PCOM...LECOM Florida.?? 76ers vs Beach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeChellD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to make my choice hur soon between these two schools. Just seeing if anyone out there had any info on these two schools that i might not have come across so far (positives n negatives) Both have their location advantages and both have their education advantages (PCOM...great school...great tradition..LECOM...brand new, new age gross anatomy lab and good teachers)........thoughts from current med school peeps at these schools (LECOM erie of course) and people planing on goin......give ya thoughts........goood looooooooooook!!....ONE

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

LECOM-Bradenton only offers the Problem Based Learning Pathway, while PCOM does not have this option. Pehaps that could be a deciding factor. Would you prefer to be in lecture all day? Or, would you rather meet three times a week, and study independently? Personally, the latter seems more challenging... but it depends on how you study.

-sandiflipflops

Jeah i was told all about LECOM florida being an all PBL branch...but i have heard PBL is a great route if you like free time and settin ya own schedule...but back to PCOM vs. LECOM florida....lets hear some voices

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM. No question.

Honda or Kia?

Sure Kia has a better warranty, but let them prove themselves.

Let the LECOM branch prove itself. Just like VCOM. Just like the future PCOM branch as well.

You have a chance to go to one of the top DO schools in the country and study medicine in a city that just breeds great doctors. Don't pass that up. 4 years from now you may be regretting it.

Kia??? I would hardly call a 95% pass rate among Lecom's PBL students second class.

Honestly, I know nothing about PCOM, so I can't comment on it's "Honda" nature. Lecom was my first choice, and I couldn't be happier with it. We have a great diversity of rotation choices. The PBL program's board scores have been very good. We've been around for 10 years and share a number of rotation spots with PCOM. Several rotation sites have remarked that our students are better prepared clinically than any other medical school in PA, including the MD schools. Granted, this is anecdotal evidence. However, based on the last 2 years, I'm not surprised by these comments. Our clinical education is strong.

Basically, it depends on where you felt that you fit in the best. You will spend the next 2 years of your life at the program you choose. Where will you be the happiest? Only you can answer that question. Quite honestly, I don't know too many people who are unhappy with their choice of LECOM. I would imagine that most PCOM students are equally happy.

If you have any other questions about LECOM, I'd be happy to answer them. Feel free to PM me.

Originally posted by sddoc
Several rotation sites have remarked that our students are better prepared clinically than any other medical school in PA, including the MD schools.

I have friends at Temple, Jefferson, Drexel and Penn. They all say the same thing. Wonder why that is. :rolleyes:

Thanks for takin a min to voice ya opinions.......goooood llooooooooook.........anybody else got a voice on this? I'm not looking to get "sold"....just some thoughts and 2 cents

Originally posted by Dr_sax
Knocking LECOM indirectly knocks PCOM. Most of our clinical faculty WENT to PCOM. Our dean and president are PCOM alumni.
I'm not saying that PCOM is a bad school- it's not. I'm just saying that LECOM was created and is being run by PCOM physicians.

Dr_sax

I think you misinterpreted the comments....DO NOT OVER REACT and get Defensive....
The quote by JP was that let the FLECOM (Lecom -Bradenton) prove itself first. That does not knock lecom in any way shape or form.
I agree with the statement. Main reason I did not go PBL....my class is the second class. When I entered there had not been ANY PBLers that took the boards. Now that a couple of classes have taken the boards....I see nothing wrong with the pathway.

And yes....JP is once again right about the hospitals, other schools, etc....I have rotated with some very good lecom students (BPL, ISP, LDP) and some very bad lecom students (PBL, ISP, and LDP). I have also rotated with good students from Drexel, Temple, Penn St., Pitt. And of course I have rotated with bad students from those same places.
Dont get so defensive....it doesnt strengthen your arguements....only weakens them.
stomper

Stomper,

If there is anyone who continues to misinterpret others' posts, it is you. You have misinterpreted 3 of mine now. But I'll just get rid of the dumb thing.

Please do explain how I misinterpreted this last post of yours....I can (and did) explain how you misinterpreted JPs post.
Perhaps I could be wrong....please show me how I have erred.
stomper

Stomper,

I Pmed you. This thread doesn't need some idiotic tangent.

Sax

Dr. Sax -

You have to learn to ignore Stomper. His one joy in life is to follow LECOM underclassmen around and contradict them. (It kind of reeks of insecurity to me.) He seems to be the kind of guy who would give a wedgie to a freshman!:p Watch out or he'll send you the "you're too sensitive to be in medical school" PM. Look at it this way... by the time you are in rotations, he should be long gone. If only I could be so lucky...;) :D

sddoc,
actually dr sax and I settled our dispute via PM and it really wasnt that big of deal. Your issue is once again overreaction. If you read what JP stated...it was in regards to FLECOM vs PCOM....not LECOM vs. PCOM. This was in response to the OP question. You however took the statement as an attack on the PBL pathway, and LECOM itself. It wasnt. As far as my interaction in the thread....Im only trying to help my fellow lecomers in their progression through medical school, and point out errors if they do so. Why should this be compared to someone giving a freshman a wedgie?
I apologize for telling you that youve misinterpreted the OP and JPs statements. If I have offended you....I apologize. Apparently I have done so in the past, and I apologize for that too.
stomper

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP:
I would like to apologize to you for what this thread has turned into. You asked a question and unfortunately the threat turned into attacks on people. I apologize for any involvement I may have had.
To get back to your original question: LECOM-Bradenton vs. PCOM, I would agree with JP....and I am a LECOM student. If everything else is equal, and the only deciding factor is FL or PA, I would choose PCOM. Not based on anything other than the fact it has been an established school for a long time, producing great physicians.
LECOM-erie, is becoming respectable itself, and has been producing great physicians itself. Yet, despite this fact, that does not directly translate into a great FL school. There is no reputation for the school yet. Only the rep. of LECOM, and the quality of the professors there....which I agree is a good rep.
But there will be kinks that need to be worked out....no major operation runs smoothly the first time. Because you have the choice to select between the 2, PCOM may be a better choice.
stomper

I agree with Stomper on this one. Though, if you're dead-set on PBL, try FLECOM, and if not, trust PCOM. PCOM is a great school, as is LECOM (well, it's getting there at least).

njdo

So, what your saying is that if LECOM built another building across the street from its current location, you would still advise to select PCOM, because the new building has not proven itself? That makes no sense at all. Sure, there will be start up issues, but that is true of any new program that starts up, regardless if that program is in an existing campus or a new campus.

Your argument is valid for a new school, like VCOM, but LECOM south is an established school - a different campus is the only issue. You admit that LECOM generates quality doctors, but then you imply that the ability to continue to produce quality doctors at a new location is less then certain ? even with the same curriculum, instructors, and institutional support. Why would location make a difference? The issues I see with LECOM-South are: 1) will the construction be complete, 2) will the building be furnished, which includes all the necessary technology in place ? and tested, 3) will there be enough instructors hired by opening day and 4) will those instructors be first class, and just how well versed will they be in PBL.

Given that PBL is a lot of team-directed and self-teaching, then the bottom-line is ensuring that the curriculum is a proven one. So, just how well is LECOMs PBL curriculum? Did someone say there was a 96% pass rate for the boards?

There is a big difference between starting a new school and opening a new branch - perhaps one needs to have been in business or work in the real world (with a real job), for awhile to appreciate the enormity of the difference. Having the name, a proven record, and support of an established institution makes a huge difference.

What would I see as the direst possibility? That would be that the majority of the school?s first class did not pass the boards, thereby jeopardizing final accreditation. How could that happen? An unproven curriculum was used, or the school let too many unqualified students in just to fill the seats. Since LECOM has the most to loose, both in maintaining the reputation of its name, and the success of its investment, what makes you think they would stack the cards to their disadvantage? Still, I guess it could happen.

Change is very hard for some people. For those who are not flexible, dread the unknown, need certainty in life, and are skeptical of anything new - the realm of the status quo awaits you.

Thanks BACMEDIC. You put it more eloquently than I ever could have with 2 hours sleep!!!:laugh:

I have to point out to the OP that the students from Lecom telling you to go somewhere else are LDP students. The PBL students are the ones confident that you will be very happy with your education at Lecom. Again, I can't tell you what decision to make. I will tell you that the PBL pathway took the NBOME shelf exam (practice boards) in January, on the weekend after winter break ended. As far as I know, no one studied for the exam at all prior to taking the exam. Our average score, again WITHOUT studying, was passing.

Our real board scores last year were significantly higher than LDP's and ISP's board scores. One of our students received the 3rd highest score in the country. The person directing this program in Erie will be in charge in Florida. FLECOM seems to be a safe choice to me. :) It also seems to be a warmer choice!:hardy: :thumbup:

Originally posted by BACMEDIC

There is a big difference between starting a new school and opening a new branch - perhaps one needs to have been in business or work in the real world (with a real job), for awhile to appreciate the enormity of the difference. Having the name, a proven record, and support of an established institution makes a huge difference.

Yes, one should perhaps look at the real world. The example I am familiar with is the restaurant. I have worked for a chain restaurant, then given an opportunity to work at one opening closer to my home. I took the job....better pay, better job. The job ended up very good. BUT it did not go without problems in the beginning.
Im not saying that I dont think FLECOM will be successful. I think it will. The op just asked for opinions regarding the situation and I think that my opinion is a valid one...and one that should really be thought out when making that decision for oneself.
And Sddoc...please spare me the PBL rhetoric....I think the pathway is a great pathway. It had not been proven yet, when I entered....I was asked by Dr. K and Dr. S. In fact they really were pushing me to enter it. I chose otherwise....and Im happy with my decision (good thing as my fiance is in LDP too). Would I have been happy in PBL, Im sure I would....but I dont need to keep quoting the board stats (which...speaking with Dr. C.K...have been grossly inflated by Dr.K and Dr. S) to pump the program, or make those that went LDP feel as though they are "Learning Disabled Pathway"....you almost sound like a premed and the whole DO vs. MD....get over it.
stomper

i'd go to PCOM unless you have your heart set on PBL. PCOM vs LECOM was my big debate when i was deciding on where to go to school, and i came to LECOM cuz its closer to home (many a day i wish i had chosen PCOM . . . .) you can't really compare LECOM erie to LECOM bradenton-- they won't really be the same at all. one is a huge school in the north and the other is a small school in the south --- LECOM bradenton is going to be completely different. PCOM is a fabulous school-- you can't go wrong with PCOM. LECOM bradenton will probably be great also, but unless you really want PBL, i would let someone else make it great first ;)

LDP is fine, and I would never refer to you guys as the learning disabled pathway. (Although I think you've proven the inferiority complex theory for me again.) Lecture discussion works for the majority of medical students across the country. What I pointed out was that it was the LDP's who are advising students to go elsewhere. PBL students are pretty happy overall with their education at LECOM. All I'm going to say is that board scores don't lie. I've seen the report. PBL's board scores were 50 points higher than LDP's last year. This year, the LDP board review will mimic PBL's board review. We're doing as well as anyone in the country, and we're proud to have attended Lecom.

sddoc....
I PMed you....lets keep this amongst ourselves (the personal attacks) and let the discussion get back to where the OP wanted....I see there hasnt been any new responses from him/her in a while...could be weve made his selection by bickering among lecomers.....
stomper

Stomper -

Until now, I haven't addressed you. I have addressed other members and the concern about whether the Lecom program is a good one. I feel that Lecom is as good as any other school and the PBL program is strong. I have not attacked the LDP program, just questioned why LDP people feel that it is inferior. You really need to be less sensitive about these things.

Aside from the fact that LECOM is a good school, the branch in the south will inevitably be approached with skepticism until they prove themselves. This may just be my opinion, but I believe residency programs would give a stronger preference to PCOM students(all else being equal). I am sure LECOM south will be a great school, but until they produce good doctors that prove the quality of education, they will not have the same reputation some of the older schools have. That is pretty much plain fact in the eyes of competitive residency programs.

It is never a guarantee (however possible) that the south branch will be as quality as the original, stick with PCOM. This is just my opinion so no need for anymore arguments up in here.:smuggrin:

If you are debating between the 6ers or the beach. Go to the beach the 76ers suck. Although they pulled out a nice win today over the T-wolves without Iverson and Robinson.

Originally posted by sddoc
Dr. Sax -

You have to learn to ignore Stomper. His one joy in life is to follow LECOM underclassmen around and contradict them. (It kind of reeks of insecurity to me.) He seems to be the kind of guy who would give a wedgie to a freshman!:p Watch out or he'll send you the "you're too sensitive to be in medical school" PM. Look at it this way... by the time you are in rotations, he should be long gone. If only I could be so lucky...;) :D

Yes....I see you havent addressed me.....granted this isnt addressed to me....but its a mature response (and directed towards me!!!)....I have asked that we keep this in a PM setting....so who really is the guy giving a freshman a wedgie....
stomper

I have a question. Why do people doubt the legitimacy of LECOM south until it has produced "good doctors". Aren't trained and seasoned professors teaching there? Isn't the same school that has a quality program in Erie behind this school?

Why would established professors who have years of experience need to prove themselves again? Won't LECOM south or FLECOM
:D follow an established program used by other schools. I know other schools including allopathic schools use PBL learning? Just because the program is in a new place does not mean that it should have to "prove" itself. From what I have read on this board and from what I have researched and heard myself from a representative from that school, there will be experienced professors at the helm.

What is your worry?:confused:

I'm Finding this discussion of PBL vs. lecture based curriculum very interesting, But my input here if for the purposes of describing Bradenton--I was raised there from 7 years of age.
The West coast of Florida is one of the most beautiful places in the World. Warm gulf waters, the smell of salt through the mangroves, fresh water springs rising up through the limestone inland, warm weather. Way laid back--flip-flops and shorts kind of place.
Now its also conservative in culture ranging from Florida crackers to religious twits to transplanted New England/mid westerner's who are over the age of sixty and who care little about florida schools and social programs.

I plan on applying there, b/c my family is there, its way cheap to live there, and from what I've read the facilties and instructors seem 1st rate. I also am familiar with one of their affiliated hospitals, and think you could get a decent range of experience there. Hope this helps.--Ben.:cool:

I didn't think that the smell of testosterone would yet cut frigid air in Erie. Boys, boys, boys........

Kristen... it could be the estrogen as well. Remember, girls can stand up for their school too!!! :laugh:

I would make the decision based on tuition and location.

As for the PBL debate, in my program (there are six of us), one of my colleagues did a DO PBL program, and he is probably the sharpest and smartest one out of all of us!

Q, DO

I've stood up MANY times..... my legs are beginning to hurt! I like it here and so do the VAST majority of students! Thats my $0.02!