PCOM vs COMP (westernU Pomona)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrow333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PCOM
pros
  • close to current home
  • city school
  • highly ranked
cons
  • in the northeast when I ideally want to move to SoCal for residency
  • interview day experience was unorganized and made me weary (because they just started a new curriculum - so my class would be round 2 guinea pigs)

COMP
pros
  • not the best location but in SoCal which raises my chance for residency in SoCal (I am assuming from the research I have done)
  • really liked the interview day experience
  • pretty well-respected school in SoCal
cons
  • huge move (across the country)
  • not the best rotation locations (I have gathered from previous SDN posts)
thank you guys/gals so much in advance I appreciate any and all feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up -- Western also implemented a totally redesigned curriculum this year.

Congrats on both! I also am deciding between PCOM and a few other schools too. From my research, PCOM is more reputable, it is older and therefore highly recognized. If you are worried about getting matched in the west coast, I do know two 3rd year PCOM students who are currently rotating (3rd year) in San Diego and San Fran (their hometowns). I know if you make the effort to rotate in your desired location, you can increase your chances for matching. If I were you, I would speak to someone at PCOM/WesternU's admissions and try to seek out more info. If you want to stay close to home, there is probably a way (that someone has done) to make it to the west coast for residency. Good luck with everything!
I also think you will find this forum really helpful:
Going to a med school on the east coast. Any advice on how to get a residency position at a UC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Phys/anat for each system first year, then path/micro/pharm for each system second year. Used to be just one pass per system essentially.