PCOM-Ga Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm non-trad, GA resident, 28R, both GPAs 3.7ish (I'm actually not sure where I'm supposed to see how AACOMAS calculated my GPA. Is it somewhere on the application site? Any help would be greatly appreciated.):) Oh, and I was complete 11/7... which makes me think they're filtering by state b/c that was super-fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your GPA's are on the PDF that AACOMAS sends to the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm non-trad, GA resident, 28R, both GPAs 3.7ish (I'm actually not sure where I'm supposed to see how AACOMAS calculated my GPA. Is it somewhere on the application site? Any help would be greatly appreciated.):) Oh, and I was complete 11/7... which makes me think they're filtering by state b/c that was super-fast.

thanks for sharing. go to the college pafe in aacomas and then click on the pdf file.
From what I understand the MCAT date is wrong on everyone's. I took it 5/21 and it's listed as 5/1. I think it's just the first date of the month that everyone took it. I wouldn't worry.

As for stats, details are in my mdapps, but cGPA 3.16, sGPA 3.78, MCAT 26M, GA Resident, Non-trad, complete 8/20
all the best bigboost

Congrats, you guys!

To PCOM-GA Admissions: Alabamians next, please! :laugh:

We have a good number of students from Alabama, maybe 15% students are from AL for class of 14. I'm first year student from AL. Anyway, I just wanted to say if you're from south and you've got interview invitation you have a decent chance to accepted in GA-PCOM. Although it's been around few years it's a pretty good med school.

PCOM Georgia has started including Florida. I just received my interview invite.

Congratulations. Hopefully I will hear something soon. This is stressful.

When were you guys complete? I was complete 8/26. Just trying to gauge how soon I will receive my thin envelope to match the one I got from lecom-b.

PCOM Georgia has started including Florida. I just received my interview invite.

TEXAS TOO!

Got my invite this morning for 10/19!:thumbup::thumbup: 3.37cGPA, 3.67sGPA, 30M, pretty traditional student but reapplicant, complete 09/08. First invite EVER! SO EXCITED!

TEXAS TOO!

Got my invite this morning for 10/19!:thumbup::thumbup: 3.37cGPA, 3.67sGPA, 30M, pretty traditional student but reapplicant, complete 09/08. First invite EVER! SO EXCITED!
all the best

Hey guys,

I have an interview scheduled for Oct 4 but something came up and I won't be able to make it on that date anymore. I know it's short notice but I was wondering if anyone had an Oct 11th or 12th interview they'd like to swap with me. Let me know if you've got something and I'll call the admissions office to see if we can trade.

toast

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, they didn't contact me until they sent the request for interview a week and half ago. I also sent my application in during the summer. They did let me know which LORs they were still waiting on after I e-mailed them and asked, which was nice. My advice: if you have a question for them just e-mail them and they will get back to you in a few days.

Anyone know about how many in-state applicants they interview and accept? Or how long they take to get back to you once you interview?

Anyone know about how many in-state applicants they interview and accept? Or how long they take to get back to you once you interview?
I can't give you any concrete stats, but it feels like at least half of our class is from Georgia, with the other half being from states in the southeast.

As for how long it takes them to get back to you, it really just depends on how generous the admissions committee is feeling when they get together. I know in the 2010 thread someone interviewed on a Tuesday and found out Thursday they were accepted, whereas others had to wait a while--like a few months.

I can't give you any concrete stats, but it feels like at least half of our class is from Georgia, with the other half being from states in the southeast.

As for how long it takes them to get back to you, it really just depends on how generous the admissions committee is feeling when they get together. I know in the 2010 thread someone interviewed on a Tuesday and found out Thursday they were accepted, whereas others had to wait a while--like a few months.

Agree with the first part, though there are people in our class from outside the southeast.

As for admissions getting back to you...I think most people found out within a week or so from Trena if they were accepted, those on hold or waitlisted may have had to wait the few months. I heard within a week

Thanks guys. Can you comment on where rotations are done? Isn't there also a rural rotation?

Hey, guys. Interviewing here next Tuesday (10/5). Hope to see some SDNers there!

Thanks guys. Can you comment on where rotations are done? Isn't there also a rural rotation?

You will get a pamphlet with all this info on your interview day. There are a several options all over the state of GA and in some surrounding states for rotations...some are rural although I dont think a rural rotation is required.

hey guys! hope all is well with everyone! Just a quick question... My file was complete on 9/16 and I haven't heard anything since.. not an interview invite or anything.. how long did it take for you to be contacted regarding the next step in the application process? should I be worried yet?

Anyone interviewing on Oct.12? I'm trying to figure out a ride from the Atlanta airport. Perhaps we could car-pool!

Interview scheduled for 10/18!! Has anybody interviewed yet that can give me an idea of what it's like?

Btw, I'm a FL resident, 30P, 3.51.

Interview scheduled for 10/18!! Has anybody interviewed yet that can give me an idea of what it's like?

Btw, I'm a FL resident, 30P, 3.51.

Show up a few minutes early and sign in with security. You will get fed and meet the other applicants. You will be given a tour of the school and spend time with some upperclass students and be able to ask questions you might not want to ask the interviewers.

The interview will follow this and be anywhere from 20 minutes to perhaps longer. The interviews are open file and one-on-one. Relax, be yourself and be honest and candid.

The Admissions Committee meets every couple of weeks and when a decision is reached you will be notifed by mail. PCOM GA was the right choice for me. I'm, sure that it will be for you as well.

Good luck.

I interviewed yesterday.

There were 4 of us in the morning session. We started with Panera Bread breakfast (bagels, pastries, coffee, OJ) and then a tour given by a BioMed student at 9 (she was super nice). Interviews started at 10. They do not go by the order that you're given in the e-mail, just FYI. So if your e-mail says your interview is at 10, you could possibly go last. And vice versa, the person whose e-mail said 11:45, went first. Each of us interviewed with the same two people. It's you and the two interviewers, not a group interview. I hear the afternoon group had different interviewers. One person's interview was 15 minutes, another's 20, other's 30. But they cut the interview off at 30 minutes, so it won't be longer.

I can say that the two professors I interviewed with were the nicest, most gracious interviewers I've had to date. The interview was incredibly laid back and conversational. There were no tricky questions or hard healthcare questions and they didn't ever try to trip you up...it was a very pleasant experience. The other candidates said the same thing. The way they treated the interview really sold the school to me. If all the professors are as nice as these two were in the interview, then GA-PCOM is definitely a place I'd like to go to med school. I really got the impression of the professors being there for the students and only wanting to help and see them succeed. They didn't treat the interview like a mind game like the other schools I've interviewed at, and so that really made me like GA-PCOM sooo much more. I definitely want to go to GA-PCOM. It's my home state and right next to family, so hopefully it works out.

On top of that, Trena and the rest of the admissions staff were super nice. They kept checking in on us and making sure we were all happy and kept asking if we had questions. Trena said accept/reject/waitlist/hold letters will go out either next Monday/Tuesday or the Monday/Tuesday after that.

And after your interview is done, you're free to go :)

And the big news that none of the interviewees knew - The 2015 class has been increased to 130 (135?) students! Yay, better chance to get in :laugh:

I interviewed yesterday.

There were 4 of us in the morning session. We started with Panera Bread breakfast (bagels, pastries, coffee, OJ) and then a tour given by a BioMed student at 9 (she was super nice). Interviews started at 10. They do not go by the order that you're given in the e-mail, just FYI. So if your e-mail says your interview is at 10, you could possibly go last. And vice versa, the person whose e-mail said 11:45, went first. Each of us interviewed with the same two people. It's you and the two interviewers, not a group interview. I hear the afternoon group had different interviewers. One person's interview was 15 minutes, another's 20, other's 30. But they cut the interview off at 30 minutes, so it won't be longer.

I can say that the two professors I interviewed with were the nicest, most gracious interviewers I've had to date. The interview was incredibly laid back and conversational. There were no tricky questions or hard healthcare questions and they didn't ever try to trip you up...it was a very pleasant experience. The other candidates said the same thing. The way they treated the interview really sold the school to me. If all the professors are as nice as these two were in the interview, then GA-PCOM is definitely a place I'd like to go to med school. I really got the impression of the professors being there for the students and only wanting to help and see them succeed. They didn't treat the interview like a mind game like the other schools I've interviewed at, and so that really made me like GA-PCOM sooo much more. I definitely want to go to GA-PCOM. It's my home state and right next to family, so hopefully it works out.

On top of that, Trena and the rest of the admissions staff were super nice. They kept checking in on us and making sure we were all happy and kept asking if we had questions. Trena said accept/reject/waitlist/hold letters will go out either next Monday/Tuesday or the Monday/Tuesday after that.

And the big news that none of the interviewees knew - The 2015 class has been increased to 130 (135?) students! Yay, better chance to get in :laugh:

I am glad that you had a great interview. Hopefully, you will get some positive news!

Thanks for the news on the increase of the class size! :thumbup: That is good news for those of us who have just submitted their secondary to PCOM-Ga.

We saw you guys today all dressed up for your interview. Trena showed you guys our classroom of first year students. We were on a ten minute break during our morning of histology lectures.

I echo the comments of the previous person who posted about the school. The professors go out of their way to help you succeed. The workload is overwhelming at times but nothing you can't handle. PCOM GA was the right school for me.

I wish you the best in seeking admission to PCOM GA. Your class size is expected to increase (the Class of 2014 has 88 or so members). Your class will be 50% larger.

Last edited:
I interviewed yesterday.

I was in this group and second everything here. I was extremely nervous since it was my first interview, but it was (almost too) laid back and informal. To my three colleagues from that morning, are you all sending thank-you notes to Dr. Jenney and Dr. Watson? If so, I wanted to make sure that Francis E. Jenney Jr., PhD and Gary H. Watson, PhD are their correct names. If no one is sure about this, I guess I'll call Trena and ask. Thanks, guys. I hope everyone in my group gets good news soon. :)

I was in this group and second everything here. I was extremely nervous since it was my first interview, but it was (almost too) laid back and informal. To my three colleagues from that morning, are you all sending thank-you notes to Dr. Jenney and Dr. Watson? If so, I wanted to make sure that Francis E. Jenney Jr., PhD and Gary H. Watson, PhD are their correct names. If no one is sure about this, I guess I'll call Trena and ask. Thanks, guys. I hope everyone in my group gets good news soon. :)

Thats right
http://www.pcom.edu/general_information/georgia/ga_faculty/ga_faculty.html

Yes, those names are correct - and I asked Trena, she said to either e-mail the thank yous to her or send them via mail to the admissions office and she will be sure that they get the notes. I e-mailed mine since I guess it's entirely possible that they meet this week since she said letters could go out Monday. Just wanted to make sure they got there in time.

Good luck!!

Did anyone else get an email saying to arrive at 1145? Doesn't that seem a bit late?

They have morning and afternoon interviews. Sounds like you're in the afternoon interview, so yep, arrive at 11:45. 4 people arrive at 8:45, 4 people arrive at 11:45

They have morning and afternoon interviews. Sounds like you're in the afternoon interview, so yep, arrive at 11:45. 4 people arrive at 8:45, 4 people arrive at 11:45

thanks! good luck to you!

Good luck to you as well :) If your group is the same, you should find out in a week or two by mail. I interviewed with Dr. Jenney and Dr. Watson - they were amazing. If you have them, you're in for a really nice experience at GA-PCOM. They'll be a big part of my reason to pick GA-PCOM :)

Good luck to you as well :) If your group is the same, you should find out in a week or two by mail. I interviewed with Dr. Jenney and Dr. Watson - they were amazing. If you have them, you're in for a really nice experience at GA-PCOM. They'll be a big part of my reason to pick GA-PCOM :)

You can call Trena to see if the committee has met yet and what their decision was. That's how I found out I was accepted, which in my case, was two days after my interview (talk about instant gratification!)

Good luck to you all! GA-PCOM is a great school! :thumbup:

You can call Trena to see if the committee has met yet and what their decision was. That's how I found out I was accepted, which in my case, was two days after my interview (talk about instant gratification!)

As a first year student at GA-PCOM, what do you think of it? Do you think the professors are available enough?

She said she's only in the office on Mondays and Tuesdays, so we'd have to catch her then. I think she told us not to call this year since they're down a person in the admissions office, but maybe I can think of something else to call for Monday and hope maybe she'd tell me :laugh:

As a first year student at GA-PCOM, what do you think of it? Do you think the professors are available enough?

The professors here are ALWAYS available to talk to. When my study group and I are in the library studying in the late afternoon and we come upon something we're confused about, we have always been able to stop by one of the professors' offices and talk to them about it (we even ran one of them down the hallway when he was right about to leave the building and he was still nice enough to answer our questions!).

The professors here really want you to succeed and are willing to help you in anyway they can to make sure you're fully prepared. It's only been a couple of months but I feel like I've gotten to know them very well, and vice versa.

I know this is the school for me. Everyone is very encouraging (students and professors alike), there's really not a competitive, cut throat atmosphere, everyone just wants to help each other out. I'm happy I ended up in a great school and wish you all the best. Whether it's GA-PCOM or a different school, just be sure that it's an institution that makes you fell welcomed and appreciated, because that's going to make the difference in the long run.

Good luck to you all! :luck:

hello everyone! Hope you all are getting great news following your interviews! :) i hate to be a bother but I was just wondering how long after your application was completed were you invited for an interview... I haven't heard anything and just didn't know if I should be worried? Thanks for your time!

hello everyone! Hope you all are getting great news following your interviews! :) i hate to be a bother but I was just wondering how long after your application was completed were you invited for an interview... I haven't heard anything and just didn't know if I should be worried? Thanks for your time!

About 3-4 weeks after being complete

How long was everyone's secondary essay??

Mine is about 3 paragraphs/almost a page and was wondering if it is too little or just right.

Thanks!

thank you very much for your response! i appreciate it! :)

To answer your question: From the time I received the secondary to the interview invitation was almost exactly a month. give or take a day or two. It was only a week after they received my payment and secondary that I got an interview. hope this helps. don't get your self down though the process goes until March.

I hope everyone else in my group gets a letter too! :)

I hope everyone else in my group gets a letter too! :)

Wow! Congrats! So you heard from them in almost a week? I interviewed yesterday morning. I hope i get the same news next wednesday!