PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milunn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any PCOM students out there. I just wanted to know what you think of the school. I have been thinking hard about becoming a DO and believe PCOM would be my first choice. I was also wondering if they give preference to in-state residents? Any replies would be much obliged.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year at PCOM and I think it's a great school. Everything is brand new (library, gym/activity center, OMM lab, etc.) and the faculty and administration are really focused on educating good DO's. PCOM also has many affiliations throughout Pennsylvania and some in New Jersey and Delaware which means lots of options for rotations and good post-graduate programs. At the same time, they continually evaluate each rotation site so that every student recieves a comparable and solid clinical education.
The basic science curriculum is system-based except for anatomy, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Some people like it, some don't, but it's the same with every curriculum.
Also, Philadelphia is a great city in which to study medicine with 4 other medical schools in the city whom I've heard are pretty receptive to osteopathic students in terms of rotations, etc. Some of the profs at PCOM also teach at other schools in the city (DOs and MDs alike).
PCOM does give preference to Penn. residents.
In short, I'm very happy to be at PCOM and I feel as though I'm at the best osteopathic school in the country.

Could you tell me the admissions process was like there. Also, more specifically what were your thoughts on the interviewing process at PCOM. That is if you would like to remember it.
Thanks

My interview was very relaxed and comfortable. There wasn't any grilling with difficult ethical questions or anything of that sort. It's really just a chance for the committee to get to know who you are and why you're interested in medicine and, specifically, osteopathic medicine. The admissions office didn't even get annoyed with me when I kept calling to check on the status of my application.
The hard part of application is getting all of your recs and things that together. Compared to that, interviewing is a breeze. It is important to have a letter of recommendation from a DO, even though it is not required.