score to jump up...my gpa is average for lots of schools...not my mcat...but gpa is fine. (Grad GPA)
the interviewer was my friend....but isn't the person who makes the final desicion or sits on the board. So this person did as much as they could...what eva... i assumed some reasons for denial....such as shadowing a DO and a few other things that i didn't do right....but hey it happens. Maybe the doctor that was in the room when i interviewed felt he didn't like it...i really don't know. All my friends who work on admissions at other schools couldn't believe it when i told them...but hey it happens. I only applied to one DO school...and i only did that cause it was close to home and i used to work in Evans Hall.
And i rejected from many MD schools cause my stats wasn't what they were looking for..but oh well that happens to..
One of my grad school class mates got rejected to...and he got a 27 MCAT and average GPA for school standards...but he also got accepted else where..MD and DO.
So the moral of the story is...it happens..when one door closes...another opens...and i'm not ashamed of having friends who can make things happen...that's how the world operates.. Med school is competitive and hard to get into...as we all know.. If you got quarter in your pocket that can make a transition much easier...you would be a fool not to use it....and if you say you wouldn't use it, you'd be lying....when your done med school and competing for that competitive residency spot...you'll be surprised how many people get things cause of who they know....

Last edited:
AACOMAS Verified: 09/24
Secondary Complete: 10/30
Interview Invite: 12/20
Interview: 02/19
Accepted: 03/12

Watch out PCOM, here I come!

AACOMAS Verified: 09/24
Secondary Complete: 10/30
Interview Invite: 12/20
Interview: 02/19
Accepted: 03/12

Watch out PCOM, here I come!

Congrats............Now kick butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one in this situation... AACOMAS was released to PCOM on 11/19, and my application was complete in early January because of complications regarding my letter of recommendation. I know this is later than it should have been, but I haven't heard squat from admissions since then. I wrote a update letter the other day, and got confirmation on the receipt of the email (generic reply about how many emails they receive, they should be getting back to answer my question, yadda yadda) but nothing about adding it to my file.

Is it way too late to even hope for an interview?

well i'm not even going to argue this out...cause it ain't worth it..the first time i took the mcat i got a 12 three years ago....since than...yes i got my score to jump up...my gpa is average for lots of schools...not my mcat...but gpa is fine. (Grad GPA)
the interviewer was my friend....but isn't the person who makes the final desicion or sits on the board. So this person did as much as they could...what eva... i assumed some reasons for denial....such as shadowing a DO and a few other things that i didn't do right....but hey it happens. Maybe the doctor that was in the room when i interviewed felt he didn't like it...i really don't know. All my friends who work on admissions at other schools couldn't believe it when i told them...but hey it happens. I only applied to one DO school...and i only did that cause it was close to home and i used to work in Evans Hall.
And i rejected from many MD schools cause my stats wasn't what they were looking for..but oh well that happens to..
One of my grad school class mates got rejected to...and he got a 27 MCAT and average GPA for school standards...but he also got accepted else where..MD and DO.
So the moral of the story is...it happens..when one door closes...another opens...and i'm not ashamed of having friends who can make things happen...that's how the world operates.. Med school is competitive and hard to get into...as we all know.. If you got quarter in your pocket that can make a transition much easier...you would be a fool not to use it....and if you say you wouldn't use it, you'd be lying....when your done med school and competing for that competitive residency spot...you'll be surprised how many people get things cause of who they know....

I'm glad you're not going to PCOM :laugh:
Thank goodness they had the sense to keep you out. I have to write admissions a "Keep up the good work" note.
Best wishes.

I've read and/or heard from other colleges that they accept anywhere from 40-50% up to two-thirds of people off the waiting list, and that it can move quickly because a lot of people will have moved on and registered elsewhere. Does this figure sound about right for PCOM- could one count on at least a 50/50 shot at getting in off the waitlist? And is it true that they continue to invite people in off the waitlist even into the first few weeks of class in the fall?

ps- I ask only because I assume the waitlist is where most of us with a "delayed until 4/15" letter are going to end up. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thank goodness they had the sense to keep you out. I have to write admissions a "Keep up the good work" note.
Best wishes.

I don't think those ppl would support just anyone they knew; rather they must haven seen potential in a candidate while in the same time know his/her motivation on a personal basis. It is like a rec letter. If what you said is true, PCOM needs to have an ethics com to clean up the admissions. At most schools you are not supposed to be interviewed by your supposedly friends. It protects everyone from inquiries concern potential conflicts of interest. Also, the final decision is made by a com not a single person. I am sure it is there to make it fair and square for every candidate.

Best wishes.

Yeah I have to say, she is a little shady... Applying to all these schools just to see which ones would accept her. Hmm... Best of luck though :thumbup:

Best wishes.
your funny!!!!!!! :laugh:

"Yeah I have to say, she is a little shady... Applying to all these schools just to see which ones would accept her. Hmm... Best of luck though :thumbup:"

your funny to!!!!!!!!!:laugh: although i didn't say that...my spouse said it (as i said b4)

best of luck to all the PCOM'ers it is a great school with great students and great staff. I wish you all the best of luck and maybe we will cross in clinicals one day...:p I'm not going into a flaming war of who's right or wrong, the arguing is grade school. Since you will all be doctors one day, i hold a certain respect for you. We are all striving for the same thing whether we agree or not.

your funny!!!!!!! :laugh:

"Yeah I have to say, she is a little shady... Applying to all these schools just to see which ones would accept her. Hmm... Best of luck though :thumbup:"

your funny to!!!!!!!!!:laugh: although i didn't say that...my spouse said it (as i said b4)

best of luck to all the PCOM'ers it is a great school with great students and great staff. I wish you all the best of luck and maybe we will cross in clinicals one day...:p I'm not going into a flaming war of who's right or wrong, the arguing is grade school. Since you will all be doctors one day, i hold a certain respect for you. We are all striving for the same thing whether we agree or not.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, my apologies. Good luck.

So what laptop are you guys getting??? My post got lost up there. lol

Is PCOM still interviewing?
I don't think so. I interview back in Feb 07th and I was told that I was accepted on the phone. then I received a letter saying that they had not made a final decision on my case. I called them and they told me that is because they already had the class full but I was a good candidate so they will wait to give me the next open spot. Why would they keep interviewing after such

Is PCOM still interviewing?

Yes, they are still interviewing. They say until the end of March, but I know someone with an April 2 interview. Now if the question meant are they still offering interviews... I don't know but at this point I think it's really unlikely.

I don't think so. I interview back in Feb 07th and I was told that I was accepted on the phone. then I received a letter saying that they had not made a final decision on my case. I called them and they told me that is because they already had the class full but I was a good candidate so they will wait to give me the next open spot. Why would they keep interviewing after such

Actually, I interviewed on Feb 19 and was accepted.

When I interviewed, they said that the class was 80% full. I think PCOM has roughly 270 students so that's 54 seats remaining at the time. I'm sure that, as of now, good number of seats are filled up.

It sounds like you are on the waitlist. If that's the case, don't lose hope because more seats will open up after Apr 15 which is when the second deadline for 2000 deposit is due.

When I interviewed, they said that the class was 80% full. I think PCOM has roughly 270 students so that's 54 seats remaining at the time. I'm sure that, as of now, good number of seats are filled up.

It sounds like you are on the waitlist. If that's the case, don't lose hope because more seats will open up after Apr 15 which is when the second deadline for 2000 deposit is due.

Never mind. I posted on the wrong site. I did interview in Atlanta not philadelphia

Feb 10th interview and accepted February 26th (exact day that I had my last interview...). LOL

Anyone with the letter to delay a decision till April 15th hear anything lately? And any consensus on what this letter actually means? (acceptance v. waitlist -or- waitlist v. rejection)

This wait is driving me insane. I sent in a letter of intent and an updated transcript with fall semester grades.... is there anything else I can do??? PCOM is my first choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone with the letter to delay a decision till April 15th hear anything lately? And any consensus on what this letter actually means? (acceptance v. waitlist -or- waitlist v. rejection)

This wait is driving me insane. I sent in a letter of intent and an updated transcript with fall semester grades.... is there anything else I can do??? PCOM is my first choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain! I hate waiting; it is the worst part of this whole process. I think that ultimately we will be accepted or waitlisted. Why would they want a second look at our apps if they were just going to reject us? So I am pretty sure its acceptance v. waitlist. Hopefully, it is acceptance because I am not ready to wait all summer, or worse, take a full year off.

I got the same letter as well. I called the admissions office yesterday and they said that it was not a rejection or a wait list. I even asked if the April 15th date had anything to do with the $2,000 deposit that was due. That if more people don't give the deposit, the more spots will open for people who got this letter and the admission officer said no. She said it was it was exactly what it said. They just want to interview everyone before deciding.

So there we have it...all we can do is wait

I got the same letter as well. I called the admissions office yesterday and they said that it was not a rejection or a wait list. I even asked if the April 15th date had anything to do with the $2,000 deposit that was due. That if more people don't give the deposit, the more spots will open for people who got this letter and the admission officer said no. She said it was it was exactly what it said. They just want to interview everyone before deciding.

So there we have it...all we can do is wait

so it could be anything??? but some people have been rejected around the same time we got these letters right? so technically if they hated us that badly they would have flat out rejected us? here's to hoping...

it's days like this that i drive myself insane thinking of possibilities.

come on pcom, show me some love! :xf: :xf: :xf:

so it could be anything??? but some people have been rejected around the same time we got these letters right? so technically if they hated us that badly they would have flat out rejected us? here's to hoping...

Yeah, I do know at least one person in my interview group (last week of Feb.) got an outright rejection. Course I also know some have gotten accepted too.

for everyone in the same boat as me who received the "delayed decision until April 15" aka more painful waiting :( A useful piece of info I just found out and not sure if its posted here already is that if were accepted close to April 15, the $2000 deposit due on that date would be moved back accordingly.

So I've had my application completed since november and I have yet to hear from them. All they ever keep telling me is that my application is complete. DUH! i know that!! I've been accepted into two other schools but this is my number one choice and i have yet to hear anything from them. My friend sent in her application in January and already got an interview call. I mean wth??? does anyone know when they stop sending out invitations for interviews??? I hate not hearing anything from them.