This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student2471

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was invited to PCOM to take part in their DO/PhD interview. This seems like a really exciting opportunity. However, there's some questions I have that I'm not able to find online. Hoping to get insight from anyone else who has good knowledge about this program!

1. How does tuition work for this program? I'm aware this is non-MSTP, so I'm wondering what PCOM covers. It isn't really stated on their website.
2. Besides the opportunity to be in academia and perform substantial research, what benefits can this PhD provide for me (greater advantage in residency, higher chance of obtaining grants, etc.?)
3. Can anyone comment on the reputation of the partner school, USciences?

Any info besides the above helps! Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I was invited to PCOM to take part in their DO/PhD interview. This seems like a really exciting opportunity. However, there's some questions I have that I'm not able to find online. Hoping to get insight from anyone else who has good knowledge about this program!

1. How does tuition work for this program? I'm aware this is non-MSTP, so I'm wondering what PCOM covers. It isn't really stated on their website.
2. Besides the opportunity to be in academia and perform substantial research, what benefits can this PhD provide for me (greater advantage in residency, higher chance of obtaining grants, etc.?)
3. Can anyone comment on the reputation of the partner school, USciences?

Any info besides the above helps! Thanks everyone

1. Not sure exactly but if it's anything like MSUCOMs DO/PhD program, it's a percentage of your tuition/R&B that is covered during your medical school years and then the PhD is fully covered. I would ask their program directly to see what this is because it's a very important aspect of your decision.

2. A PhD can assist you in entering a Physician Scientist Training track that are usually funded by a T32 research training grant and many (if not all, I'm not so sure) pipeline you into a fellowship training program upon acceptance into this track (meaning you don't need to reapply for fellowship). There are MDs without a PhD in these tracks but a lower percentage. Is the formal training in the PhD beneficial to your career? Maybe. Depends on what you're looking for in your career. The prospects of having split time between clinical and research (meaning running a lab) is very low with the extreme competition in funding.

3. I'm fairly certain that it's a decent program but among the other medical research institutions such as UPenn and Penn State in the area I don't think it carries a strong reputation by any means.

Reactions: 1 users
AlteredScale sums it up well. If you foresee a career as a research scientist, it’s a great path. The faculty are very open and always happy to speak to prospective students. If you can, try and arrange an appointment to speak with some of them.