PCSOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of two people from Canada currently at our school. They both attended U.S. Undergraduate Colleges.

As far as housing goes, I live in the Anthony apartments. They are located on Grace avenue between the Appalachian Wireless and Community Trust bank.Close to school and has gated parking. There are 4 floors and our mainly occupied by medical students. I pay around $515 for apartment not including electricity. Cable is already hooked up in my apartment. If you are interested in these apartments I would say call them ASAP b/c they usually go fast and usually there's a waiting list. They are owned by Hensley Development.

There are a couple of students who pay only $150/month through govt. assisted living. There are a couple of townhouses which are nice and a few other apartment complexes that are occupied by medical students. Hope this helps!

Do you have a phone number for these apartments? I put in my deposit Monday of this week and want to find something nice to live in for the fall...thanks for the info

ive been trying to get hold of them over the phone and email for almost 3 weeks no response..i need to know if they got my secondary

can someone please tell me a more reliable phone number and email address? who is Angel??

Angel handles all the admission paperwork. She is extremely nice and you get to meet her if you get an interview. Her phone number is 606-218-5406. Her e-mail is [email protected]. I would recommend calling her on Monday - Friday from anywhere between 9-4. She will help you as much as possible. http://www.pc.edu/pcsom/academicaffairs/default.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to those who have been accepted. As far as living arrangements. I wouldn't worry to much about that until the 1st of the year. The current 2nd years will find out their rotation spots around the 1st of march so after then many of the landlords will have an idea of who will be where. I highly recommend Marvin Hensley. He's a great landlord and loves the med students. Also, they do give you scrubs when you are accepted but I would go ahead and maybe ask for a few more sets of scrubs for Christmas because you will be wearing them ALOT! Oh and I forgot to mention that you might want to watch the BRAVO special on PCSOM.

here and the link is the fifth profile video under Pikeville college. It's a pretty good synopsis of our school mission.

http://www.veoh.com/channels/profilesseries

Enjoy.

Alright, perhaps I'm just looking for validation, but heres my question:

I have just about finished fall semester and have no interviews/rejections so far. I have just gotten an A- in Biochem and an A-in human phys and my electives are also in the A- range (I took mainly all science courses).

Do ya'll think this might get me over the hump? I planned on sending out my transcripts once the official GPA is calculated.

I know Pikeville looks for more than just grades in an applicant but I thought this might help, i'm just not sure how much

Thanks for any opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, perhaps I'm just looking for validation, but heres my question:

I have just about finished fall semester and have no interviews/rejections so far. I have just gotten an A- in Biochem and an A-in human phys and my electives are also in the A- range (I took mainly all science courses).

Do ya'll think this might get me over the hump? I planned on sending out my transcripts once the official GPA is calculated.

I know Pikeville looks for more than just grades in an applicant but I thought this might help, i'm just not sure how much

Thanks for any opinion!
That is great! It will definitely benefit you. I don't know if you are going to just send the transcript or go through aacomas. I would call Angel and ask her which is better. The faster you get it in would be better but dont know if you have to do it through aacomas. Good luck

oh wow, thanks for that I totally forgot about aacomas... I will def. call Angel, it might also be cheaper to just send one through aacomas.

So I called Angel today and she said they wont make a decision on my application till after January. aka more patience!!! im getting so flustered with waiting. I had a question and hopefully those MS1 pikeville students may answer it. When did most of you get accepted, send your deposit, etc. I asked Angel today and she said only 13 spots are filled and they will take 75 max. I know they have lower averages for GPA and MCAT scores so where do they draw the line for choosing who they ask for interviews? I scored fairly poorly on my MCAT with just over a 20. I know for a fact of one individual from my state (Indiana) who got in with a 19 MCAT score. I'm gettin kind of worried?! I'm fairly optimistic but then I get pessimistic. But I know they wont necessarily choose those with high MCAT because their average MCAT is low. Does anyone feel where I'm coming from? Love to hear from you all and see what some first years at Pikeville think?! Thanks guys

So I called Angel today and she said they wont make a decision on my application till after January. aka more patience!!! im getting so flustered with waiting. I had a question and hopefully those MS1 pikeville students may answer it. When did most of you get accepted, send your deposit, etc. I asked Angel today and she said only 13 spots are filled and they will take 75 max. I know they have lower averages for GPA and MCAT scores so where do they draw the line for choosing who they ask for interviews? I scored fairly poorly on my MCAT with just over a 20. I know for a fact of one individual from my state (Indiana) who got in with a 19 MCAT score. I'm gettin kind of worried?! I'm fairly optimistic but then I get pessimistic. But I know they wont necessarily choose those with high MCAT because their average MCAT is low. Does anyone feel where I'm coming from? Love to hear from you all and see what some first years at Pikeville think?! Thanks guys

I am not a MS1 but I am one of those that got accepted.

At PCSOM, I think it is more than just GPA and MCAT scores. It mainly focuses on people from around the region. You just have to see if you get an interview...

The thing is many who go there who are not from the region. I even heard that there are Canadian students who go there. So I cannot get my hands on how their focus is on people only from the region. Canada is definitely not Appalachia.

wrong forum

Last edited:
The thing is many who go there who are not from the region. I even heard that there are Canadian students who go there. So I cannot get my hands on how their focus is on people only from the region. Canada is definitely not Appalachia.

Everyone isn't from the region, I understand.

The priority is just USUALLY set for people around the region. I'm sorry you have to wait until January...

I wouldn't worry about from being from the region or not. Everyone has a chance. It's always better to put your name in the hat then not at all. So good luck to everyone in the new year for getting interviews and acceptances. I am glad that I got accepted to PCSOM and would not have chose another place. Like they say, the best school for me is the one that accepted me!!

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I came upon this statistic of Pikeville that none of their 2007 graduates were admitted to their first choice residency program? Do you all know how true this is? If so, does that have anything to say regarding the University or the individual applicants? What do you guys think?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/med/items/04148

If you check all of the schools you will find that they all have either N/A or 0% for that statistic. I would say that information is not normally reported for the public view. And US News is really not a good source for osteopathic schools IMO.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I came upon this statistic of Pikeville that none of their 2007 graduates were admitted to their first choice residency program? Do you all know how true this is? If so, does that have anything to say regarding the University or the individual applicants? What do you guys think?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/med/items/04148

Did not follow the link, but most all of my friends from 2007 got their 1st choice.

Cheers,
E-

first: the residency 0% thing is false. I would venture to say that more people get their first choice residency at PCSOM because they don't apply over their head into residency. Any way, In regards to the MCAT and GPA of PCSOM. I know that each year the difficulty of admission increases. Our average is not below other DO schools and our GPA is not either. However, If you have a low GPA or MCAT they won't cross you out like other aloof schools might. The MCAT means jack diddly once you get in anyway. Don't get discouraged at all. I interviewed in january and got in and I know many people who interviewed later and got accepted. As crazy as this might sound. PCSOM was a school I didn't expect to get an invite from since I wasn't really in app. region. If your goals match with that of the school then they'll see that like a badge on your shirt. If you try to miff them and fake like you want to be Primary care DO then they'll see you for who you are and you'll get axed even if you have a 35 and 4.0 (and yes this has happened). Be genuine and good luck.

So has anybody new heard anything from Pikeville? Does anyone have any interview invites? I am guessing that they have some interviews in January. Well good luck to everyone.

I just attended a three day pharmacology board review taught by a professor from your school (Dr. Harris) and it was unbelievably kick ass. Even though we were in class for close to 8 h/d, I was at the edge of my seat for most of it. I found myself actually learning and appreciating pharmacology for the first time in nearly two years of medical school. I never thought reviewing pharmacology could be so much fun. You guys are lucky to have him...a truly outstanding teacher. :thumbup:

Still havn't heard a thing. I've been trying to call but I bet they're busy with the holidays. I'll probably try again, just to make sure it's all rolling smoothly. Im hoping they have decided to look a little more outside the region now so maybe an interview shortly (course my excuse for not having one yet is that i'm outside the region, whatever, it makes me feel better to think that!)

So mroof1, if you're bored or feel like it, tell me some things you liked about Pikeville. I've never seen it, only read the literature and interviews on it. It seems like a nice small town with some history to it (and isnt there some kind of annual hillbilly festival?) :laugh:

ANyway, im just jawing on, hope everyones having a good end to the holidays and goodluck to those still hoping!

Still havn't heard a thing. I've been trying to call but I bet they're busy with the holidays. I'll probably try again, just to make sure it's all rolling smoothly. Im hoping they have decided to look a little more outside the region now so maybe an interview shortly (course my excuse for not having one yet is that i'm outside the region, whatever, it makes me feel better to think that!)

So mroof1, if you're bored or feel like it, tell me some things you liked about Pikeville. I've never seen it, only read the literature and interviews on it. It seems like a nice small town with some history to it (and isnt there some kind of annual hillbilly festival?) :laugh:

ANyway, im just jawing on, hope everyones having a good end to the holidays and goodluck to those still hoping!

Hillbilly Days!!! It happens around later April and last a couple of days. It is basically all of downtown Pikeville. It has food and things you can buy. That is the time Pikeville gets REALLY crowded.

I just attended a three day pharmacology board review taught by a professor from your school (Dr. Harris) and it was unbelievably kick ass. Even though we were in class for close to 8 h/d, I was at the edge of my seat for most of it. I found myself actually learning and appreciating pharmacology for the first time in nearly two years of medical school. I never thought reviewing pharmacology could be so much fun. You guys are lucky to have him...a truly outstanding teacher. :thumbup:

thanks. I have heard really good things about him as well. I am looking forward to his lectures.

wackyfizzle: I know one of people's complaints is the small town of Pikeville and nothing to do. I am from a small city, though not as small as Pikeville. This is not a problem for me. I look at it as a good thing. I want to be the best doctor that I can be and want to stay away from distractions. Personally, I think this is a plus for Pikeville. It is a very nice small town with history. It is where part of the Hatfield/McCoy feud took place. It has a lot of outdoor activities with beautiful landscape. And I just read that Hillbilly days is the 2nd biggest event in Ky behind the Ky derby. I will stop jawing there for now. Add more later.

Last edited:
I received my "yellow postcard" from Pikeville back in late November/early December sometime, so I know they have all of my paperwork in - but still no word about an interview. Should I still hold on to some hope or should I stop rushing to the mailbox everyday?

Im in the same situation as you mebridges. I called Angel yesterday and she said they still have not made a decision on my application, everything is in, committee has just not gotten to my application yet. She said 30 spots have been filled so far, and they take 75. So there is still a lot of spots remaining which is a good thing. I would not give up hope yet, they interview all the way through April but this patience concept is sure something. Good luck everyone.

mebridges and meghalo05, I would keep up the good work. I know the patience thing is tough but trust me it is worth it. Keep contacting them and let them know that you are interested. If you have anything new or updated let them know. If you are in a new class, new grade or signed up for some volunteering activity let them know as well.
I would say just keep the hope and dont give up. Sorry I couldnt give you more encouraging news.

I just have to give a quick shout out to Angel. she is super nice and Im happy that if I have to be calling someone in this process that I get to call her!

Hope everyone is getting thier good news!

Hi
Im a Senior at the university of louisville and i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on PCSOM. I will mostly graduate with a 3.1 GPA (TONS OF B's!!!!! nothing lower then a C) with a BA in Biology. Im currently in the MCAT kaplan program and it looks as if i could have a chance of scoring around 30. What are my chances?
Thank you

Hi, I'm going to an interview at PCSOM on feb. 13th. does anybody know where the nearest airport is? also, any advice on where to stay? Thanks!

Hey guys,
How soon after getting your yellow card were you given an interview invite? Was it by phone?

Hey guys,
How soon after getting your yellow card were you given an interview invite? Was it by phone?

If you do get an interview, you will get something in the mail telling you about the interview date. It has information about hotels and other things around Pikeville.

I forgot how long it took for my interview after my yellow card was mailed to me.

Hi, I'm going to an interview at PCSOM on feb. 13th. does anybody know where the nearest airport is? also, any advice on where to stay? Thanks!

The nearest MAJOR airport is in either Louisville or Lexington in Kentucky. That would be a pretty long drive though. There is a tiny airport in Pikeville but I doubt you could get a flight in there.

Speaking of hotels, there is a nice new Hampton Inn near PCSOM. There are other minor hotels around the downtown area. I'm sure it won't be problem getting a room to stay in.

I would say check the rates, but I would fly into Lexington. It is a 2 1/2 hr drive from there. I drove from home which was 6 1/2 hrs. The drive from Lexington to Pikeville is very winding and starts out 4 lanes but turns to 2 lanes. There might be some airports on the West Virg. or Virg side that is feasible. Sorry I cant give you more info on that as I did not fly myself.

Hey guys,
Like Tnig469 said, you will get a interview invite packet in the mail with directions, times and other info. I would say it was about 2 weeks to a month until you will get an interview invite. But just because you dont get anything by that time frame, it doesnt mean you wont get anything.

Good luck to you both!

If you don't want to drive on the road from lexington then I would fly into huntington WV or Charleston WV and drive down 23 it's about the same distance and it's a way easier drive. The hotels that are the best to stay in are the Holiday inn express and the Hampton inn. The hampton inn is about 90 dollars but the hotel is really really nice in my opinion and you can walk right over to the school for the interview. If you're looking for some good food the mexican place in pikeville has the best food I've had (I've eaten a lot of mexican too) so you could check that out. Good luck to those interviewing and if you have any questions then give me a shout.

ps: the mexican place is El Azul Grande

Thanks for the support and encouragement. It has been very hard waiting so long and being so patient... but I finally got an interview invite!

I'll be there on Feb. 13! :)

I had my secondary turned in sometime in mid-November, so it took two months to get my interview letter - but at least I got it and I am so excited!

good luck to everyone else who is interviewing soon! :xf:wish me luck!

thank you guys for the info about the flights, hotels, and food. im definitely gonna check out that mexican place. see yall on the 13th!

Thanks for the support and encouragement. It has been very hard waiting so long and being so patient... but I finally got an interview invite!

I'll be there on Feb. 13! :)

I had my secondary turned in sometime in mid-November, so it took two months to get my interview letter - but at least I got it and I am so excited!

good luck to everyone else who is interviewing soon! :xf:wish me luck!

thank you guys for the info about the flights, hotels, and food. im definitely gonna check out that mexican place. see yall on the 13th!
Good luck on the interviews. Don't be stressed out at all. The mood is very friendly and the first and second years are their to answer any questions you have.

The Mexican place has excellent food...I recommend Nachoes El Azul or Pollo Bandido. Those seem to be the most popular!

I'm happy for you guys!

So I called Angel the other day, she said there are about 75 applications ahead of me that are to be viewed. I e-mailed my last semester grades/unofficial transcript to them and e-mailed a letter of intent. I'm starting to get really impatient! Any current Pikeville students able to give some input on when they got interview invites, and if they e-mailed letter of intents. Anyone else still been completed for a while and no interview yet?! Somebody tell me something!! How many applicants does the committee go through in one sitting?!

I have been complete since October and have heard nothing. Angel said im still being reviewed though she didnt say anything about how many im behind.

I sent in a letter of intent (while ago) and I have a new steller transcript, so heres hoping i hear something!

Hi
Im a Senior at the university of louisville and i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on PCSOM. I will mostly graduate with a 3.1 GPA (TONS OF B's!!!!! nothing lower then a C) with a BA in Biology. Im currently in the MCAT kaplan program and it looks as if i could have a chance of scoring around 30. What are my chances?
Thank you

Hi
Thank you

You will probably have to wait until the next cycle. A 30 on the MCAT is a great score for PCSOM and your GPA isn't too bad.

Since you did go to UofL, I assume you are from Kentucky which can be a good thing.

If you have some ECs and some shadowing then I say you have a good chance with all the above I stated. Just make sure you have good LOR. You could apply this cycle but I think the deadline is very soon. I wish you the best.

if you score well on the MCAT then you will have an easier time getting in. However, It's not all the scores and you should beef up ECs and shadowing for sure. Also, the fact that you are instate helps too. Take the MCAT and work hard this summer and apply in the next year.

To those who are pulling their hair out over admission. I understand the feeling and am right there with you. Be patient and you will hear from them. PCSOM tends to do interviews all at once. They have 1 or 2 weekends a month that they schedule the interviews so you still might be on the docket. There are people in my class who interviewed as late as april and got in so it is very possible. Quite a few people interviewed in feb. and march. Don't stress out yet and just be confident and show interest. Also, in the grand scheme of things. I learned to not put all your eggs in one basket. APPLY everywhere! except the Carrib. spread yourself out and try to improve your chances. Good luck and I hope to see some of you at orientation this summer

:xf:Thanks for that little message of hope!

I might just leave that last clump of hair in my head after all.
I'm still here hoping and waiting.

Great! thanks for the words of incouragement. Im actually planning on applying in June for the 2010 fall cycle. I figured if i applied early i would have the best chance.

I do have one more question:
My EC include the following:
1. Worked at Cancer Center for 6 months
2. 4 Year Lacrosse for UofL co-captain and vice president
3. volunteered High school lacrosse coach for 4 yrs.

Do you think this is good enough????
thanks

Last edited:
Sorry i also shadowed 3 DO and they told me that they would all write me a strong recommendation.

Great! thanks for the words of incouragement. Im actually planning on applying in June for the 2010 fall cycle. I figured if i applied early i would have the best chance.

I do have one more question:
My EC include the following:
1. Worked at Cancer Center for 6 months
2. 4 Year Lacrosse for UofL co-captain and vice president
3. volunteered High school lacrosse coach for 4 yrs.

Do you think this is good enough????
thanks

Hey Hex311, that looks good. I would recommend a couple more though. A good thing about DO schools that I looked at and especially PCSOM, is they look at the whole candidate. They look at the scores, gpa, ECs, shadowing, LOR and personal statement among anything else in your file. That being said, I would recommend some more ECs to pump up your app. I would say try to find some more medical places, like local ER or medical clinics, to volunteer at. You can also find some other places besides medical to volunteer with. If you can find anything in your community to show that you are involved, multidimensional, that you want this more than anything. I am not trying to cut you down and you have a great start. This is just what I would recommend from personal experience. Good luck though.

Wackyfizzle, dont pull all that hair out. You will need some left for medical school....:D

Thanks again for the help, yea believe it or not Im having great difficulty finding an ER of local clinic of some sort to volunteer. A lot of them told me that they are only working with medicals students believe it or not...very frustrating.

I'm sure your local rescue squad could use another EMT....

I've noticed in a lot of these medical school stat books that the % instate interviews and aceptances for KY is high. The interview % for people that had applied for instate was about 95% and accepted about 70% how much of that is true??? just curious
Thanks

To anyone that knows whats up:

So Im at a lost as to what I should do this coming year. I feel that my chances of acceptance are very slim so I need a back up plan. I know pumping up my application is essential, but i already have some steller LOR's and I believe the MCAT is my downfall. Should I do a biomed post bacc (even though Im reapplying before those classes even start) or should I get a job and retake the MCAT (retaking MCAT no matter what actually)... Should I just give up on med school and be some kind of call girl? (it can pay well if I get my hands on a political figure)

I dont know if PCSOM has any post bacc programs but i would be interested in at least finding out. Let me know if anyone has some good ideas!

Thanks

Im going to LECOM erie this fall, and Ive heard that they have a great postbacc program.

If that doesnt pan out, the call girl plan might be an interesting idea haha

I got the call this morning - I am officially in the PCSOM class of 2013!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.