PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

Would anyone be so kind as to share their experience as a medical student and parent at this school. I understand some family friendly schools have taped and/or streaming lectures. Attendence for some lectures at least may not be not compulsory. What are the policies at PCOM. Will appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Would anyone be so kind as to share their experience as a medical student and parent at this school. I understand some family friendly schools have taped and/or streaming lectures. Attendence for some lectures at least may not be not compulsory. What are the policies at PCOM. Will appreciate your input!

A know quite a few people that are medical students at PCOM and have told me that all lectures are recorded and then posted on an online program like Blackboard. I have also heard that there is something else that you can get that notes everything that the professor says or writes down but I believe that this is a service not offered by the institution itself ( don't quote me on this because I am not a student there and could be wrong). Hope this helped.

Hello,

Attendance in lecture is not mandatory. All lectures are audio-recorded, but certain professors will threaten to not record lectures if attendance is mediocre (haven't seen this happen yet). All labs are mandatory. In the first trimester, you will take anatomy, and will have lab probably about 4 days a week for ~3 hours a day. OMM lab is once a week for 1.5 hours. Primary Care Skills lab happen maybe once a month. There are patient perspectives, some of which are mandatory, some of which are not. We do have a scribes service, which each student pays for out of pocket if they would like the service, and the quality of the notes will depend on your "scribes." I don't ever go to class and everything is very manageable (but I am not a parent, so I can't speak for that!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Its to your advantage. Grading for surgery has 3 components, one of which is dropped. The "mandatoriness" of lecture is there are quizzes which are relatively easy and you'll do well on. Dr. Sesso will give the answers. This is one component of your grade. The 2nd component is a self-evaluation you do of yourself for cases you attend with a PCOM surgical resident to discuss care/surgery. Again, you'd be foolish to grade yourself poorly. The last component is the exam at the end of the course. Rough. Absolutely rough. You want this to be the part of your grade that is dropped.

Did anyone else have problems with their MCAT score not showing up when they checked their application online? Also, does each letter of recommendation sent show up individually, or do they group them? I sent (pre-med committee, DO letter, MD letter) yet I only see two registering.

My MCAT score is there, and I have one entry for college ltr of recommendation. I sent a committee letter/letter packet, which includes a DO letter.

My MCAT score is there, and I have one entry for college ltr of recommendation. I sent a committee letter/letter packet, which includes a DO letter.

Thanks!

Hm. It looks like they've got the wrong date down for when I took the MCAT. I released my scores directly to them, so hopefully that will clear everything up.

Thanks!

Hm. It looks like they've got the wrong date down for when I took the MCAT. I released my scores directly to them, so hopefully that will clear everything up.

+1. I don't think it's a big deal

Super quiet at PCOM with regard to invites...anyone? Bueller?

This waiting is horrible....its going to be a long year!

Hey Everyone!

This is my first time posting on SDN, even though I have always looked up things on here. I am applying during this cycle to both DO and MD schools. I'm not sure I have much of a shot at the MD schools thought (MCAT:28S cGPA: 3.5)

I received an interview invite yesterday from PCOM for 9/28. I received the secondary on 8/12 and sent it in on 8/17. I did not get a complete email until 9/6 and then received the interview invite yesterday. I had emailed a copy and sent it in during the mail. I was worried about the type of response I will get from DO schools, since I haven't had the opportunity to actually shadow a DO. I tried looking up DO's in my area through the AOA website and called at least 20, but all of them were somehow affiliated with the dominating hospital in my city. Apparently because of some policy they don't allow undergraduates to shadow. I am still trying to search for a DO in case i need it, but I hope I get in here because it's my top choice and so I don't actually have to worry about a letter for the other schools. If you guys don't mind sharing what you guys had in mind for 'why osteopathic medicine' I would really appreciate it! If not, I also understand why.

Also, is anyone here interviewing at PCOM on 9/28?

Still waiting on a response to my LOR question.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did not shadow a DO and got in. they want you to shadow a DO, just to show that you are interested in osteopathic stuff, but as long as the doctor who you shadowed speaks highly of you, you should be fine in that regard. plus, unless youre shadowing an OMM doctor, its all basically the same. just talk about how youre into a "hands on" approach and holistic medicine blah blah

i did not shadow a DO and got in. they want you to shadow a DO, just to show that you are interested in osteopathic stuff, but as long as the doctor who you shadowed speaks highly of you, you should be fine in that regard. plus, unless youre shadowing an OMM doctor, its all basically the same. just talk about how youre into a "hands on" approach and holistic medicine blah blah

I have to say, the attitude in this answer of yours (" its all basically the same. just talk about how youre into a "hands on" approach and holistic medicine blah blah") is offensive to people like me who are actually applying to DO schools because I believe in the osteopathic principles, and it makes you sound like you only applied to DO schools because you couldn't get into an MD program. Just might want to watch the way you phrase things so that you don't offend future classmates, professors, or coworkers.

I have to say, the attitude in this answer of yours (" its all basically the same. just talk about how youre into a "hands on" approach and holistic medicine blah blah") is offensive to people like me who are actually applying to DO schools because I believe in the osteopathic principles, and it makes you sound like you only applied to DO schools because you couldn't get into an MD program. Just might want to watch the way you phrase things so that you don't offend future classmates, professors, or coworkers.

Easy there, kid. You're actually coming off more offensive than BOOYA for trying to ridicule somebody who is ahead of you in training. If you think those comments offended you, then hate to break it to you but you will probably have series of nervous breakdowns in medical school because I can assure you that you will get lot of "offensive" comments from your residents/attendings/fellow classmates. Either learn to grow a thick skin or stop being so damn passionate about an irrelevant cause to the point of being blinded to reality.

And what's this "believe in the osteopathic principles"? The rest of us mortals who don't believe in it still look at patients as people and not a set of symptoms. Your implication that people who don't believe in osteopathic principles are cold-hearted, insensitive jackasses is quite absurd, and once again, offensive.

I hope for your sake, your personal statement sounds less holier-than-thou.

is there a ustudent host program that will host interviewees the night before the interview or are any current student willing to host a someone next week? Thanks

I still didn't get my complete email.. did those who receive an interview ever get a complete email before getting the interview invite?

Really? Cause from what I saw shadowing both MDs and DOs at one particular residency program, it really was the same at the end of the day blahblahblah :p

I still didn't get my complete email.. did those who receive an interview ever get a complete email before getting the interview invite?

Hey ya, I got a complete email on 9/6 and then an email for an interview on 9/14

is there a ustudent host program that will host interviewees the night before the interview or are any current student willing to host a someone next week? Thanks

Hey, what's your interview date? I'm interviewing on 9/28. I booked a hotel though...if you can't find someone and have the same interview date we could perhaps meet up and split the hotel cost or something. i dont know if that's helpful.

I kind of understand what you were trying to say, and first just want to say in regards to others that have commented that I CAN NOT STAND when someone tries to pull rank (however I may have misinterpreted the authors comment and what they meant was an individual who has more experience and therefore a less ignorant viewpoint). I think you were justified in defending your comment, although maybe should have defined better what you meant by the principles.

There will be students who apply to DO schools for safety, or because the location suits them better than the MD schools they got in to, or because they were offered money. There will be students who apply to DO schools because they are interested in the "Osteopathic Prinicples" (and although one is correct in stating that anyone can use a "holistic approach" in regards to mind, body, soul of the patient, this is NOT the only principle that a true Osteopath would follow). OMM will always in my opinion be the key difference between MD and DO students. Many DOs do not want to hear that you want to be a DO because you want to be a holistic doctor, because ANYONE can be, but they are going to want to hear why you are interested in their school specifically, and OMM. Talk about the rule of the artery, how the body is a unit, the "holistic approach to the body" (structure and function relationship), how the body is self-regulating and self-healing (this is a great topic to discuss when bringing up over prescribing drugs). These are the things that will make you stand out as a DO applicant, not the "I want to treat the patient and not the disease, I want to focus on mind, body, spirit" (which, everyone should, and is no longer just an osteopathic thought, thank god).

And there are plenty of DOs that still use OMM in their specialty (that are NOT just in an OMM specialty), however there are plenty that will never use it. You will decide when you learn it if it is for you. Those that are great at it and believe in it will use it, unless they chose a specialty where it will not apply (i.e. Radiology, although I guess you could make arguments on an interventional radiologist using a couple techniques..but doubt they would). I didn't start to become comfortable with it until the end of my first year.

And when you get to your interviews, just do you. Explain honestly why you want to pursue a DO degree, and don't worry about those that are doing it for what you may consider the wrong reasons. Many people in life will unintentionally offend, and it is good to let them know they did so, but also consider that it may have been unintentional, take a deep breath, and let it go.

Evidence based medicine shows a lack of negativity helps you live longer. :)

Hope I was a little helpful, and if not I only wasted my time I guess!

Last edited:
I kind of understand what you were trying to say, and first just want to say in regards to others that have commented that I CAN NOT STAND when someone tries to pull rank (however I may have misinterpreted the authors comment and what they meant was an individual who has more experience and therefore a less ignorant viewpoint). I think you were justified in defending your comment, although maybe should have defined better what you meant by the principles.

There will be students who apply to DO schools for safety, or because the location suits them better than the MD schools they got in to, or because they were offered money. There will be students who apply to DO schools because they are interested in the "Osteopathic Prinicples" (and although one is correct in stating that anyone can use a "holistic approach" in regards to mind, body, soul of the patient, this is NOT the only principle that a true Osteopath would follow). OMM will always in my opinion be the key difference between MD and DO students. Many DOs do not want to hear that you want to be a DO because you want to be a holistic doctor, because ANYONE can be, but they are going to want to hear why you are interested in their school specifically, and OMM. Talk about the rule of the artery, how the body is a unit, the "holistic approach to the body" (structure and function relationship), how the body is self-regulating and self-healing (this is a great topic to discuss when bringing up over prescribing drugs). These are the things that will make you stand out as a DO applicant, not the "I want to treat the patient and not the disease, I want to focus on mind, body, spirit" (which, everyone should, and is no longer just an osteopathic thought, thank god).

And there are plenty of DOs that still use OMM in their specialty (that are NOT just in an OMM specialty), however there are plenty that will never use it. You will decide when you learn it if it is for you. Those that are great at it and believe in it will use it, unless they chose a specialty where it will not apply (i.e. Radiology, although I guess you could make arguments on an interventional radiologist using a couple techniques..but doubt they would). I didn't start to become comfortable with it until the end of my first year.

And when you get to your interviews, just do you. Explain honestly why you want to pursue a DO degree, and don't worry about those that are doing it for what you may consider the wrong reasons. Many people in life will unintentionally offend, and it is good to let them know they did so, but also consider that it may have been unintentional, take a deep breath, and let it go.

Evidence based medicine says a lack of negativity helps you live longer. :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Honestly, I feel that if someone's really only applying to DO purely as a backup and has no interest in OMM, I feel sorry for them because it'll be a miserable 4 years. To each their own...I think once you're in and classes start you are too busy studying to worry about these things anymore, anyway. So yeah, exactly, be yourself and you'll hopefully end up in a program that'll help you reach your goals.

Last edited:

Evidence based medicine says a lack of negativity helps you live longer. :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Honestly, I feel that if someone's really only applying to DO purely as a backup and has no interest in OMM, I feel sorry for them because it'll be a miserable 4 years. To each their own...I think once you're in and classes start you are too busy studying to worry about these things anymore, anyway. So yeah, exactly, be yourself and you'll hopefully end up in a program that'll help you reach your goals.

:thumbup:

Hey ya, I got a complete email on 9/6 and then an email for an interview on 9/14
Thanks for the reply =]

Maybe I should call them again on Monday to find out whats going on.. and see if they received all my documents or not...

I'm camped out at the crown plaza now on pres. ave.

Interview is tomorrow so if anyone else is here send me a pm!

When you say you received a complete email, are you talking about the email which states the school has received your secondary app (and gives your online pin to check your app) or is there an additional email after that?

When you say you received a complete email, are you talking about the email which states the school has received your secondary app (and gives your online pin to check your app) or is there an additional email after that?

No, just that email which acknowledges receipt of your secondary application, fee, and gives you the online information.

Good luck to all you interviewing! If you got to the fishbowl your chances are pretty good. Hope to see you next year!
:D

lol...the fishbowl? care to explain that 1

The room where you sit as you wait for your interview is basically in the lobby and has all glass walls :D
Kind of nerve wracking when you're on the inside, but it's really not so bad, you'll see. Students will stop by and talk to you and everyone is really nice!

Seeing all the interviewees today was pretty funny--they looked so nervous.

Calm down dudes--it is really laid back. Talk to Debbie at the security desk (she'll settle you down) and do NOT talk to anybody in the bookstore unless you want to be there all day

Seeing all the interviewees today was pretty funny--they looked so nervous.

Calm down dudes--it is really laid back. Talk to Debbie at the security desk (she'll settle you down) and do NOT talk to anybody in the bookstore unless you want to be there all day

Debbie makes my day! She gave me a great big hug before our first exam and it made me feel so much better.
She's just a big bag full of sunshine!

I saw some of you guys interviewing today! Hope it went well :)

Does anyone have two fall 2012 admission apps when you check your status on the pcom banner web ? I got one that is says supplemental received and one that it isnt. i hope they dont confuse this. Also did anyone received an interview invite that has their complete email after 9/6 ? Thanks.

hey guys

I have a few questions:)

First, is there somewhere where they post the secondary questions for PCOM like in the MD section on SDN?

and also, does anyone have any stats on what your chances are for getting into pcom with verification date/interview? I am STILL waiting on my verification sadly and I getting worried that I am gonna be too late to get an interview.

Thanks friends:love:

How long after emailing the secondary did it take you all to get the complete email?

How long after emailing the secondary did it take you all to get the complete email?
it takes a while...I dont think they anticipated sooo many people having problems turning the secondary into a .tiff or whatever and many opted to print and mail it in so they have a lot of paper work...also my friend called 4 times and on the 4th time they told him they lost the secondary and he should email them it.

Evidence based medicine shows a lack of negativity helps you live longer. :)

:thumbup:

I definitely couldn't have said it better myself. It does irritate me when I see people who aren't really interested in Osteopathic Medicine looking at it as either inferior to MD or as a "safety," but I guess that's life.

From my experience, though, as we've gotten into second year, I've seen a lot less of that. Even some of my classmates who entered having wished they had gotten into an MD school (one of them a friend of mine), have come around to finally understanding what makes Osteopathic Medicine so great and the benefits that OMM can bring to a patient.

As my colleague, up above, noted, not everyone will use OMM/OMT when they get out into "the real world," but many will. And even those who may not actively practice OMT still understand the benefits it can bring to a patient and may still refer their patients to OMM specialists. Heck, there is also an ever-growing population of MDs out there who see the value in Osteopathic Medicine and OMM/OMT and will also refer their patients to OMM specialists.

So while it will always be my hope that the applicants PCOM gets (and any DO program for that matter) really have a passion for Osteopathy, I understand that isn't always realistic. Just do your best to be the best applicant you can be, have the passion, and definitely shadow a DO if you can and really understand what it is you're getting into.

I can't believe it is already the application season for the class of 2016, but I wish you all the best of luck!

Doesn't seem like many people have received interview invites. Am I wrong?

hey guys

First, is there somewhere where they post the secondary questions for PCOM like in the MD section on SDN?

and also, does anyone have any stats on what your chances are for getting into pcom with verification date/interview? I am STILL waiting on my verification sadly and I getting worried that I am gonna be too late to get an interview.

Don't worry, you still have plenty of time. At the time that I applied, I was a graduate student in PCOM's Biomedical Sciences program, and my year they weren't even allowed to consider our application for interview until March. I interviewed at the end of March, and lo and behold, we just had our first exam of 2nd year today. I'd say there are probably 30+ people in our class who interviewed mid-March or later who were accepted by sometime before classes started. That isn't to say some people weren't wait-listed first, it is what it is.

So don't worry, you're not too late yet. It is better to try to get it verified and finished and hopefully interviewed as soon as possible, as PCOM does have a rolling admissions process, so the class will start to be compiled very soon. The first day of interviews was earlier this week!

Good luck!

hey everyone! received an II on 9/14 and will be interviewing on 9/28! I was complete on 8/25 so I'm guessing it takes about 3 weeks to hear back? Current interviewees/students...does the group breakfast sound as bad as it seems :scared:?!

hey everyone! received an II on 9/14 and will be interviewing on 9/28! I was complete on 8/25 so I'm guessing it takes about 3 weeks to hear back? Current interviewees/students...does the group breakfast sound as bad as it seems :scared:?!

My group was only 3 people and it was really not that bad, once you get past the nerves. :D Very laid back. I guess it depends on the faculty member that's taking you is though.

Did a lot of interview invites already go out? I got my complete email on September 6th, and haven't heard back from them since then =\

Does anyone have two fall 2012 admission apps when you check your status on the pcom banner web ? I got one that is says supplemental received and one that it isnt. i hope they dont confuse this. Also did anyone received an interview invite that has their complete email after 9/6 ? Thanks.
I applied to both the Philadelphia and Georgia campus so I have 2 fall 2012 admissions. Did you apply to both campus?

it takes a while...I dont think they anticipated sooo many people having problems turning the secondary into a .tiff or whatever and many opted to print and mail it in so they have a lot of paper work...also my friend called 4 times and on the 4th time they told him they lost the secondary and he should email them it.
They lost my secondaries too! I didn't find out until 4 weeks later so I had to quickly print everything out again and handed to the admission office the same day. Then I got the complete email the same evening. So complete email received on 9/19. Now I'm so nervous... I wanted to apply early but now it feels like I'm too late or something.... so anxious!

Did a lot of interview invites already go out? I got my complete email on September 6th, and haven't heard back from them since then =\
I got my complete email on 9/19 so we should keep in contact!

hey guys

I'll leave the first question for someone who had the secondary this year to answer. I'm not sure if the questions have changed, but they were very generic when I applied (Why DO, Why PCOM).

I don't know that they release stats based off of when you are verified and how many people get interviews/are accepted, but for the class of 2014 (are 2015's out yet anyone???), 800 were invited for interview, 400 were accepted, and our class size is about ~270, and that was out of about 6500 applicants, which I know went up last year. Over 60% of our class was in state.

You still have a lot of time. They interview through March, and people last year received invites a couple weeks before the last date. It seems like admissions takes awhile for verification, but they receive a lot of applications.

Good luck! I was freaking out right about now too.

hey guys

There is only one secondary question:
Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal
characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your
actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (word limit: 250)

Still waiting on my completion e-mail...
How long has it been since you turned in your supplementals? They lost mine and didn't find out until 4 weeks after I turned mine in. They said to give them 10 business days to send out a complete email so if its been longer than that... call them up.