PCOM LOR's???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who already applied to PCOM know if they really stick to this rule?

"Letter of evaluation from the premedical committee, premedical advisor, or Dean of the college granting the undergraduate degree. Individual faculty letters do not fulfill this requirement."

My school didn't have a committee and I just have 2 letters from faculty, am I screwed?:eek:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

"Letter of evaluation from the premedical committee, premedical advisor, or Dean of the college granting the undergraduate degree. Individual faculty letters do not fulfill this requirement."

My school didn't have a committee and I just have 2 letters from faculty, am I screwed?:eek:

Thanks

This is a question that is best addressed by calling PCOM up directly and talking to them. That's my suggestion.

I plan on applying this summer and have a similar problem finding the right letters having not been a science major at my undergrad institution. They are strict in the sense that you will need some kind of letter. You are not screwed, but I would agree with the above and contact them to find out what you can get that would suffice. I have talked with them personally and urge you to do likewise. I hear that this is a requirement that can often hold up applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'll give them a call :)

Thanks

They DO stick to this rule. If you don't have a committee, you will have to get a letter from your Dean just stating you are in good academic standing.

You can still call them if ya want, but this question has been asked a lot and I know they are pretty strict with this rule. (I'm one of the admissions chairmen of my class)

They DO stick to this rule. If you don't have a committee, you will have to get a letter from your Dean just stating you are in good academic standing.
You can still call them, but i'm one of the Admissions Chairmen of my class.

I wish I had done that, and bypassed the committee in the process. Not for PCOM because I didn't apply there -- but for the other schools.

I wish I had done that, and bypassed the committee in the process. Not for PCOM because I didn't apply there -- but for the other schools.

I do believe you will still need to get letters of recommendation from 2 or 3Faculty members though.

Oh yea and I forgot, don't forget to make sure the Dean says you have not had any disciplinary action against you. Blah Blah Blah...just make sure the letter is good. HaHAHa

Damn, that's what I thought! Thanks for saving me a phone call :D

Sigma, did you just ask the dean of your department to write you a letter or did you already know him/her? Since I don't even have a clue to who the dean of my biology department is . . . I'm sure the letter will be luke warm and not all that exciting, oh well :(

Thanks again :)

I do believe you will still need to get letters of recommendation from 2 or 3Faculty members though.

Oh yea and I forgot, don't forget to make sure the Dean says you have not had any disciplinary action against you. Blah Blah Blah...just make sure the letter is good. HaHAHa

Nah, I'm done with the process.

I had stellar professor letters, just a crackhead for a premed advisor.

Sigma, did you just ask the dean of your department to write you a letter or did you already know him/her? Since I don't even have a clue to who the dean of my biology department is . . . I'm sure the letter will be luke warm and not all that exciting, oh well :(

Make an appt with the dean of your dept and spend some time with him or her. They aren't usually that hard to find, or to get in touch with. One of your academic advisors can probably hook you up. If not, just check with your administration; they ought to know. Tell your dean the situation and ask him or her how you can help him write a strong letter in support of you. Ask your dean how you can help him or her help you. ;) Deans usually have a lot of experience writing letters of this nature, so I think he or she will likely be happy to help you.

Make an appt with the dean of your dept and spend some time with him or her. They aren't usually that hard to find, or to get in touch with. One of your academic advisors can probably hook you up. If not, just check with your administration; they ought to know. Tell your dean the situation and ask him or her how you can help him write a strong letter in support of you. Ask your dean how you can help him or her help you. ;) Dean's usually have a lot of experience writing letters of this nature, so I think he or she will likely be happy to help you.

Excellent advice, thanks! I'm going to call tomorrow!

I'm sorry but my school had a Pre-medical committee. I just know PCOM's stance because I have personally heard people ask the asst/admission directors and also just talk on SDN (but i'm the first to say, don't believe everything on SDN).

If you have any other questions about the admissions process, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

do they need a letter from DO ?

do they need a letter from DO ?

Not required, but highly suggested!

In my opinion, just get a letter because it won't hurt ya and it sure as hell will add a few more points to your application.

Question, I have a former professor who is writing a letter for me, but he asked if there should be a specific adressee and I dont know the answer. Help?

Question, I have a former professor who is writing a letter for me, but he asked if there should be a specific adressee and I dont know the answer. Help?

Just address it to the admissions committee. More than one person will be looking at your application.