PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is the essay prompt the same as last year?

Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO.

Is there a character limit to this?

Members don't see this ad :)
that prompt is harddddd..have to relate to osteopathic medicine?

Just got the secondary....I don't know whats worse the essay question or the fact that we only have 250 words to write it...

I have the GA secondary, but not the philly secondary, as of yet...

I find it extremely inconvenient that you can't pay the application fee online.

Anyone know of a good way to save this pdf?

Last edited:
not sure, but here it is if u want it.

.Please respond to the following essay topic, limiting your response to 250 words..
.Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO..

Does anyone know how to save the filled-in application as a .tif file on a MAC? I'm convinced it's not possible, and I may as well include a paper copy of the application along with my check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to save the filled-in application as a .tif file on a MAC? I'm convinced it's not possible, and I may as well include a paper copy of the application along with my check.

I'm trying, but I'm MAC traded and every time I download the app it comes up in Preview...there's not a "save as" option like it says in the email!! Gah. Note to PCOM: Get on the techno ball with everyone else and set up a portal.

Hey guys - if it helps here is how I saved the file... I completed the PDF then clicked the "Print Form" button on the PDF. I printed it to Snagit (it is a program that lets you do screen captures, I think most people have this??) and from Snagit I did "Save As" .tif file. Before you hit save click the "Option" button and then click the "Multiple Pages" button so you can save it as a multiple page tiff file.

Go to file and click "save as" and you can change the format to .tif from there.

I also have a question. I have a citation for a traffic accident. It wasn't anything serious (no reckless driving, DUI, or the sort). Do I mention that under the felony/misdemeanor section?

I'm trying, but I'm MAC traded and every time I download the app it comes up in Preview...there's not a "save as" option like it says in the email!! Gah. Note to PCOM: Get on the techno ball with everyone else and set up a portal.

Hey I also used preview but I was able to fill the form in and save as .TIFF. Maybe you missed something?

did anyone else not get a PCOM User ID# in their email...

the user id is included in the e-mail subject line.

i even checked that and i didn't see it...I couldn't even add the numbers to the application.

Does this happen to anyone else... every time i type something it disappears after I move onto the next question.

My problem is when I'm done filling out the application and I try to save it as a .tiff the whole entire thing gets deleted. The only way that it works for me is when I save the file as a pdf. I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see if it is ok to send it like that.

Secondary Submitted and Payment in the mail:)

Good luck to everybody!!:thumbup:

Go to file and click "save as" and you can change the format to .tif from there.

I also have a question. I have a citation for a traffic accident. It wasn't anything serious (no reckless driving, DUI, or the sort). Do I mention that under the felony/misdemeanor section?

Most places say "other than a minor traffic citation." Unless it was actually a misdemeanor or felony (i.e. a ticket) I wouldn't worry about it.

Most places say "other than a minor traffic citation." Unless it was actually a misdemeanor or felony (i.e. a ticket) I wouldn't worry about it.
a lot of the osteopathic schools just saying "except parking violations" so unless it says "other than minor traffic citations" u should list misdemeanor speeding tickets...but honestly if u dont its usually no big deal as the background check is rly only looking for rly hardcore stuff like DUIs and other things that will prevent u from getting clearance for rotations/licensure
and btw i know of people who forgot about misdemeanor speeding tix they forgot about until they got the interview and told the adcom at the interview and they just laughed...i mean who doesnt have a speeding ticket

For the question about the felony and misdemeanor, do you guys have a boxes before the answer to select the answer? The secondary for Georgia campus is fine but the one for the Philadelphia campus does not have those boxes for this question only. Does anybody have this problem?

the question where it says: Briefly summarize below what you have done since your last application to improve your candidacy.
Is that only for if you applied before or from the time you submitted the primary?

Also if .TIFF the same thing as .TIF?

Last edited:
it says if you answered yes to the previous question (whether you applied to this campus before or not), then you need to describe how you improved yourself. Do you have the same problem as I do in my question?

it says if you answered yes to the previous question (whether you applied to this campus before or not), then you need to describe how you improved yourself. Do you have the same problem as I do in my question?

Yes, it happens to me, but I just typed in Yes or No in the text box below. I really don't think its a big deal that you can't check the box as long as in the text box you explain if its a Yes.

For the question about the felony and misdemeanor, do you guys have a boxes before the answer to select the answer? The secondary for Georgia campus is fine but the one for the Philadelphia campus does not have those boxes for this question only. Does anybody have this problem?

In the box where they said to explain if yes, I just typed yes/no.

I can't save it as .TIF... dammit 0_0

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the secondary....I don't know whats worse the essay question or the fact that we only have 250 words to write it...

so thats like 1500 characters (with spaces)...hm?
i got used to the AACOMAS character (w/spaces) count. heh.

I just gave up trying to save it as a .tif and sent a paper application in. I'm sure many people are having issues so I'm sure they'll figure out that their instructions are of poor quality

Am I the only one having trouble satisfying every aspect of the essay within 250 words =/ ... How can I describe a characteristic that demonstrates my interest in DO, explain an event where I influenced someone else's life and relate that to why I want to be a DO.... in 250 words (roughly two paragraphs)?

I'm 23, I haven't influenced many ppl yet, let alone in a way that shaped my decision to be a DO lol ... this is ridiculous

Last edited:
Am I the only one having trouble satisfying every aspect of the essay within 250 words =/ ... How can I describe a characteristic that demonstrates my interest in DO, example an event where I influenced someone else's life and relate that to why I want to be a DO.... in 250 words (roughly two paragraphs)?

I'm 23, I haven't influenced many ppl yet, let alone in a way that shaped my decision to be a DO lol ... this is ridiculous

You weren't the only one who struggled to keep it to 250 words. My first draft was way over the 250 word limit. I just tried to keep everything as concise as I could and couldn't elaborate into much detail.

You weren't the only one who struggled to keep it to 250 words. My first draft was way over the 250 word limit. I just tried to keep everything as concise as I could and couldn't elaborate into much detail.

yeah I'm doing the same, I just want it to flow better. It seems like I'm jumping around bc I'm trying to satisfy all of what they want. :(
I guess they'll be expecting that to some degree

I'm having trouble completing the application too. Its not saving any of my essays.. and its so annoying

I'm having trouble completing the application too. Its not saving any of my essays.. and its so annoying
You can just print it out and mail it in with the fee like EvryDayImHustln did.

I had to cut my essay by half, but it's done! Although, when I click away from the essay box it scrunches the text up all weird. Couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I included it as a word document in the email. I'm also gonna send in hard copies with my check. MOST ANNOYING SECONDARY EVER.

Ok, so I'm a Mac user (OSX Lion) and I had tremendous difficulty filling this out. I had to use Adobe Acrobat (not reader, but the one that costs money) to fill it out and save as. Save as is disabled in Adobe Reader, and Preview wouldn't let me fill out a damn thing.

Then, after saving as TIFF files, they saved as single pages, ie each page was a separate file. so to merge the two tiffs, i used graphicconverter (freeware, license can be bought if you want to). I finally got a two page tiff with all of the info i wanted. If you need help, PM me and i'll do my best to guide you.

graphicconverter:
http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTM0NA_.html
instructions to convert:
http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-6560.html

How is this easier than doing it by mail? If you are going to mail a payment, might as well mail the app with it..good luck everyone!

How is this easier than doing it by mail? If you are going to mail a payment, might as well mail the app with it..good luck everyone!

I agree, I'm just mailing everything including a word doc of my essay.

You can just print it out and mail it in with the fee like EvryDayImHustln did.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I called the admission office about it too and they said it was a new system and that I should just mail in the documents.

They also said the traffic accident that I got a citation for is a misdemeanor and I should put it down. It wasn't a problem, just have to be prepared to talk about it during the interview.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I called the admission office about it too and they said it was a new system and that I should just mail in the documents.

They also said the traffic accident that I got a citation for is a misdemeanor and I should put it down. It wasn't a problem, just have to be prepared to talk about it during the interview.
i keep having to put down my speeding tix from 7 yrs ago...it sucks (funny thing i called the county where i got the tickets from and asked how long it stays on my record...they said 99 yrs...92 yrs to go til im misdemeanor free :p) i wouldnt worry about it

I hope I'm not the only one having a ridiculously hard time with this prompt. It's asking so much and only wanting 250 words! Do you think I'll be severely docked if I'm 13 words over? I feel like it's already pretty choppy and I really don't want to cut anything else out. :/

Edit: Got it down to 251 words. They'll just have to suck it up.

If your using a pc, when you click on the print button, there should be a box called "print to file" if you check that box and click print (doesn't matter what printer) you should then see the "save as" box appear. put in "LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.TIF" (MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE .TIF)

then click save and you should have a .tif file

hope this helps

I hope I'm not the only one having a ridiculously hard time with this prompt. It's asking so much and only wanting 250 words! Do you think I'll be severely docked if I'm 13 words over? I feel like it's already pretty choppy and I really don't want to cut anything else out. :/

Edit: Got it down to 251 words. They'll just have to suck it up.

Ha, good luck!!:luck: