PCOM- South Georgia vs RVU- Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username required

Reaction score
Hello,
I need help deciding between these two schools. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PCOM south Georgia
Pros
  • i'm from south florida, so this is a bit closer to home. possibly have rotations in florida?
  • PCOM's reputation (but does this apply to the relatively new location of South Georgia?)
Cons
  • new location
  • competing with other Georgia campus for rotation spots?

Rocky vista Southern Utah
Pros
  • est. 2006
  • good scores

Cons
  • I have to drive to Las Vegas to fly to florida
  • The midwest is not where I plan to practice medicine in the future

Summary: I want to go to the school that has the best environment between students/faculty and that will give me the best opportunity to go to a competitive specialty. I have a hard time trying to figure out which of these schools will give me this. On one hand im aware that PCOM has a great reputation but how does that fare when it comes to being the 3rd class of their South Georgia campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Given RVU’s for-profit model and their **** match this year, I would take PCOM. Newer school but you’ll be treated as a valuable student, not a bank.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with PCOM-SG but I will say you won't get the recognition or resources as the main campus. But avoid RVUSU until they get their act together.

RVU-SU’s first class was in 2017 (just graduated), making it barely older than PCOM-SGA, and Southern Utah is not the midwest.

You should go to PCOM-South GA because RVU-SU had an atrocious first match this year, and it is farther from home for you. Also, PCOM’s name is much better than RVU’s (take that with a grain of salt though, since these are both new campuses.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • The midwest is not where I plan to practice medicine in the future
first, Utah is not in The Midwest region.

I know tons who went/go to vista and they are extremely happy. Lots of members of the Church of Jesus Chrest of Latter-Day Saints (their preferred name) so if you are okay with a different atmosphere not only geographical but culturally then this is would be a great place. get away from home. Its Good for you.