PCOM-Ga Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey, would you submit your aacomas asap too eventhough you haven't taken the mcat...im taking it in a few weeks...and didnt know if pcom-ga pre-screen or anything before they send secondaries

Yes, submit your AACOMAS application ASAP. Presuming that you will take the MCAT soon, your application will be complete, verified and ready to be sent to the schools as soon as your MCAT score is received.

My belief is that 1/3 of the applicant pool gets 2/3 of the available seats because they applied early. The 2/3 of the applicant pool who are not complete until December or later are competing for the 1/3 of the seats unfilled. Your odds of getting accepted increase if you apply early and are complete early.

There is no "prescreen" because you get no secondary until PCOM receives your application from AACOMAS. That won't happen unless and until you have an MCAT score. As soon as PCOM gets your primary application from AACOMAS you get the secondary application. Turn it around as soon as you can. Make sure that you communicate with the schools. Do not assume that they have everything (letters for example) by verifying. One thing missing and you don't even get looked out.

It amazes me to talk to Admission people who tell me that many applicants think that their application is complete and something is missing (or misplaced) and they never hear a work and worse never follow up. You have got to proactive and "own" the procress. After all it is YOUR application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For this campus of PCOM, does admissions require a committee or dean's letter? If I am applying to both campus, will i be required to send it to both campuses? What are the other options available if a committee letter is unable to be obtained?

Also, those of you who already go here or know of the area in which this campus is located, what is it like? Small town, suburbs, etc?

The area is a suburb of Atlanta. It has everything a large town has.

Haven't seen you posting much around here- figured it was time to wish you good luck in school! I'm sure you are just as excited as I am to get started after all that work last year during the application cycle! :)

Blessings to you Grace. Good luck in medical school. Identification badges and photos are on August 10th (less than two weeks - WOW!). Orientation starts August 11th and classes begin on August 16th. The eight months since acceptance has flown by. I hope medical school flies as fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot comment at all on the actual school experience yet... however, I can comment on the application process. This is how I handled everything.

1. Every Single Document that I had to send by snail mail got photocopied and put into a folder. When I mailed it, I got a tracking number and put that into the folder. That way, when your document is not noted as being on file, you can reference the shipped and delivered date for them. I sent all items separately with individual tracking #s. I also printed any emails and put them into the same folder.

2. Any document that didn't show up in the system after 1 month, I sent an email requesting confirmation of receipt. I included my full name and AACOMAS ID in the heading/subject line of all of my letters. After I was given an ID number, I included that information as well.

3. USE Interfolio for everything. You get dates received, processed and transmitted/mailed. I waited until ALL of my letters were in (D.O., personal and school advisory board), and sent them all at once. Two weeks after they were marked as received, I asked for confirmation via email. For PCOM-GA, something, I don't remember what, was lost, and I called the school, then Interfolio. Interfolio sent a copy electronically that day and then marked as received the next day because they were looking for it.

Since I applied to 6 schools and wanted to use different LORs and secondary essays and whatnot, I made a folder for each school and marked the original date sent for each document to each school on the inside of the folder, so if anything didn't show up, I could follow up on it. After a school rejected me, I took pleasure in shredding the contents of the folder. After I got accepted, I shredded the one I withdrew from, because I like shredding things...
Very nice info. thanks

Has anyone received some sort of confirmation email, telling you that they received your application?

I'm pretty sure (very sure actually, since I paid the extra cash for express mailing) that my application arrived at PCOM at the least a few days ago.

Does PCOM-GA grant deferrals for one year for very justifiable reasons? Does PCOM-philly? Or are they the only two DO schools that have very strict policies about this regardless of your reasons?

Blessings to you Grace. Good luck in medical school. Identification badges and photos are on August 10th (less than two weeks - WOW!). Orientation starts August 11th and classes begin on August 16th. The eight months since acceptance has flown by. I hope medical school flies as fast.
We already started! 3.5 days of orientation this week, including a speed reading course, and we had our first (although it very brief) cadaver lab today! Seems so surreal still. I keep thinking I'll wake up and find it is all a dream! Haha and now that people at school are recognizing me as "grace euphoria" i'm really realizing how much I messed up by making that my user id on here because my name is NOT actually grace- it was more a reference to a spiritual grace :) Enjoy your last few days of freedom!! Spent every minute with friends and family- I'm already seeing the negative impact of it on relationships!

I think it cannot be stressed enough that you must own this process and be proactive about your paperwork. Just because Interfolio says they sent your references does not mean someone at PCOM actually added to your file. You have to check both ends and make sure the train is slogging along.

Don't worry about being a pest--not only is Trena wonderful, but she's been through everything many times over. I can almost guarantee you will not be the most annoying person she's ever had to deal with (that distinction probably belongs to me :) ).

You definitely have a great GPA and MCAT. In their secondary, if I were you, I'd definitely hit this question hard (if it's the same as last year):

1.) Please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Georgia Campus – Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

As far as out of state, I know they try to stay in the area, but I bet if you're compelling enough with your essay/reasons, you'll have a better shot

Is this their only essay? Thanks!

I think it cannot be stressed enough that you must own this process and be proactive about your paperwork. Just because Interfolio says they sent your references does not mean someone at PCOM actually added to your file. You have to check both ends and make sure the train is slogging along.

Don't worry about being a pest--not only is Trena wonderful, but she's been through everything many times over. I can almost guarantee you will not be the most annoying person she's ever had to deal with (that distinction probably belongs to me :) ).

They are going paperless and they haven't gotten the scanning working yet so they haven't even begun processing applications they have yet. I called because I wanted to make sure my Dean's letter was there but they have no idea, sounds like they have a giant pile of papers currently that are not exactly organized waiting to be scanned. Said they aren't even putting things together by name until they scan it and place it in your file.

They are going paperless and they haven't gotten the scanning working yet so they haven't even begun processing applications they have yet. I called because I wanted to make sure my Dean's letter was there but they have no idea, sounds like they have a giant pile of papers currently that are not exactly organized waiting to be scanned. Said they aren't even putting things together by name until they scan it and place it in your file.

well thats interesting and scary....last year they "lost" my entire secondary app with my money order, however according to the post office they had already cashed it so I couldn't get my money back.. I made sure I paid everything with check after that lol

Members don't see this ad :)
well thats interesting and scary....last year they "lost" my entire secondary app with my money order, however according to the post office they had already cashed it so I couldn't get my money back.. I made sure I paid everything with check after that lol

I pay everything with check for sure :laugh: Much safer that way. I'm definitely skeptical about this new PCOM system though. We'll see how that works out.

Best wishes to the Class of 2015 applicants.

The Class of 2014 has started. We just finished three days of orientation. Tomorrow we have our first real classes. We have two hours of OMM, three hours of anatomy lecture and three hours of anatomy lab on the first day.

One interesting event: one of our accepted students dropped out the Friday before orientation. By Wednesday when orientation began, he had been replaced by another person from the wait list. There are 86 of us. So, the wait list is real and people on it do get into medical school.

I hope that all of you hopefuls apply early and get accepted early so that the insufferable wait is over soon.

If I can help you in answering your questions about admission at GA PCOM, post them here or send a PM. We will be very busy but will try to respond as soon as we can catch our breath.

PCOM GA exceeded my expectations - it has turned out to be a great school.

Last edited:
Anyone else missing LOR's on their status checking website? I am complete at all other schools, but it shows that PCOM-GA has not received my committee letter
102.gif

Anyone else missing LOR's on their status checking website? I am complete at all other schools, but it shows that PCOM-GA has not received my committee letter
102.gif

Haven't received my either, I wouldn't worry about it yet. It looks like they haven't even started sending interview invites.

Just FYI, don't know how yours were sent... But I sent my letters via Interfolio on Thursday last week and they showed up yesterday as Additional Info Received, and today they were marked in the Requirements section for both PCOM and GA-PCOM. So if you used Interfolio and they aren't there yet, maybe you should call.

Haven't received my either, I wouldn't worry about it yet. It looks like they haven't even started sending interview invites.

Yeah I'm not all that worried...just getting a little antsy lol. The lack of things to keep me busy is starting to get to me haha.

Just FYI, don't know how yours were sent... But I sent my letters via Interfolio on Thursday last week and they showed up yesterday as Additional Info Received, and today they were marked in the Requirements section for both PCOM and GA-PCOM. So if you used Interfolio and they aren't there yet, maybe you should call.

Thanks for the heads up. Actually I sent my DO letter via Interfolio and it was received a while back. It's just my committee letter that was sent with VirtualEvals that hasn't shown up.

I still have plenty of time before I'll get concerned.

I am kind of concerned because i do not have a commettee letter. In my school there is a deadline that you have to meet in order for them to write a letter, however I do have LORs from my professors...would they accept them?

I called to ask about this (I graduated undergrad in '98) and you MUST have a letter from the Dean's Office if you don't have a committee letter. And, definitely send LORs from a science professor or two.

Last edited:
Actually I sent my DO letter via Interfolio and it was received a while back. It's just my committee letter that was sent with VirtualEvals that hasn't shown up.

I think there's been issues with VE or something. They haven't gotten both of my letters, just the committee letter and my DO letter is missing, even though my advisor said he uploaded both.

I don't know what's going on, but it's a little frustrating...

This is one of the few schools who have not yet started sending the interview invites

I just got an interview invite via email a little while ago. It was for oct 4th, but I had to reschedule for the 11th. They give them out every monday and tuesday from oct 4th on.

I just got an interview invite via email a little while ago. It was for oct 4th, but I had to reschedule for the 11th. They give them out every monday and tuesday from oct 4th on.

You are the 1st one on SDN.
Congrats

congrats!!! i hope i get one too. anyone knows PCOM-GA has preference for Georgia instate?

they have a preference for the appalachian region, i believe.

congrats!!! i hope i get one too. anyone knows PCOM-GA has preference for Georgia instate?
I too hope to get one.
I have already started checkcing emials very 15 minutes.

Thank you! I hope you hear soon too. I'm a Georgia resident. I applied to the other campus as well and didn't get an interview there yet so maybe it does have to do with your region? I'm not too sure.

When were you complete?

I feel like I ask this question way too much :laugh:

Congrats on the interview!

Is anyone else still missing lor's on the status check website?

I dont think they have an official policy on accepting people from any region but the President of the college was quoted in the local paper saying all the students in this years 1st years class were from the south. I know for a fact that this isnt true but most people are from the southern states so it probably cant help to be from the south, not just GA.

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
4170 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131

Is that the correct address to send our secondaries for both PCOM and PCOM-GA?

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
4170 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131

Is that the correct address to send our secondaries for both PCOM and PCOM-GA?

Yes, everything gets sent to Philadelphia, regardless of which campus you're applying to.

Good luck to you!

October 4th is the first day for interviews. October 11th is not too far behind. You should know the Adcom's decision within a couple of weeks thereafter.

Good luck!

I am a first year D.O. student at GA PCOM. The school has exceeded my every expectation. The pace of instruction is rapid. The faculty and staff do everything they can to help us get through the program. We work hard. GA PCOM was the right choice for me.

Only sa22 got interview invite till now on SDN. I think they are giving to GA residents first.

INTERVIEW!!!!

GA represent! :laugh:

October 4 is the interview date.

It's funny because I had called less than an hour before to tell them to expect another letter and they told me not to worry, I wouldn't be reviewed for another week or so.

YAY!

Congrats, you guys!

To PCOM-GA Admissions: Alabamians next, please! :laugh:

I just got an invite for an interview on October 4th... so I'll see you all there.

Does anyone know how long the day is expected to last? I have to work that evening :(.

I propose that those of you with invites post your stats, state of residency, and completion date. I understand if you don't want to share your stats, but the other two would help the rest of us obsess less, maybe. Lol.

They have my mcat date wrong on my online status thing. Should I call to make sure they have the correct scores? Maybe email instead.

i want one 2!!!!

I just got an invite for an interview on October 4th... so I'll see you all there.

Does anyone know how long the day is expected to last? I have to work that evening :(.

Congrats. total 3 by now.
are you all from GA?

I propose that those of you with invites post your stats, state of residency, and completion date. I understand if you don't want to share your stats, but the other two would help the rest of us obsess less, maybe. Lol.

They have my mcat date wrong on my online status thing. Should I call to make sure they have the correct scores? Maybe email instead.
+1.

Try email and then call.

From what I understand the MCAT date is wrong on everyone's. I took it 5/21 and it's listed as 5/1. I think it's just the first date of the month that everyone took it. I wouldn't worry.

As for stats, details are in my mdapps, but cGPA 3.16, sGPA 3.78, MCAT 26M, GA Resident, Non-trad, complete 8/20

if you want my stats, etc you can PM me.