PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got my PCOM rejection. What a shocker.

Sorry to hear that man, at least now you get to look nice in a tie every day :)

Best of luck to you at LECOM this coming year!

Members don't see this ad.

I truly apologize if this has been covered, but I tried a search and it didnt come out with too much info, but is there a minimum requirement for laptop size/capabilities? There's nothing against Macs at PCOM right?
Thank you.

I've never seen a restriction on laptop size! Does anyone know of a school that restricts the bulkiness of one's laptop?

If you look in the folder that was mailed to you, you will see there is no requirement for a laptop. So, you can get any laptop you want

Having a Mac-based laptop will not restrict you at PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never seen a restriction on laptop size! Does anyone know of a school that restricts the bulkiness of one's laptop?

If you look in the folder that was mailed to you, you will see there is no requirement for a laptop. So, you can get any laptop you want

Having a Mac-based laptop will not restrict you at PCOM.

I didnt mean screen size, I meant hard drive/memory size. I'm not really a computer person.

Thinking about getting a new Mac myself. Either the new the Macbook Air or the 13" Macbook Pro.

Anyone who sat in a lecture during interviews know if they have power outlets on the desks of the big lecture hall? I was one of the last people to be interviewed so I didn't get a chance to sit in on a class. I was too nervous to leave the admissions office lol.

Thinking about getting a new Mac myself. Either the new the Macbook Air or the 13" Macbook Pro.

Anyone who sat in a lecture during interviews know if they have power outlets on the desks of the big lecture hall? I was one of the last people to be interviewed so I didn't get a chance to sit in on a class. I was too nervous to leave the admissions office lol.

13" MBP ftw. There are a TON of outlets in both lecture halls. There's also wifi, but it is painfully slow... I think they capped the wifi on purpose

Tough decision, but I just gave up my spot at PCOM. Good luck to all you waitlisters!

Tough decision, but I just gave up my spot at PCOM. Good luck to all you waitlisters!

Would you mind sharing your stats mmc386? Thanks!

~ An eager waitlisted student

Hey waitlisters for PCOM

Tough call as well for me, but I'm giving up my spot at PCOM.....good luck to you all!

Does anyone know what are the first year courses? Is there somewhere online to look at a syllabus?

Hey Everyone!!!!
I was wondering if there are any females out there wanting to share an apt? I need need an apt or a roomie ASAP! Please PM me if anything.

Anyone out there??? Or do you guys know of any apt complexes or anywhere close to the school & a good neighborhood where I can get a 1 BR thats not too expensive? I just got in and have so much to do :(

Members don't see this ad :)
There's Beekman to the West, Presidential to the East, Imperial to the Southeast, Iroquois to the West. These are all within walking distance, I'd say, except Imperial might be pushing it a little bit. Presidential and Beekman are about 900/month.

Hey, MsDO. Congrats on your acceptance! I was recently accepted to the Biomed program so I am also in a rush to find a roommate and housing. I would like to live within walking distance to campus. If you are still looking for a roommate, feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks and good luck!

Did anyone apply to PCOM without a physician LOR and get accepted? Does that ever happen?

Did anyone apply to PCOM without a physician LOR and get accepted? Does that ever happen?

I thought a physician LOR was required for most schools. And a DO LOR is optional in most DO schools but very highly recommended.

I recommend you get some shadowing hours quick. It might hurt you a lot by not having a physician LOR at all. Even better, shadow a DO.

Ok, so I'm going to a 1st year at PCOM in a couple of weeks. Just think of it this way. Most of the students that are applying to PCOM will most likely have DO LOR. So imagine your application without one. Although it says its recommended and if you really want to get into PCOM, I wouldn't cut corners. Even for osteopathic schools, the stakes can be competitive. Good luck.

i needed a DO LOR for LECOM and got one from a PCOM grad a long time after applying to PCOM. Stupidly I didn't turn it in for PCOM. Yes, very stupid, but I did still get in. In other news, does this whole SPOM thing scare anybody else? gross anatomy, histo, dev bio..we get one grade for all these combined? is that right? i guess it could be a good thing, we will have to see:laugh:

i needed a DO LOR for LECOM and got one from a PCOM grad a long time after applying to PCOM. Stupidly I didn't turn it in for PCOM. Yes, very stupid, but I did still get in. In other news, does this whole SPOM thing scare anybody else? gross anatomy, histo, dev bio..we get one grade for all these combined? is that right? i guess it could be a good thing, we will have to see:laugh:
I don't completely understand it, and I haven't read Blackboard thoroughly. I'm hoping orientation goes into detail.

In other news, does this whole SPOM thing scare anybody else? gross anatomy, histo, dev bio..we get one grade for all these combined? is that right? i guess it could be a good thing, we will have to see

It is a good thing indeed. Your strengths will help compensate your weaknesses and as such your final grade will benefit.

Does anyone know of any overseas opportunities at PCOM during summer breaks and such? I have been going through school website without any luck.

Does anyone know of any overseas opportunities at PCOM during summer breaks and such? I have been going through school website without any luck.

Yeah, there's a few, I remember some of my classmates going to Asia and central america. Contact the school and ask to be put in contact with some student organization members who can guide you further.

Best wishes!

I posted this on this current year's PCOM thread, but figured the people from here would be better equipped to answer this question. Does anyone have the details for PCOM's immunization requirements? The other school I was accepted at wanted a Hep B titer six months after the third shot or we'd have to do the cycle again, and I wanted to know if this was the case at PCOM as well.

I know it is late in the game, I am wondering if there is any point in me applying for admissions to PCOM now. I could submit my AACOMAS tomorrow and would get the secondary done fast. I have a 3.25 in chemistry (science 3.2) and a 29 MCAT 8V,10P,11B and I will finish a science Ph.D. in may. I have letters from 2-Ph.D.s and 1 MD-Ph.D. No DO letter. I have tons of ECs in medicine and outside.
I would appreciate any ideas on applying for this cycle or waiting

Hi GUYS!!

I just got accepted into PCOM and I am so excited!! i had my interview 11/19 and the letter was dated 12/10. I am like 95% sure i am going here just got to do a little more research..Hope i get to meet you guys!! :laugh:

Hi GUYS!!

I just got accepted into PCOM and I am so excited!! i had my interview 11/19 and the letter was dated 12/10. I am like 95% sure i am going here just got to do a little more research..Hope i get to meet you guys!! :laugh:

A pre-dental student got accepted to a medical school? In a thread that's a year old? I smell a troll.

Sorry i havent updated my profile and i thought it was the thread for this year.. new to this

What is the current approximate turn around time between submitting a secondary to PCOM and hearing back about a potential interview?

Thanks

I submitted late (early January) and still haven't heard back from them...are they full and just waitlisting now? How long did most of you wait to hear back about an interview? Were they good at letting you know if they had decided not to interview or did they just ignore you if you were rejected? thank :)

I submitted late (early January) and still haven't heard back from them...are they full and just waitlisting now? How long did most of you wait to hear back about an interview? Were they good at letting you know if they had decided not to interview or did they just ignore you if you were rejected? thank :)
I was complete in early december and havent heard back yet.

how long were your responses to the questions:

Please attach a breif statement indicating why you wish to attend PCOM and to become an osteopathic physician.

What health care related experiences do you have?

your help would be appreciated ! thank you !