PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing on the 5th. Looking forward to it.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone going to be here the 22nd? Any tips/advice? I've interviewed at ATSU-KCOM, but I am still super nervous bc I really want to go to here!

And I just got further notification that my wait list turned into a rejection. Oy vey.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's strange-- i've never heard of a waitlist turning into a rejection so quickly.

I was thinking that as well.
Sorry to hear that family. I truly am.

Thanks and yea, I was also a little surprised. Quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me if they were reading this board and decided to do me the favour when they read some of my posts about the fact I might have to delay anyway because of the friend. They do check the boards.

What is also weird to me is that it was dated Nov 24. Now I know I only got the letter today (Nov 20) when I checked the mail so it has probably been out there a few days, but I am pretty sure GA PCOM didn't invent time travel. So basically interview invite on a religious holiday, interview on a "gay" holiday, and rejection dated on a national holiday.

Ah well, at least this means I can remove this from my list of threads to regularly check on. ;)

Interviewed here for a second time after reapplying. Had a stellar interview, absolutely loved the campus. Just got my rejection letter.

Unreal.

Accepted! Got letter 6 days post interview. What an amazing feeling.:eek:

I hope everyone's application season is going well :thumbup:

I just withdrew my application, thus freeing up an interview slot on Dec 5th.

GL all :)

Thick letter in the mail for me today! Interviewed 11/15. See you all next fall!
cGPA: 3.2 (Graduated in 2002)
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: 26 (8,8,10)

I've read alot of posts on this particular thread about PCOM weeding out MCAT scores below 7 or 8. Do they typically do this AFTER you've sent in the secondary and they've cashed your check? I have a 4 in a section, BUT I did indicate on my primary that I'm retaking. I'm just wondering if I should bother sending in the secondary if they're going to weed me out without even reading it.

And I just got further notification that my wait list turned into a rejection. Oy vey.
Wow, that is strange. I'm sorry to hear that! I'm glad it came after you decided to explore other opportunities. I can't imagine what happened there, but I'm inclined to go with you about SDN...maybe they did see something on here? I know they look on here, because this site was referenced to me in an e-mail correspondence with the school earlier in the semester. Although, even saying that sounds a bit "conspiracy theorist" to me, but I can't think of what else it would be. I guess I shouldn't speculate when I have zero real information to go on. Either way, good luck with everything next year.
Interviewed here for a second time after reapplying. Had a stellar interview, absolutely loved the campus. Just got my rejection letter.

Unreal.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get into an awesome school somewhere else that is a great fit for you. Best of luck...this process can be so harsh. Keep your head up!
med school applications SUCK:(
Tru dat.
Accepted! Got letter 6 days post interview. What an amazing feeling.:eek:
CONGRATS! You're insanely lucky you didn't have to wait so long after the interview...that's the hardest part.

Thick letter in the mail for me today! Interviewed 11/15. See you all next fall!
cGPA: 3.2 (Graduated in 2002)
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: 26 (8,8,10)
Wow, Congrats! See you in the fall :) Don't forget to join the FB group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm mega glad I didn't have to wait very long. I got an interview invite to KYCOM for Dec. 3rd I really wanted to pass up if I could. So, the letter came in good time. 99.5% sure I will be attending GA-PCOM!

I've read alot of posts on this particular thread about PCOM weeding out MCAT scores below 7 or 8. Do they typically do this AFTER you've sent in the secondary and they've cashed your check? I have a 4 in a section, BUT I did indicate on my primary that I'm retaking. I'm just wondering if I should bother sending in the secondary if they're going to weed me out without even reading it.

A 7 or below on a section and they'll make you pack your bags to go out there twice, just to waitlist you the first time and reject you the second.

I had a 7 in one section and I got accepted a few weeks ago. I'm calling tomorrow to give up my slot though. Good luck with your apps! I really did like this school!

A 7 or below on a section and they'll make you pack your bags to go out there twice, just to waitlist you the first time and reject you the second.

Dude...Lighten up...

Dude...Lighten up...

He wasn't that far off base.

The 'consensus' if there is such as thing is if you have a sub-8 section, they interview and then put on the waitlist pending an updated MCAT. If you raise it up, you get in. If you don't you are out of luck.

There are always exceptions but PCOM is one of the schools that traditionally holds to the no-section-under-8 rule pretty tightly.

Dude...Lighten up...

not_sure_if_srs.jpg

He wasn't that far off base.

The 'consensus' if there is such as thing is if you have a sub-8 section, they interview and then put on the waitlist pending an updated MCAT. If you raise it up, you get in. If you don't you are out of luck.

There are always exceptions but PCOM is one of the schools that traditionally holds to the no-section-under-8 rule pretty tightly.

This seems to be the case at this school from what I've read...so much for thinking a second interview would be my acceptance to lose. Guess I'll be signing up for the january mcat while I wait on other schools

I applied and interviewed pretty late in the process last year (as in this calendar year) and had a 7 in once section (but a 12 and 10 I think in the others) and was wait listed. They've given me another interview this year and none of my many phone or email interactions with PCOM have lead me to believe that they are dealing with me simply to waste my (or their) time. Having not been accepted I can't say for sure, but if there is a 7s rule I can only guess that it is at least somewhat flexible or case-specific.

Last edited:
Just interviewed with Dr. Mitchell and we had a pleasant discussion. The tour guide, Georgia, was great too. I liked what I saw. Good luck everybody!

I am so impatient waiting to hear back from my 11/22 interview! I have been stalking the mail man. Post-interview waiting has definitely been the worst part of this process:scared: I guess I am looking at another week from what others have posted?

I am so impatient waiting to hear back from my 11/22 interview! I have been stalking the mail man. Post-interview waiting has definitely been the worst part of this process:scared: I guess I am looking at another week from what others have posted?

Depends on when adcomm meets. I got mine in less than a week while others got theres a little after three weeks. With the holidays coming up, you can expect them to meet soon I would assume. Just expect it to never come and it will arrive faster :bullcrap:

Did anyone use the same secondary essay as PCOM? I pretty much used the same one and now I'm a bit worried since they're both being sent to PCOM in Philly.

Did anyone use the same secondary essay as PCOM? I pretty much used the same one and now I'm a bit worried since they're both being sent to PCOM in Philly.

I used the same secondary essay. I interviewed early in Oct and was accepted, but haven't heard anything from the Philly campus.

Ugh. Could the days go by any slower?! Come on letter!

Has anyone who interview lately heard anything yet? Or called Trena?

I feel for you playing the waiting game. It's seriously torture. I don't have any news for you, but I did receive an e-mail recently regarding the pre-deposit. It might be that they are dragging their feet in order to know how many students are going to be dropping their seats. While waiting sucks, this might actually be a blessing in disguise...it would open up a lot more seats to offer positions for (depending on how many people decline their seat, of course). Good luck :) I hope you hear back soon.

I interviewed Monday and I'm pretty sure they said they still had spots open. Haven't heard anything yet but was told it would be a week or so, so I'm guessing they meet pretty soon. Perhaps trying to get a round out before the holidays.

Is PCOM-GA the same as PCOM-PA by not sending out rejections until the end of the cycle?

A small update: I just received an e-mail stating that the deposit that is due in mid April of $2000 has now been reduced to $1500! Yay :)

Do you guys think it would be inappropriate to call/email Trena to see when I may receive a letter from my 11/22 interview? I have one scheduled at WCU-COM Tuesday that I would love to cancel if I get good news!

Call them up and see what they say; in this situation a couple of minutes could potentially save you a couple of days. If it were simply a case of you being curiously impatient then that might be slightly more inappropriate (but still understandable).

aw yeahh, got a christmas card from pcom, lol anyone else get one?

Holy moly, just got my acceptance letter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited, this was my #1! Thank goodness I don't have to move to harrogate, tn haha! Interviewed 11/22

Found out over the weekend I got in. Might take a trip in a couple weeks to go look at places to live.

got my interview invite this morning for Feb 7th

does anyone know how full the class is right now and how many acceptances have been offered?

Interview invite! Was January 10th but had to change it to January 23rd. Can't wait to see what this school has to offer!

Do we get a stethoscope or any other medical equipment or do we have to buy it all?

Do we get a stethoscope or any other medical equipment or do we have to buy it all?
You have to buy required equipment on your own. A guy from WelchAllyn comes in to get orders from students. The stuff he has is pretty expensive....so unless your a military student, I recommend getting everything from other sources. The main things to get are stethoscope, otoscope, etc. There are a lot of other items on the required list that you'll never use. However, I recommend that you check with upperclassmen once you get on campus to see what they used. There is a new director for PCS this year and she's changing things a bit for the 1st years. So, they can probably give better advice on what to buy and what not to buy.

Does anyone know what the coverage must be for an outside health insurance plan to be approved in place of the student insurance through the school?? I am in a situation where I have to find new insurance quick and I need to see if Tricare is OK to enroll in. Thanks!

ill be driving in from chattanooga the morning of my interview. how far is pcom from ATL? hopefully, ill be early enough to beat the traffic.

ill be driving in from chattanooga the morning of my interview. how far is pcom from ATL? hopefully, ill be early enough to beat the traffic.

Suwanee is about 30 miles north of Atlanta.