This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student2471

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was invited to PCOM to take part in their DO/PhD interview. This seems like a really exciting opportunity. However, there's some questions I have that I'm not able to find online. Hoping to get insight from any DO/PhD or DO students at PCOM, or anyone else who has good knowledge about this program!

1. How does tuition work for this program? I'm aware this is non-MSTP, so I'm wondering what PCOM covers. It isn't really stated on their website.
2. Besides the opportunity to be in academia and perform substantial research, what benefits can this PhD provide for me (greater advantage in residency, higher chance of obtaining grants, etc.?)
3. Can anyone comment on the reputation of the partner school, USciences?

Any other info besides the above helps! Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I looked into this when I was applying 4 years years ago. I think the program is a waste.

1. Tuition works that you pay your first 2 years. Every year of the PhD and the last 2 years of your DO is covered. At the end of the day those 5+ years of your PhD will accrue interest from loans during your first 2 years (assuming you get any loans), so it will end up costing either the same or more than just attending 4 years of DO.
2. PhD will not grant you a better chance for residency unless it's a basic science research focus program. Many students are still able to obtain research during medical school, mainly 1st vacation (basic science) and during 3rd year (more likely clinical). You might get some experience writing grants, but grants are given based on your previous work (see #3)
3. USciences is an unknown campus to almost anyone in academia. I was working at a major academic center before entering medical school and nobody had heard about this place. The chances to be involved in some groundbreaking research are minimal at best. Many academic centers hire based on your accomplishments in research and the name of the institution you come from. Research academia is very driven by elitism. You probably would end up at a state school with no medical school or teaching at a DO school where at best you can find low level postdocs from China/India/etc. since most American postdocs can easily find a job at a real university.

I would recommend doing DO then research focused residency and then a research focused fellowship. At the end of this road you can get a job in academia and will likely qualify for the 10-year PSLF (loan forgiveness).

A PhD from an unknown institution is effectively useless in academia