PCSOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job! You must have blown them away Friday!

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations to my friend mebridges :) you are going to make a spectacular doctor!

I got the call this morning - I am officially in the PCSOM class of 2013!!!

Congratulations. That is awesome. I know your feeling. I think I am still on a high or maybe coming down a little. Now starts the next bit of fun of getting everything together. But dont worry about that. Enjoy your great news!!
Tell everyone you've earned it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!! I am very excited... I'm so happy that even my biochemistry exam yesterday barely phased me, haha... robyn - you're next! :)

Congrats!!! Biochem test...uggghhhh. See you in the fall! :)

Called Angel today. 52 spots have been filled they take a total of 75. and my application is not in Angel's batch for interview invites yet. She has 50 more I think they are going to invite, for this next group. I think my chances are fading. How do they interview through march and april especially if they are almost full. Anyone know the answers to my rambling?

Called Angel today. 52 spots have been filled they take a total of 75. and my application is not in Angel's batch for interview invites yet. She has 50 more I think they are going to invite, for this next group. I think my chances are fading. How do they interview through march and april especially if they are almost full. Anyone know the answers to my rambling?

I think that they are interviewing for wait list. They will accept few but mostly is for the wait list.

I would say that they are not interviewing for the waitlist. Just last week I heard that around over half of the 14 people got accepted. If you get an interview in april your chance of getting accepted is usually just as good as interviewing 2 months before. keep trying to show interest. If you are serious about applying you might wanna make a trip to the school and see if you can shadow for the day or sit in on a class.

I have an interview set for Friday, March 13th! Base on what you know, what are the chances of getting accepted by simply being offer an interview? I'm out of state but perfectly align with the primary care to under served mission. I'm an older applicant at 41 years old (one foot in the grave). I've been out of school for many years. I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep with several years of nuclear medicince technology experience. I scored a 25 on MCAT with a 3.2 science GPA. What do ya think?

I have an interview set for Friday, March 13th! Base on what you know, what are the chances of getting accepted by simply being offer an interview? I'm out of state but perfectly align with the primary care to under served mission. I'm an older applicant at 41 years old (one foot in the grave). I've been out of school for many years. I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep with several years of nuclear medicince technology experience. I scored a 25 on MCAT with a 3.2 science GPA. What do ya think?

You got the interview, that means your stats are within the acceptable range(and while not stellar, certainly not at the bottom of the range). Show them your drive at the interview. BTW, I am scheduled to interview on March 13. I grew up in the country, but wow is Pikeville in the middle of nowhere.

When did you guys recieve your invites? It was by mail, right?

You got the interview, that means your stats are within the acceptable range(and while not stellar, certainly not at the bottom of the range). Show them your drive at the interview. BTW, I am scheduled to interview on March 13. I grew up in the country, but wow is Pikeville in the middle of nowhere.

Thank for the information. I look forward to seeing you on the 13th. I'll be the old guy.

By the way, I received my invite in the mail about 10 days ago.

Congrats to you and phillyirish. Just like phillyirish said, you got an interview. So they liked something about you and your stats. I have said this before. I think that they look at more than just your MCAT and GPA although those are important. Show them how bad you want this. I think they like to see if you are serious about this and how serious. Also, I think being a drug rep and other areas besides just the numbers helps you out.

But good luck to you both.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys interviewing on the 13th sound like you both have you stuff together. The professors at our school are really really nice and very personable. In reality I'd say your chances of admission are rather good. It is late in the process so give it all you've got. It's a different interview than most schools. It's shorter than most. They focus more on letting the current students orient the students. Good luck

So I am starting at PCSOM next year, and wanted to know what housing options there are, can any body help me out.

I'm getting restless guys. It's not looking good for me. Its already march. Spots are close to being full. Sigh! Tried calling Angel no answer in the office. When are the upcoming dates they are giving interviews?!

Last week Angel told me not to worry - and my application had about 70 ahead of it, so you're in better shape than me. I think the only upcoming interview date shown on this thread is March 13th, and one of those invites was received two weeks ago, so three weeks before the interview. I think since people learned of their acceptance two days after interviewing back in February, they'll probably get to your application and send something out around St. Patrick's Day....

...just my logic.

in regards to housing information. Call the Hensley housing Co. they always have a lot of openings. If you email Angel she'll forward your email to the students and they usually respond with leads. Good luck and Congrats.

Does anyone know where to find info on places to rent in Pikeville?

So, I had my interview yesterday and I'm not sure what to think about it. We were congratulated for making it this far in the aplication process and told that the interviews were to see if we "fit in" at PCSOM. I thought the interview went well and that I did the best I possibly could. However, one of the interviewers that current students don't like (PhD in micro) told me halfway through the interview that he didn't think I was ready for the curriculum. I thought the interview would end right there but my response was "I think that it's easy to look at me on paper and draw the assumption that I might not be ready, but there's no way you can look inside me and tell how bad I want this and how focused I am. I want this more than anything and I'm fully prepared to dedicate myself to the program". Good answer? Or am I screwed? The interview went on another twenty minutes after that point.

Since you were called for an interview, then your stats are within the acceptable range. I think your answer was good but you could have made it even better with more explanations of how you are focused and how you are prepared. Good luck.

So, I had my interview yesterday and I'm not sure what to think about it. We were congratulated for making it this far in the aplication process and told that the interviews were to see if we "fit in" at PCSOM. I thought the interview went well and that I did the best I possibly could. However, one of the interviewers that current students don't like (PhD in micro) told me halfway through the interview that he didn't think I was ready for the curriculum. I thought the interview would end right there but my response was "I think that it's easy to look at me on paper and draw the assumption that I might not be ready, but there's no way you can look inside me and tell how bad I want this and how focused I am. I want this more than anything and I'm fully prepared to dedicate myself to the program". Good answer? Or am I screwed? The interview went on another twenty minutes after that point.

maherdomd,

I did defend myself but I just wanted to save everyone from my entire story. I think they were pulling the good cop/bad cop on me. But thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it..

That's perfect then.

maherdomd,

I did defend myself but I just wanted to save everyone from my entire story. I think they were pulling the good cop/bad cop on me. But thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it..

Anyone know how full the class is after the past interviews? How long before your interview were you notified of it?

meghalo05,

23 of us interviewed on 3/13, one of the students said there were about 54 spots filled. Normally, they accept 75-80 students. We were told by the dean that odds are, those of us that are accepted will automatically become part of the class of 2014, with a very strong chance of entering in the class of 2013 if someone doesn't confer their acceptance. Also, some acceptances will be given out right for the class of 2013. Those of us who interviewed should expect news of acceptance either tomorrow (3/17), or wednesday. Hope this helps!

meghalo05,

23 of us interviewed on 3/13, one of the students said there were about 54 spots filled. Normally, they accept 75-80 students. We were told by the dean that odds are, those of us that are accepted will automatically become part of the class of 2014, with a very strong chance of entering in the class of 2013 if someone doesn't confer their acceptance. Also, some acceptances will be given out right for the class of 2013. Those of us who interviewed should expect news of acceptance either tomorrow (3/17), or wednesday. Hope this helps!

i was there as well! i am still waiting on a phone call..........this is grueling.....:scared:

so, i got a card saying that i was complete 2/23. its almost been a month and i havent heard anything, acceptance or rejection. i dont know what to think. also, i read earlier that any interviews that are being handed out now are for the waitlist? is that true?

Me either, thank god I have to go to work so I don't sit by the damn phone all day...

didn't they tell us early week though, and each time i call the office, it says we are conducting interviews and that they will be calling tuesday.....more ulcers.....:(

didn't they tell us early week though, and each time i call the office, it says we are conducting interviews and that they will be calling tuesday.....more ulcers.....:(

I was told by the students it'd be 3/17 or 3/18 before they called, maybe since they're so close to being full they're going to do one more round of interviews then hand out acceptances and waitlistings... who knows.. i just want to hear something

I was told by the students it'd be 3/17 or 3/18 before they called, maybe since they're so close to being full they're going to do one more round of interviews then hand out acceptances and waitlistings... who knows.. i just want to hear something

Hi "noke",

I also interviewed on the 13th and have yet to hear anything! ...hopefully soon!

I noticed you reside in Roanoke, VA. I'm in the airport in Roanoke returning from an interview at WVSOM. You live in a BEAUTIFUL area! I am impressed with WVSOM!

Best to all of you!

Hi "noke",

I also interviewed on the 13th and have yet to hear anything! ...hopefully soon!

I noticed you reside in Roanoke, VA. I'm in the airport in Roanoke returning from an interview at WVSOM. You live in a BEAUTIFUL area! I am impressed with WVSOM!

Best to all of you!

Hey Noke and Dem1dem1,

I wish I met you guys on friday.......please keep me posted if you hear anything

wish you both luck :luck:

I called Angel... Acceptances are going to be given out early NEXT week..Thank god....

I'm pretty sure I had the same people interview me back in November. Dr. Laurich is the Ph.D in Micro. I felt like he was going to like eat me. I think he does that to everyone. The first and second years were like they would have been scared if they got him.

I like your answer. Did he ever lighten up after that though?

I called Angel... Acceptances are going to be given out early NEXT week..Thank god....

I feel really bad for you guys right now. I'm glad you all got interviews but the waiting must kill you. I just hope you all get that phone call really soon...best of luck!

I'm pretty sure I had the same people interview me back in November. Dr. Laurich is the Ph.D in Micro. I felt like he was going to like eat me. I think he does that to everyone. The first and second years were like they would have been scared if they got him.

I like your answer. Did he ever lighten up after that though?

I feel really bad for you guys right now. I'm glad you all got interviews but the waiting must kill you. I just hope you all get that phone call really soon...best of luck!

Haha yeah, it was Laurich. He lightened up in the end and overall, seemed interested. Luckily, he didn't really phase me and Dr. Stiles defended my answer and seemed to be most interested of the two. Hopefully, it get that call next week..

Hey there Guys. I know many of you are freaking out about getting acceptance. Let me stress that if you got an interview then they really believe that your statistics are OK. Having said that. If you don't get in this year and you get waitlisted then you have a very good chance of getting accepted the following year. PCSOM is not one of those schools that strings applicants along. Dr. Buser said at the admission interview that if you get waitlisted then your probability of getting accepted by august is very high. They aren't permitted to say with assurance that you will be accepted. Dr. Buser has really done great things with this school and if you are truly interested in PCSOM and don't get in this year. Reapply next year and make sure you call the office and find out what was wrong with your application and FIX IT! and even if you don't improve MCAT or something like that you will show them that you have the intestinal fortitude to reapply. If you do decide to reapply, then do it early. It's a balancing act. For God's sake, apply to more than one school. Apply to like 28 and don't put your eggs all in one basket.

Good luck

Anyone hear anything yet?

Anyone get invites for the last day of interviews? If its on April 3rd shouldnt we have heard by now? what do you all think?

Jesus, must be some real debating going on in the admissions office... Sigh, what's one more week?

Jesus, must be some real debating going on in the admissions office... Sigh, what's one more week?

you will be fine, i am right there with you......actually i think you were in my tour group

you will be fine, i am right there with you......actually i think you were in my tour group

Well, since my interview ended at 4:45PM, I neglected to take the tour. I snuck into the school two week's prior when my buddy was at his law school orientation in Grundy, VA..

On a completely separate note, I just got an interview at WVSOM today...:D

On a completely separate note, I just got an interview at WVSOM today...:D

Which is a good thing because I just got a rejection letter from PCSOM today..:confused: Best of luck to everyone!

sorry about the bad news. Call the school and ask them what your application was lacking and then if you decide to apply again you can show that you've corrected those problems. Did anyone who interviewed that date get in?

Did anyone hear anything, acceptances or interview invites??

I called and Angel said they have one last interview they plan on doing, both for seats and for waitlist. They were supposed to come up with the interview invites end of last week and mail em out sometime after.

So if anyone gets an invite, lets hear about it!

As is one last round of interviews. She didnt say exactly how many seats are still open.

Status
Not open for further replies.