PCOM Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicknack11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'll be starting PCOM next August and of course my thoughts now turn to financial aid. The PCOM web site says PCOM requires all of my parents' financial aid information on the FAFSA as well as their tax records ( and of course mine). Is this a normal requirement for all medical/osteopathic schools? I thought being over 21 and going to a professional school makes me independent. Also does the finacial ability of my parents mean that PCOM could give me LESS Stafford loans and other aid than I would otherwise be entitled to as an independent?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by nicknack11:
•... Is this a normal requirement for all medical/osteopathic schools?...Also does the finacial ability of my parents mean that PCOM could give me LESS Stafford loans and other aid than I would otherwise be entitled to as an independent?•••

Basically yes and yes. Most medical schools require parental financial information when applying for financial aid. Some schools, but not many, waive the parental-income if you are over 30 and have been financially independent for years. However, I believe most schools only absolutely require parental financial data if you are wishing to be eligible for institute-governed aid (ie scholarships etc) of which you may find very few. If all you want to apply for is governement loans I believe you can omit the parental information. Depending on your eligibility for institute-governed aid you may wish to do this; you should discuss this with PCOMs financial aid office.

good luck

onwis

Nick,

I'm an M1 at PCOM and I never submitted my parental information when I applied for aid last year. As the other poster said, you only need to submit your parent's financials if you want to eligible for PCOM-generated FA (i.e. grants, scholarships, and some subsidized loans).

Either way, you'll be sure to get enough $$ for school. PCOM would never NOT allow a student to pay tuition (they love our money).

Take care, email me if you want more details.