PCSOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last interview is today. Sorry guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone interview on the 3rd? I'm skeptical - they had a stack of applications for review for this date, and the week preceding the interview they were still deciding. Normally this thread is busy with posts around an interview date, but I haven't seen anything regarding last Friday's supposed interviews.

So im giving up on an acceptance now and will be accepting a place at PCOM-GA post bacc program. Does anyone think this could help my chances at getting into pikeville next year? Or at least not hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'll be entering PCSOM in the fall and I was wondering about housing options for my wife and I?
Does anyone know of any good apartments or places for sale that I can ponder through ? Thanks a bunch!

Does anyone know if PCSOM uses system based or subject based learning in its curriculum?

Hey guys, I'll be entering PCSOM in the fall and I was wondering about housing options for my wife and I?
Does anyone know of any good apartments or places for sale that I can ponder through ? Thanks a bunch!

I suggest you to join the PCSOM Class of 2013 group on facebook. A few months ago someone was selling a house.

You can ask Angel for a phone list for the apartments around.

Good luck! We ganna become the best doctors for our patients!

Hey does anyone else have a hard time trying to reach the school? I sent numerous emails but i just cant seem to get a hold of anyone. :( Any suggestions?

Pikeville just made the US news ranking for highest primary care producer ranking. Just thought I'd throw that out there. A good many Osteopathic institutions made the rankings as well.

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience or heard of anything about the Roger Ratliff apartments across the school library?

Anyone know of any furnished apartments/housing for rent in Pikeville?

Congrats on the decision. As far as apartments go: I would try Marvin Hensley (the hensley development) he's a solid landlord and gives med students a discount. Also, try the anthony apartments. Email Angel with what you're looking for and she'll send it out to the second years who are leaving and they might contact you with info. Also, check out the facebook page for the 2013 class and they have some places posted recently. Ridgecliff is a place that always has housing but there are a lot of old people there so if you can deal with an ambulance outside every day then you'll be fine. They're nice apartments. There are some houses around campus that are for rent as well. Your best bet is to call everyone on the list they sent out (I hope that admissions sent one to Ya'll ) and try to get a hold of everyone you can. I had a pretty sweet apartment next to me but I think a upcoming first year might have taken it. Call marvin though and he'll help you out. Good luck !

As a side note:

if you need water turned on there is a $25 charge and they won't do it on the weekend so call them ahead of time.

Call suddenlink a week before you move to set up a time to get internet and Cable hooked up. The internet is actually pretty decent. It'll run you about 110 per month for standard cable and internet.

Call AEP to get your power hooked up a few days before you move in.

Hey guys,

I've actually been researching a lot about PCSOM and I find myself liking the school more and more. I wanted to email the admissions staff with a few questions but I can't find anything on their website. Can someone direct me where to email if you have questions?

Also, I'm from a small town and really want to practice rural family medicine but I'm applying from CT. Am I at a huge disadvantage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I've actually been researching a lot about PCSOM and I find myself liking the school more and more. I wanted to email the admissions staff with a few questions but I can't find anything on their website. Can someone direct me where to email if you have questions?

Also, I'm from a small town and really want to practice rural family medicine but I'm applying from CT. Am I at a huge disadvantage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Contact Angel Hamilton...her email is [email protected]

Apply early tell them what you want to do in your secondary. Everyone has a shot. They do seem to favorite the region though. Regardless of that, they accept many others.

Hey guys,

So I know this is a bit late...but if you can show them that you are dedicated to this region, then I don't think you are disadvantaged at all. They have preached and preached about how they want to serve this area with the med school. All the admissions people I have met with have given me this impression as well.

So they really don't discriminate against people from outside KY at all. I'm not from KY or a small town. It's really all about where you want to practice. Our school is undergoing many changes under Dean Buser. It's a small school but if you learn well in a small environment and can handle living at least two hours from the nearest target then you should check out the school. FYI, they are revamping the website and there will be new links to SGA sites. If you ever want to visit the school they always take students on tours. Congrats to those who are starting in the fall.

Important question!!!
I just came across a potential problem. Im taking the MCAT July 17th, chances are I want get my scores back till August 17th, and i will not be able to have my application completeded to Pikeville till September 17th-Since MCAT scores take about 1 month, and application processing takes about a month too. My question is will I be able to make the 1st round of interviews that take place in October or will i be too late???? Any help...Im pulling my hair out right now :confused:

Helllooo Pikeville!

I am a current applicant in the 2010 cycle and Pikeville is climbing the ranks as one of my top choices. I am from Indianapolis, and my parents moved to a log cabin in southern Indiana in a town of < 900 people, closer to "the region."

I really like the outdoorsy and semi-secluded feel of Pikeville and am excited to help the under served of Eastern Kentucky.

For those of you MS-I or MS-II students, what are your weekends like? (Sans studying) Do you find you are close to your classmates? What kinds of activities to you partake in? Just trying to get a feel for the area and the student body. Any insight is much appreciated! Thanks!

Helllooo Pikeville!

I am a current applicant in the 2010 cycle and Pikeville is climbing the ranks as one of my top choices. I am from Indianapolis, and my parents moved to a log cabin in southern Indiana in a town of < 900 people, closer to "the region."
QUOTE]

Haha I have a very similar story...I am from Evansville originally and my parents now live in a log cabin that is a whoppin' 5 minutes from eastern kentucky (in Vevay, IN). What town are your parents in? I'm hoping the experiences with that will offer some sort of edge in applying to Pikeville this cycle, should I end up re-applying there.

Hey guys I'm also applying for the 2010 cycle. I'm taking the MCAT on July 17th 3 days away!!! Im from Louisville Ky which is also not far away. I took a tour of Pikeville a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like a really an awesome school. It seemed like since the class size is so small that all the students all have great interactions with one another and all work together for the same common goal. Hope to see you guys in Pikeville next fall.

funny story...i was shadowing a DO last week and a patient asked me what school i would like to go to? and I told him "Pikeville"! But he said "NO NO NO your not going to get in to that school saying it like that...its pronounced Pyk-vuhl" hahahahaha. Im orignally from Philadelphia so I dont have that southern twang yet.

good luck guys

-Victor

Does anyone know if Pikeville will consider Mississippi residents for their school. Mississippi only has one medical school in the entire state, and its a M.D. program. Technically, the "Apalachian area" stops right before Mississippi. I am very interested in this school, so some input would be great. Especially from some current students who might know other students from Mississippi... Thx

Does anyone know when and which step1 board review books are given? Also is the grading system in percentage or Pass/Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.