PCOM Students - was taking the Biochem course at PCOM worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEB129

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They recommend that you take their biochem class the summer before you start -- is it worth it?

Also, when does it start...June? And how long does it last?

Members don't see this ad.

SOme people are required to take it. It starts mid June till end of July or so. I know of no one who benefited from it. One brightside is you meet people earlier then orientation (not that big of a deal). You are better off having a summer job and earning some cash.

Members don't see this ad :)
SOme people are required to take it. It starts mid June till end of July or so. I know of no one who benefited from it. One brightside is you meet people earlier then orientation (not that big of a deal). You are better off having a summer job and earning some cash.
agreed

And if so, do you know anywhere in the south jersey/philly area to take it in the summer?

Thanks everyone!

And if so, do you know anywhere in the south jersey/philly area to take it in the summer?

Thanks everyone!

I'm in the minority around here when i say its worth taking ahead of time. Granted i actually passed out of the test (most people got 100 on the test, it was ridiculous). Off hand I dont knwo anywhere that offers it but I would check nova. They are reasonable and offer alot of classes during hte summer.

They recommend that you take their biochem class the summer before you start -- is it worth it?

Also, when does it start...June? And how long does it last?

I took the biochem summer course, and I thought it was a waste of time. When it is 80 degrees outside, who wants to be in a classroom M-F 8-4pm learning about ATP.

On the other hand, some of my 'bestfriends' in medical school were people that took the Biochem course with me. Taking the class also gives you the chance to meet the faculty ahead of time...and gives you a jump start on the lectures (a mere 1 week...which you won't take for 3 months into your 1st year).

I'm in the minority around here when i say its worth taking ahead of time. Granted i actually passed out of the test (most people got 100 on the test, it was ridiculous). Off hand I dont knwo anywhere that offers it but I would check nova. They are reasonable and offer alot of classes during hte summer.

I'm with you Jonny. Take Histo if you can. I freaking hated studying for histology...i guess its not my cup of tea. I actually scored better on my SPOM exams and Anatomy exams. :eek: :eek:

Looking back now I am glad that I didnt do ANYTHING the summer before medical school except make money and relax...when not making money.

You dont get many opportunities to relax once you get past MSII. Enjoy what you have now.