PCSOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if you can use the two or three professors LORS instead of the premedical source LOR for Pikeville? They say you must have one professor, one doctor, and one premedical source. Has anybody used an extra professor or two instead? I don't have a premedical source. Will call in the morning, just wanted to see if anybody has already encountered this.

Last edited:
I edited with PCSOM. I'm talking about Pikeville if anybody is confused because of the title.

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools will accept an extra professor. Many schools don't have the premedical source so substitution by a science professor is fine.
Does anybody know if you can use the two or three professors LORS instead of the premedical source LOR for Pikeville? They say you must have one professor, one doctor, and one premedical source. Has anybody used an extra professor or two instead? I don't have a premedical source. Will call in the morning, just wanted to see if anybody has already encountered this.

thanks psy! Do you know this from personal experience? I know must schools will do this but I know PCOM-GA will make me have a letter from the dean of my undergrad school if I don't have a premedical source. I was just making sure Pikeville didn't need the same type of letter. Thanks again!

thanks psy! Do you know this from personal experience? I know must schools will do this but I know PCOM-GA will make me have a letter from the dean of my undergrad school if I don't have a premedical source. I was just making sure Pikeville didn't need the same type of letter. Thanks again!

Hi Ali!

I am in the class of 2012 at Pikeville. I had letters written by three professors and by one D.O.. They were sent in a packet by my school's office. I didn't have to use the forms that Pikeville sends with the secondary nor did they require anything different. When you get the secondary application, all of the requirements will be explained. You can either use the forms PCSOM gives you or send your own letters. Those forms are basically a guideline of what they are wanting to know.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Make sure you are from the region surrounding PCSOM. They have a strong preference for regional students. If you don't have any ties to the region or don't live any where near the region don't even apply. Save yourself a few dollars.

Make sure you are from the region surrounding PCSOM. They have a strong preference for regional students. If you don't have any ties to the region or don't live any where near the region don't even apply. Save yourself a few dollars.

I live in northern Alabama, part of the Appalachian region, which is where they say they want their applicants from. Do you think that is good enough?

This is personal experience. I called all of the schools I applied to and asked before I submit my application. They all said that is fine. :)

This may be a little late, but you don't necessarily have to be from a rural area of Applachia. I am in the class of 2010 at PCSOM, and we have students from Michigan and bigger cities. It's all about whether the school is impressed during your interview. :)

Good luck!

This may be a little late, but you don't necessarily have to be from a rural area of Applachia. I am in the class of 2010 at PCSOM, and we have students from Michigan and bigger cities. It's all about whether the school is impressed during your interview. :)

Good luck!

just to add to that, i know of 2 students in the past who have matriculated to pikeville from my undergrad, which is in the city (and both of their hometowns are chicagoland suburbs) :thumbup:

I know this might be late and everybody else has answered but you can send another professor letter in place of the premed source/committee. I did that this past app cycle. But if you have any doubts, call Angel and she will explain. She is very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school is in shambles and is a joke.

The school is in shambles and is a joke.

You've been bitter about it for a while now. I hope it's not as bad as you make it sound. But after reading your other post about leaving Pikeville/tuition.....

I wonder how much truth is in it all.

You've been bitter about it for a while now. I hope it's not as bad as you make it sound. But after reading your other post about leaving Pikeville/tuition.....

I wonder how much truth is in it all.

nothing but the truth my friend.

Has anyone received their secondary?

Has anyone received their secondary?

Yes they mail it. I received in interview invite for 10/17 about 2 weeks after I was complete. The invite was also by mail.

Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that they mailed it, so I won't bug them about it unless I don't get it by the end of next week! haha
Congrats on your interview!!

In order for them to get your MCAT scores do you just have to release them to AACOMAS?

In order for them to get your MCAT scores do you just have to release them to AACOMAS?

My understanding is that if you submitted your AACOMAS application to PCSOM or any other DO school, the schools will get your MCAT scores from AACOMAS if and when you release the scores to AACOMAS.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I am in the same situation waiting on MCAT scores.

Just a little heads up to those who are applying to Pikeville. Dean Payson who oversaw all the admissions ect. passed away recently. I dont think this should affect the speed of hearing anything at all like that. By the way, there are some people who have bad things to say about PCSOM but to be honest with you every single thing that was said I have found to be untrue. The administration here is really really awesome and I feel like I am getting stellar education from PCSOM. They push you hard like every other school but in addition, community service is HUGE here. The community is small so the students interact with residents and students in our open clinics and programs like DO's on the GO. PCSOM also just switched to a full day block testing schedule. Many schools are starting to switch to this because drastic increases in board scores have been seen in MD and DO programs. It's very grueling for 1 day of 8 hour testing + practicals. However, these tests I feel are like taking a practice board exam each month. I love it here and I've quickly realized that I would not be happy anywhere else. Good luck to those applying.

Does anyone have any idea of the range of GPA/MCAT's accepted in recent years for persons from the App. region?

They havent given us a real number but unofficially I've heard that the recent class averages hover between 24-26 on the MCAT. I think if you live outside of the App. region or Kentucky the average is about the same. However, you MUST show some sort of outstanding abilities in either GPA or experience. Obviously there are going to be people above and below these averages. Good luck with the process and you should look into PCSOM. It's a school that is currently on the rise. Good luck

I have been calling Pikeville and NO ONE ever answers the phone! It is impossible to get ahold of anyone. I want to know what is going on but how am I ever going to be complete when no one answers the phone or returns emails??? :(

angel is the one who runs the admissions. What I kept doing was calling her everyday if she didnt call me back. She's not blowing you off, she's the only one coordinating the admissions so she's very busy. Try to email her if you can. If that does not work then call the deans office and complain. Sometimes Jennifer can help you out in that office. If there is a question that you have that you think I might be able to answer let me know and I can help you. The admissions office and dean of students office had an unexpected death of the Dean this year so they are in the middle of hiring a new dean of students. FYI, getting hold of Teresa in financial aid is best done through email. She's rather quick with emails. Don't get discouraged with the office yet. I dont think they've had any interview dates yet. Good luck

angel is the one who runs the admissions. What I kept doing was calling her everyday if she didnt call me back. She's not blowing you off, she's the only one coordinating the admissions so she's very busy. Try to email her if you can. If that does not work then call the deans office and complain. Sometimes Jennifer can help you out in that office. If there is a question that you have that you think I might be able to answer let me know and I can help you. The admissions office and dean of students office had an unexpected death of the Dean this year so they are in the middle of hiring a new dean of students. FYI, getting hold of Teresa in financial aid is best done through email. She's rather quick with emails. Don't get discouraged with the office yet. I dont think they've had any interview dates yet. Good luck

Thanks for your help...I'm trying to figure out if they've received my primary. I'm already verified and my AACOMAS has been released but I have not received a secondary. On their website it says that every student who lists Pikeville on AACOMAS gets a secondary so I'm trying to figure out what's going on...I want to finish applying here but I'm not going to give them anymore money if they can't even answer a phone.

Thanks for mentioning this. Do you have any idea when interviews are going to start?

Thanks for your help...I'm trying to figure out if they've received my primary. I'm already verified and my AACOMAS has been released but I have not received a secondary. On their website it says that every student who lists Pikeville on AACOMAS gets a secondary so I'm trying to figure out what's going on...I want to finish applying here but I'm not going to give them anymore money if they can't even answer a phone.

just a heads up, Pikeville's was one of the last secondaries I received since it was sent by snail mail...so just be patient! They will confirm that your file is complete by sail mail as well.

the first interview date is 10/17. the next one will be week before turkey day.

Pikeville is one admissions office that does take a while to get interview information to people. I wouldn't worry about it. I think most people from my class interviewed in either november or january of last year.

I finally received my secondary :) For students that currently go to Pikeville, how do you like the school and living in Kentucky?

Glad to hear about getting the secondary!!! In general I think PCSOM gets a bad wrap from people that are looking for another type of school. A stark distinction must be made between the undergrad of Pikeville College and the Medical school. Many COM's tout a family atmosphere and close-knit community and after my interviews I believed that only one really had this atmosphere. PCSOM is a collection of Students, Faculty, and Families. Families are involved with medical school functions out in the community and mission trips ect. PCSOM has just revamped the curriculum and made a good bit of change lately. The new Dean is very student friendly and is amazing. We just switched to a testing procedure where we have one really big test with all subjects in it mixed up. It's goal is to basically give you a mock COMLEX type exam each month. It's a tough test but it's only one day and studies at other COM's have showed marked improvement on scores as a result of using this testing. PCSOM is highly involved in the community of Pikeville. Pikeville gets a bad wrap and takes some getting used to. However, there is a major hospital here and tons of interesting cases come through there. We have guest lectures from alumni and get clinical experience from day 1. The school is not into spending money on fluffy stuff such as 5,000 on a glass OPP table. They spend their money on people (faculty and students). Each student gets a new laptop and really nice tools for clinical skills. If you are a kentucky resident then tuition is really cheap and for me it was about the same as my instate anyway. A deciding factor for me was the reputation of PCSOM in the region. Many residencies around the area know that PCSOM puts out quality and not quantity. It's truly a school that you must come to visit and talk with students and faculty to get the best feel. I have no regrets and I love PCSOM.

Pikeville really is a great school. I had the opportunity to take an off the cuff tour last month and was greatly impressed. The school certainly lacks some of the fancy bells and whistles (sim labs, etc) that are of high importance to some people (nothing wrong with that, by any means) but I was drawn by how genuine everyone seemed to be. For the first time in a long time, I felt like a person in the med school admisisons world. Im a reapplicant, with a 3.0 and a 21S (brought up from 2.8 by retaking biochem, phys). Anyone want to throw in the two cents on my chances? But back to the original topic, Pikeville has a lot of great stuff going for it. I could do without a dress code, but for a school that truly would support me through the good and the bad, I think Pikeville would be a great match.

Im a reapplicant, with a 3.0 and a 21S (brought up from 2.8 by retaking biochem, phys). Anyone want to throw in the two cents on my chances?

Is your overall a 3.0? How about science gpa? Have you applied yet and if not.... do so now! Your MCAT is on the low side, but people do get in with scores around there. Nice work on the writing!

You'll have another advantage if you live in KY and/or you're coming from the Appalachian region.

--I am from Virginia
--Ive already applied, but not yet verified. Angel still has my secondary from when I applied (late) last year. She said she'll just reuse the one from last year, just waiting on primary to be verified.
--3.0 cum, 2.7 science.
--Retook 10 credits with great grades.
--Strong clinical experiences.

Any t

Any thoughts?

I am interviewing very soon and was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me through the process or things to expect.

Glad to hear about getting the secondary!!! In general I think PCSOM gets a bad wrap from people that are looking for another type of school. A stark distinction must be made between the undergrad of Pikeville College and the Medical school. Many COM's tout a family atmosphere and close-knit community and after my interviews I believed that only one really had this atmosphere. PCSOM is a collection of Students, Faculty, and Families. Families are involved with medical school functions out in the community and mission trips ect. PCSOM has just revamped the curriculum and made a good bit of change lately. The new Dean is very student friendly and is amazing. We just switched to a testing procedure where we have one really big test with all subjects in it mixed up. It's goal is to basically give you a mock COMLEX type exam each month. It's a tough test but it's only one day and studies at other COM's have showed marked improvement on scores as a result of using this testing. PCSOM is highly involved in the community of Pikeville. Pikeville gets a bad wrap and takes some getting used to. However, there is a major hospital here and tons of interesting cases come through there. We have guest lectures from alumni and get clinical experience from day 1. The school is not into spending money on fluffy stuff such as 5,000 on a glass OPP table. They spend their money on people (faculty and students). Each student gets a new laptop and really nice tools for clinical skills. If you are a kentucky resident then tuition is really cheap and for me it was about the same as my instate anyway. A deciding factor for me was the reputation of PCSOM in the region. Many residencies around the area know that PCSOM puts out quality and not quantity. It's truly a school that you must come to visit and talk with students and faculty to get the best feel. I have no regrets and I love PCSOM.

Is tuition lower for ky residents? I just looked on their website and couldn't even find the tuition cost. I know it used to be there. anyway, do you know exactly what it is? Pikeville is one of the three schools I applied to and am hoping to get an interview soon (been a while since i sent in my secondaries).

Tuition is the same for instate residents. However Kentucky students are eligible to apply for a scholarship to pay for their school tuition under the terms that they do primary care in a rural area of Kentucky post graduation.

Does everyone who is applying to Pikeville or is a current student want to be a rural primary care doctor? The secondary application essay is assuming that people want to be rural primary care doctors. I am interested in primary care but I don't really want to work in a rural town. How did other people answer this question?

So i have a 22p and 3.35 total GPA which I know both are on the low side :( any chances?

Pikeville is my top choice as of now, despite some of the negative posts I have read and I am really hoping to get an interview so I can visit the school in person and make my own judgements.

Does anyone know if PSCOM combines scores from all MCAT tests, if they do then I am better off. Thanks and good luck to everyone else!

Wacky:

Couple of things for you, as Im applying to PCSOM right now and know a fair amt. about the processs there. Couple of things right off the bat:

1) Where are you from in the country?
2) Do you interview well?
3) Have you already graduated? If yes, do something to improve yourself. Retake a science class, preferably.

I wouldnt stress about the MCATs unless your distribution is all screwed up (in other words, 9,9,4 would be no good)

If ther answer to question one is somewhere in App. region, good. If not, you cant help this, dont stress on it, just move on.

This is the question not to BS yourself on. Be honest with yourself. Pike places a huge value on the interview, huge. Lots of people think they interview well and they dont. Thus, find someone somewhat objective who will practice with you and most importantly, help you shine. Find someone who will point out whatever little nuances you do/say (we all have them), as that will help let whatever the best aspect of your personality is shine through. If you get the interview, its not a numbers game anymore, its about you. Thus, its your chance to show them that what defines you isnt the 22 MCAT. The Pikeville interview is known for being very casual, so the cards are in your favor from the get go. Again, prepare.

I am finishing up my secondary and it says on the front page to attach your Statement of Purpose. I have never had to attach one to any other applications and was wondering if someone could help me out with this. Is it just about my goals? How long should it be? I tried contacting the admissions office on Friday but no one was there to help.

Thanks!

Thanks Squad41...

Yeah, I am from Texas which is out of the region, but I did mention in my statements that I wanted to live in the region after graduaton.

Also thanks for the input about the interview, I have been told I do this well so I thought I might wing it, but after what you said I think I will work on it a lot more just to be sure! Good luck with your applications!

So I got a postcard that says my file is now being reviewed. I am super nervous, hopefully that card will be followed by an interview invite! Hope ya'll other Pikeville applicants are doing well!

My Pike interview is going to be in November.....I am UNBELIEVABLY pumped.....

Can anyone offer any specifics w/ more current information regarding interviews, interview details, things to know in advance, how long the day lasts, etc?......the last update in the interview forum for PCSOM was in June, 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.