PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea that whole saving thing didn't work for me. I just typed it out, printed it, and then scanned it back in and send it as 2 attachments...hopefully that isn't too much of a problem. I did mail them the check lol!

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't "save as" this pdf, so I just mailed it.
i tried to save it and do all that tif stuff but it wasnt working figured since im mailing a check might as well mail the app with it im sure they r used to getting this problem every yr with applicants GL everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.
I called and asked about that as I was waitlisted last year but no space for me came up. They said just send them the same stuff I did last time, but I went through and rewrote part of it anyway.

any interview invites? Any idea when they start inviting people?

any interview invites? Any idea when they start inviting people?

Last year the first round of invites did not come until the 2nd week of September. Considering that we didn't get our secondaries until a week ago I would expect a similar timeline or even a little later.

I was considering withdrawing my application from this school after I received a secondary last week because I wasn't sure about PCOM's applicant preferences such as regional preferences, etc.

I called the admissions office and the individual I spoke with was extremely rude and did not answer my questions. I asked if PCOM had a regional preference and if they accept Canadians- she kept saying "it depends on your application" with a rude and dismissive tone. I felt she did not want to answer my question and came up with a generic response.

Needless to say, my experience with PCOM has not been welcoming and I will likely withdraw my application. There probably is a strong regional preference, anyway.

I was considering withdrawing my application from this school after I received a secondary last week because I wasn't sure about PCOM's applicant preferences such as regional preferences, etc.

I called the admissions office and the individual I spoke with was extremely rude and did not answer my questions. I asked if PCOM had a regional preference and if they accept Canadians- she kept saying "it depends on your application" with a rude and dismissive tone. I felt she did not want to answer my question and came up with a generic response.

Needless to say, my experience with PCOM has not been welcoming and I will likely withdraw my application. There probably is a strong regional preference, anyway.

According to the PCOM website, they do accept internationals. If you like the institution, I could certainly encourage you to apply. I wouldn't let one person completely change your mind about a school.

According to the PCOM website, they do accept internationals. If you like the institution, I could certainly encourage you to apply. I wouldn't let one person completely change your mind about a school.

Right on man! I agree!

It is on the website that they accept international applicants...because it is not a state school (as much as i'm aware) they don't have to have preference but they might as with many med schools they want kids who will stay and practice in their areas but if your a good applicant and you fit their mission they won't care if you are from Russia (random half-way around the world country) I agree they can be quick to give you a generic answer as I e-mailed about the letter of rec requirement b/c I received an e-mail response from my advisor that they will accept 2 sci letters of rec in lieu of a pre-med or major advisor letter..and the response was very generic and didn't answer a simple yes or no question. but I don''t let it deter me that its a good school and Id love to go here

So can we send two science professors Letters or is a committee letter still required?

Sitting on the fence with this secondary since I don't have a committee letter.

So can we send two science professors Letters or is a committee letter still required?

Sitting on the fence with this secondary since I don't have a committee letter.
according to their website if you dont have a committee then u can have a pre-med advisor letter or ur advisor in ur department...i e-mailed my advisor (whos also the pre-med advisor) and she responded that PCOM will accept 2 sci prof letters from my school...I e-mailed PCOM to confirm and they just told me to e-mail them the letters

according to their website if you dont have a committee then u can have a pre-med advisor letter or ur advisor in ur department...i e-mailed my advisor (whos also the pre-med advisor) and she responded that PCOM will accept 2 sci prof letters from my school...I e-mailed PCOM to confirm and they just told me to e-mail them the letters

You can also submit a letter from your Dean. I contacted the Dean of the school department I received my degree from and he wrote me a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if our letters were released by virtualEvals, will PCOM get them or do we have to send them snail-like? I'm totally thrown by their low-tech approach...

Does anyone know how strict they are on having a letter from the academic advisor? I didn't have a pre-med committee at my institution and have letters from the 2 science faculty who know mebest. I only met with my actual advisor when I declared my major.
I wrote them with a similar question. This was their response:

"The letter required is a letter from the institution stating you were a student in good standing and there were no disciplinary actions against you while a student. The school will be able to supply this for you."

Hope this helps!

Best of luck.

I just mailed in my secondaries! Hope I get an interview from this place. It's my number 1 choice!

Good luck to everyone!

anyone know if they send confirmation emails out? or should i just wait a few days and call them to make sure they got my app, check, letters?

anyone know if they send confirmation emails out? or should i just wait a few days and call them to make sure they got my app, check, letters?

When did you mail it in? Did you also track your mail?

When did you mail it in? Did you also track your mail?
i mailed my check on tuesday, but didn't email the secondary til friday. i released my letters to them like a week ago.

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this was already posted, but just wanted to share what Admissions just told me about file completion. Once they receive your secondary and its entered into your file, they will email you a website login and password that you can use to check your application to see whether its complete and what has/has not been received.

Good luck!

For the check at least, you can monitor your bank account and see when the check was cashed. Mine was cashed a few days after I mailed it.

Congratz! did u guys get complete e-mails...still havent gotten mine yet..maybe its cuz i mailed in my secondary and didnt email it cuz of the stupid .tif

I never got a complete email so it came as a complete shock to me. Hope that you get one as well:thumbup:

for those who use macs ... I have a .tiff file option but not a .tif is that the same thing?

Congratz! did u guys get complete e-mails...still havent gotten mine yet..maybe its cuz i mailed in my secondary and didnt email it cuz of the stupid .tif

i mailed my app too. Got an interview for 9/19.

did anyone else have trouble responding to the email. I tried to send a reply to confirm the invite but it wouldnt go through

I'll be there 09/19!:D

top choice school here heck yes!

Heyyy people who got interviews, wanna post your stats? Pretty please? That would just be super!

i mailed my app too. Got an interview for 9/19.

did anyone else have trouble responding to the email. I tried to send a reply to confirm the invite but it wouldnt go through

+1 on the email. The email got rejected when I sent the email

+1 on the email. The email got rejected when I sent the email

Mine too. I wonder what's going on... I'd rather it be sent via email to avoid any postal service issues.... anyone got a fix for this?

Mine too. I wonder what's going on... I'd rather it be sent via email to avoid any postal service issues.... anyone got a fix for this?

I'm going to call today to see whats going on.

So the email address they give you in the email is different than the one they put on the secondary form. I got a rejection from the reply button, but I think it went through when I emailed it to the Address listed on the actual secondary.

Either way, I'm mailing a hard copy with my $50.

So the email address they give you in the email is different than the one they put on the secondary form. I got a rejection from the reply button, but I think it went through when I emailed it to the Address listed on the actual secondary.

Either way, I'm mailing a hard copy with my $50.

Yup you're right. I mailed a hard copy with my check earlier today. Just tried the email address listed on the secondary, and it seems to have gone through.

Thanks for the tip. :) I hope the fact that they have the application via email will motivate them to verify it before waiting for the check. Doubt it though. :p

I personally handed them my secondary apps since I lived 10 mins away. But I didn't get an interview yet.

i called to see if the file i sent was compatible with their system. they lady seemed slightly irritated bc they have "like a thousand" applications to filter through, which i told her i understood. i even had my best manners on :D. well, i ended up just sending in a hard copy too.

PS. they want us to wait at least 10 days before checking to see if they received it.

congrats to everyone who got interviews...

anyone know the interviewed to accepted ratio?

Anyone with invites yet who emailed in a secondary?

I submitted my supplemental over 2 weeks ago but haven't received a "complete" email. I called to check and the lady refused to answer any question.

I didn't even know we get a "complete" email. When do we usually get it?

Am I the only one having trouble satisfying every aspect of the essay within 250 words =/ ... How can I describe a characteristic that demonstrates my interest in DO, explain an event where I influenced someone else's life and relate that to why I want to be a DO.... in 250 words (roughly two paragraphs)?

I'm 23, I haven't influenced many ppl yet, let alone in a way that shaped my decision to be a DO lol ... this is ridiculous

I agree with you....I am having a really hard time with this, I honestly don't think I have an example of a time where I directly influenced someone's life, and I keep feeling like every answer I come up with is BS! I'm just going to pick a few examples and go from there ....I only have like 100 words left so this could be tough.

This is interesting...I submitted my secondary 8/15 and the check was cashed 8/18 (go figure) but I have not heard anytime since i sent it.....so are we suppose to get a complete email?

LOL I just realized that its only been 11 days since I sent the secondary/money and 8 days since they received it according to me...man these days seem a lot longer when your unemployed....I think I should be hearing something within the next week or so, hopefully.